R1250RT-P Horn Issue, Please Help

Ridefree

Reaction score
I have purchased a 2019 R1250RT-P and I am converting it to a 2 seater. I have everything working except the horn. It did not originally have a horn installed (police setup), so I installed a Denali Soundbomb Mini onto the factory plug. However, when I push the horn button, it does nothing.
I connected my GS-911 went to central vehicle electronics/service functions/actuate horn and the horn blows and is super loud. I believe because it was originally setup as a police bike, somehow I have to reprogram it to blow the horn when I push the button. Anyone have any idea how to do that?

I have purchased a 2019 R1250RT-P and I am converting it to a 2 seater. I have everything working except the horn. It did not originally have a horn installed (police setup), so I installed a Denali Soundbomb Mini onto the factory plug. However, when I push the horn button, it does nothing.
I connected my GS-911 went to central vehicle electronics/service functions/actuate horn and the horn blows and is super loud. I believe because it was originally setup as a police bike, somehow I have to reprogram it to blow the horn when I push the button. Anyone have any idea how to do that?

Now this is coming from memory but, think to run a sound bomb you have to have a relay in the system to satisfy the can bus and some have had to run the sound bomb and have the standard horn connected, so effectively two horns. Have a search on the LT forums bmwlt.com there has been a few who have connected sound bombs on RTs.

Now this is coming from memory but, think to run a sound bomb you have to have a relay in the system to satisfy the can bus and some have had to run the sound bomb and have the standard horn connected, so effectively two horns. Have a search on the LT forums bmwlt.com there has been a few who have connected sound bombs on RTs.

I replaced the standard Horn on my GSA 1250 with the same "Soundbomb Mini" and only needed to removed the standard Horn and fit the Denalli using the adapter cable for it to plug into the standard BMW Horn connector. No relay or other changes were needed. I think a Relay is only required with the full sized Soundbomb.

I replaced the standard Horn on my GSA 1250 with the same "Soundbomb Mini" and only needed to removed the standard Horn and fit the Denalli using the adapter cable for it to plug into the standard BMW Horn connector. No relay or other changes were needed. I think a Relay is only required with the full sized Soundbomb.

Cool, I'll see if I can find the thread, doubt if the RT is any different to a GS wiring wise :) Yes looks like the mini is fine as long as you have the correct attachment cable. So not the OPs issue, must be something in the wiring. I have a RTp in the garage at the moment and the horn uses the two tone horns on the crash bars, so no standard horn.

Yeah, my issue is a little different. I'm using the Soundbomb mini which doesn't need a relay but plugs in right where the stock horn would and only draws 5amps or under. On most bikes, it would be just plug it in and go. I think because it was a police bike, something has to happen before it will work, but I'm not sure what. Wondering if anyone has experience with this. I may end up having to take it into the dealer to get it programmed but I'm hoping there's something I can do. The dealer is 3hrs away.

Thats exactly the setup I used. I can get it to activate like I mentioned above with the GS-911 and it sounds great. The button does nothing though. I've read they are usually dead on police bikes because they use the sirens for everything.

Thats exactly the setup I used. I can get it to activate like I mentioned above with the GS-911 and it sounds great. The button does nothing though. I've read they are usually dead on police bikes because they use the sirens for everything.

Give these guys a call, they are not a garage per say, but they did some reprogramming of the buttons on one of our RTps so will be able to advise http://www.vehicledevelopments.co.uk

What was the outcome of this situation? I have a 2015 R1200 RT-P and would really like to have a operative horn. Any suggestions or assistance would be most appreciated.

Ridefree, that is correct, the "horn" on a job bike is programmed through the siren unit, basically a "bullhorn" initially then a separate button is pressed to initiate the siren, through the various tones.

Back
Top Bottom