New Software

Updating mine now. It's always wise to do a big update just before a trip. :D

Totally.
Last time I did it, I got out the other side of the chunnel, turned on the satnav and it was blank. :D

Totally.
Last time I did it, I got out the other side of the chunnel, turned on the satnav and it was blank. :D

I plonked our hotel for the first night in France into it, and all is good. You can tell if the maps are there by dragging the map to France then zooming in, and you'll see all the roads.

Garmin won't get the better of me again, oh no they won't! :rob :D

You can tell if the maps are there by dragging the map to France then zooming in, and you'll see all the roads.

I did the map and software update (stupidly) overnight before leaving.
I don't really need the sat nav to go to the eurotunnel, so I turned it on at the first service station after Calais and SURPRISE!
The update apparently failed overnight, and instead of rolling back to the previous map state, it just left the sat nav blank.
It was that piece of shit 660 I had.

I usually travel the same route when I travel down to Italy... I remember the roads, I was just pissed off because I had some specific detours routed this time and they went down the drain.

I managed to re-download the entire 4gigs and more of maps from the mobile phone tethered to my mac, in roaming, while eating takeaway pizza alone on an hotel bed (I'll leave you with this image :D ) on the second day I think.

I keep buying Garmin stuff. But, hey, I grew up Catholic. We have to suffer. :D

My 660 never let me down, but it just lacked the adventurous/curvy route function which is massively useful (IMHO).

It was a complete and utter piece of junk. :D
I sold it to someone here on UKGSer last year. No complaints, so I assume he's been happy with it. Sadly the sale post got lost. It was my love letter to that thing.

My 660 never let me down, but it just lacked the adventurous/curvy route function which is massively useful (IMHO).

but the garmin curvy route is really shit compared to the tom tom one imo :D

Not used a TT, but I'll see how the XT adventurous routing performs week after next with his nibs :D

And before Wappers pipes in :D, I'll be sure to add in some waypoints for the routing rather than use 'the force'....;)

Not used a TT, but I'll see how the XT adventurous routing performs week after next with his nibs :D

And before Wappers pipes in :D, I'll be sure to add in some waypoints for the routing rather than use 'the force'....;)

let us know how the xt adventurous routing works out

Really? I don't use a TT but I've followed someone who does, and TTs idea of curvy routes seems to be to divert off a bypass/main road into a village and out again just to get a few corners in. I don't usually trust algorithms to come up with an entertaining route - I prefer to plot it myself - but I've been very impressed with the Kurviger 'curvy route' algorithm. It seems to avoid or bypass towns though it does have a bit of a tendency to favour goat tracks.

Really? I don't use a TT but I've followed someone who does, and TTs idea of curvy routes seems to be to divert off a bypass/main road into a village and out again just to get a few corners in. I don't usually trust algorithms to come up with an entertaining route - I prefer to plot it myself - but I've been very impressed with the Kurviger 'curvy route' algorithm. It seems to avoid or bypass towns though it does have a bit of a tendency to favour goat tracks.

I find the XT does the same as TT Jeremy, villages with bends.

I agree re Kurviger, it's obviously been coded to stay away from curvy village roads..!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just came back from a trip in Spain and France and I'm buying an XT, my friends XT adventure routes gave us the rides of our lives absolutely brill piece of kit.

Now available:

Garmin Express update (v 7.2.2.0)

Software update (v 2.90)

Maps updated with 2021.10 (i was a bit slow on this update :D)

Back
Top Bottom