1983 z650

I have a 1984 GPZ1100 that sat in the garage for 22 years and is now almost ready for the road again. I remember once taking it to 150 and thinking never again! it was all over the place, so I'm not expecting too much when it goes back on the road, hopefully within the next couple of weeks once the forks come back from re-chroming.
I also managed to but a 1978 Z650 a month ago which was a non runner, managed to get it going in an hour but it needs a new starter clutch which will be next on the list once the GPz is on the road
I've decided rather than spend the best part of 10k to change to a 1250GS to spend the money on bikes i remember growing up in the 70's, so now looking for a CB750K as a project but they are making ridiculous money just now.

Is your Gpz still running injection? It's surprising how many are still running it. I have a couple of old magazine comparison tests from the early eighties and for a short time in the early eighties the Gpz1100 was the king of the road and the fastest thing out of the crate. In a big 8 bike shoot out in Super Bike in the early eighties the big Z acquitted itself well against the opposition until the smaller more powerful water cooled bikes appeared on the scene.
Your z650 and a CB750K will be two cracking machines to enjoy for years to come and both are desirable which should be good for future values. I don't buy old stuff expecting a profit but it's nice when they do increase in value rather than depreciate like new stuff does.

I stripped the carbs on the z650 this afternoon and it looks like a previous owner had a go at the outside carbs but not the middle two. The carbs are removed by pushing the airbox rubber boots back into the airbox but they have become stiff so it turned into a slow job but at least I didn't split any of the rubber. Yet.
I will clean the carbs sometime during next week hopefully and get the bike running next weekend fingers crossed.

Yes the GPz is still original apart from the paintwork and even has the full rear mudguard. The fuel pump had seized with sitting so long but started working once removed and connected directly to a battery and given a gentle tap with a hammer. Two of the injectors had also stuck but again direct to a battery and they freed off, can't believe how easy it started after sitting so long. Whilst waiting for the forks I've carried out a lot of work to get it ready for the road again.
All brakes, battery, tyres and forks along with other bits and bobs that soon added up to a grand, but I expected that tbh

The Z650 has had the original air box removed and a set of K&N filters fitted along with a Harris 4 into 1 which was popular at the time. It was bought as a non runner, there was a wire disconnected from the ignition which was traced within an hour and it started, albeit there is a fuel leak form the feed pipe going into the carbs and the starter clutch is noisy, but it started and that's the main thing, nothing that a bit of time won't fix. I'm really looking forward to getting it on the road but one at a time.

Also managed to pick up a 20 year old 1150GS a couple of weeks ago that wasn't running and had been kept outside for last 3 years. Hall sensor and new starter and it lives again as well but needs some tlc.

I'm going to be busy for the next wee while!

Most of the bikes coming from Japanese manufacturers do nothing for me at all these days,
Most IMO look hideous.
Kawasakis new z900 is a nice looking bike,
But as reworked retro style bikes go,this would be the one for me,don’t know if it’s ever going to get built:confused:

Just been out for a ride with my mate and he gave his 1984 GPZ900 an airing, it is one of the early ones and is still original but has been recently fettled and it is running beautifully. It goes like a stabbed rat, powering on out of the bends he was just gone into the distance, I was on my 1250 Bandit and that has some grunt but the GPZleft me in the dust. I'll see if I can get a photo of it.

Back
Top Bottom