Time for an upgrade

Mikey

well just a little twisted
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm going to upgrade my prat nav so what's the must have device of the moment?

I had a similar dilemma

narrowed it down to the Zummo 595 and the XT

in the end i went for the 595 as it was considerably cheaper and only a few less functions none of which i would have expected to have used on the XT but my main consideration was the size as i think that the XT is larger and would have protruded over the screen on my pikes peak

Zummo 595 or a TomTom equivalent.

Or, as so many these days do, use your phone.

In short it depends on what you want to do with the device and / or your money and / or how much you want to create your own routes in Garmin / TomTom’s software or any of the myriad of third party software.

I often think about how much I paid new for the Nav V when I could have used my phone, but then altering course, taking short cuts on a route or just getting myself out of trouble is so much easier on the fly using the little thumb wheel. I’m still sold on it!

I love the TomTom winding route option. It may well be that the Garmin has the equivalent.
It is great for unplanned "I'm here, I'd like to go there, plan me a really twisty turny route" and the last 10 or so I've done have led to some amazing rides that I've really enjoyed using roads if never have found otherwise.

I have a phone that I cant get a decent waterproof mounting option for, and have had my previous phone overheat and shut off at a critical point on a journey through France, so am reluctant to use my phone as a primary navigation tool again in the bike.

I have been using a Garmin Zumo 390 for some time and it works fine. 2015 I think I bought it. Simply clamp it to the bars with a U bolt or the clutch housing adapter supplied in the kit.

The 390 has evolved into the 396 and is £290 on Amazon

Summary to date:

1. Use a phone. This assumes you have a phone that is capable of running additional applications effectively. It also assumes that you can waterproof it properly and maybe that you can power it on the move. Phone may overheat.

2. Use a TomTom. Great winding roads option, though Garmin may have an option that is as good.

3. Use a Garmin. The integrated whirly wheel on BMW's is great but is not applicable, as you do not own a BMW. You are not obliged to buy the latest model; 'lesser' spec'ed variants are good. For example, 390 / 396.

or, looked at another way....

In short it depends on what you want to do with the device and / or your money and / or how much you want to create your own routes in Garmin / TomTom’s software or any of the myriad of third party software.

my main consideration was the size as i think that the XT is larger and would have protruded over the screen on my pikes peak

I can confirm that :blast

But the XT is the best Garmin to date, IMO.

Summary to date:

1. Use a phone. This assumes you have a phone that is capable of running additional applications effectively. It also assumes that you can waterproof it properly and maybe that you can power it on the move. Phone may overheat.

2. Use a TomTom. Great winding roads option, though Garmin may have an option that is as good.

3. Use a Garmin. The integrated whirly wheel on BMW's is great but is not applicable, as you do not own a BMW. You are not obliged to buy the latest model; 'lesser' spec'ed variants are good. For example, 390 / 396.
Thanks for the summing up. I'm not a great believer in having the latest and best, I've still got an old Zumo 550.

Never had a Tom Tom so that's a bit of an unknown, but it's only a sat nav so not rocket science.

Not considering my phone but that's a personal choice.

Decisions, decisions............

Zumo 550 still with its 13 year old maps works for me.
My car now has built in satnav so the Zumo is in functioning old age (like me!), we can decline into senility together.
tom

I can confirm that :blast

But the XT is the best Garmin to date, IMO.

I have to agree. And bought from https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_search?s=Zumo+XT , cheaper than you can buy a 595 most places. TBF, I've migrated from a using a 550 for years and the contrast between it and how Garmin have improved the Zumo is massive. Certainly fast, clear, great functionality, many features I'll never be interested in but wireless connectivity to phone and Cardo and a fantastically bright screen, it was in the end a no brainer as they say. Its a bit like when you buy a new computer, always buy the newest and best you can afford at the time. The technology is improving all the time.
Agree also however, that as a really cheap efficient alternative, using Google maps on an iphone, inside an UlitmateAddons case, for the majority of runs where you just want to get to and find somewhere, works really well and takes some beating.

I love the TomTom winding route option. It may well be that the Garmin has the equivalent.
It is great for unplanned "I'm here, I'd like to go there, plan me a really twisty turny route" and the last 10 or so I've done have led to some amazing rides that I've really enjoyed using roads if never have found otherwise.

I have a phone that I cant get a decent waterproof mounting option for, and have had my previous phone overheat and shut off at a critical point on a journey through France, so am reluctant to use my phone as a primary navigation tool again in the bike.

If you haven't tried these, then worth ago. https://ultimateaddons.com/ Worked for me. Until you change your bloody phone that is! I have a little used one designed for an iphone 6S kicking around if anyone wants it for a knock down price.

Well I wasn't going to use the phone but the ultimate add ons looks good so I'm going to give it a go.

Back
Top Bottom