Nice area to stop over?

47steve

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Anyone recommend a nice place to stay for 1 night between Koblenz and Calais? Either Belgium or France. Just trying to break the route back into a more leisurely ride.

TA Steve

Givet.

Choose your hotel according to your budget and your paranoia level, there’s plenty of choice.

Anywhere along the axis, Rochefort, Givet, Chimay, Cambrai. Assuming that is you do not loop up towards Brussels. Most of the towns / larger villages in that part of the Ardennes are OK.

As suggested by Wapping, Rochefort is a nice place and if you’re taking a rag shed there’s a good campsite 5 minutes walk from the town centre.

Strange times, so it rather depends when you are going & your outlook on local Hotel regs. Easy enough to use booking.com or whatever.

Maastrict NL is a busy hub. We normally use the Crowne Plaza.

Bouillon BE has a pleasant aspect, but adds miles, then bimble along the N40, through Givet FR maybe? Avoids Brussels ring.

Dinant, maybe - between the cliffs on the Meuse - visit the Citadel (cable-car)

Dinant is kind of midway if you avoid autoroutes and take a scenic route.

2621acb159f58ecd7a0b7a126adcf7e6.jpg

It’s even got an Ibis,though they failed to locate in an industrial estate surrounded by brothels......

53fb57c1014182d3c6b2e95501a57334.jpg

Stayed there in about 2005 the week it opened.

Rocroi is a small, historic town fortified by Vauban with a lot of history.
It’s so small you could walk round it in an hour or so, so perfect (in my mind) for an overnight. It’s got the usual lovely square to sit, have a beer or coffee and watch the locals coming and going.

Attachments

• D257F966-B4AC-4CE8-B451-5BEE853B0D57.jpeg
    D257F966-B4AC-4CE8-B451-5BEE853B0D57.jpeg
    71 KB · Views: 303
Rocroi is a lovely little town to stop over for a lunch while touring the area but I’d have thought it’s a bit small to get much selection in the way of hotels.

There are, according to the blurb, two hotels in Rocroi. Given its size though, I would probably book. I have only ever stooped there for a coffee or lunch.

Bouillon, Belgium is about 180m from Koblenz then a further 210m to Calais.
I can recommend the Hotel de la Poste. Secure parking, good grub and a nice
setting by a river in the centre of town.

Back
Top Bottom