Aprillia RS 250's . . .Any experts on here at all ??

I’ve had a few, I sold my last one last year.

There is a subsection of the RGV250 forum for the RS250 (same engine), lots of knowledge on there.

http://www.rgv250.co.uk/forums/

Thanks for that. Heres a post ive put on another forum for a bit of advice really . .
"A close friend of mine died at xmas time, and his wife has asked me to sell his bikes. They have all gone apart from one, an RS 250. I am so tempted to have it myself but just too busy at present. I guess at the moment, im on here asking for advice on an asking price really. The info I have about the bike is sketchy but heres what i do have. It seems like its an import and is a mark one(!), and born in 1995 but registered here in 2000. It has only got half a log book (for some reason) but I will be applying for another in the next week. (My pal was slack with paperwork) The bike hasnt got a battery but it spins over easy enough if I tickle the kickstarter. It looks like it last ran in 2011 (from the tax disc). Its also a Biaggi rep/Chesterfield. It looks like is has 18k Kilometres on it

His wife seems to simply want it out of the way, although im trying to persuade her (Well, me) to put a new battery on it. If it wont start then any new owner has a new battery. If it does start, then I guess that bumps the potential price up somewhat.

Anyone any advice/opinions on price at all please ?? "

Attachments

• IMG_3959.JPG
    IMG_3959.JPG
    182.5 KB · Views: 279
  • IMG_3960.JPG
    IMG_3960.JPG
    136.7 KB · Views: 268
  • IMG_3964.JPG
    IMG_3964.JPG
    151 KB · Views: 267
Looking on the bay its anywhere from £3k to £9k

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_..._TitleDesc=0&_osacat=422&_odkw=aprilia+rs+125

I would have thought as is £3.5 to £4.5k. If you get it running MOT etc then 5 plus. An old highly strung stroker like this is highly likely to grenade its internals at the drop of a hat. If it runs and doesnt produce lots of white smoke , then that implies the crank seals are OK. Keep an eye on the gearbox oil.

New. battery will be under £20 so thats a no brainier

Glwts

Steve

Awesome, thanks folks. As above, I am SSSOOOOO tempted myself

Absolutely awesome bikes, had a Chesterfield Biaggi rep just like that from new but with yellow piping instead of green. Very fast, sublime handling, but a bit fragile. Fork seals on mine popped for a pasttime. Prices vary wildly as has been posted, but with that mileage and lack of documented work on the engine (and forks!), I would guess you're looking at the lower end of the bracket, and I don't mean any disrespect by that.

In my mind I'd still have one - or an RGV - but I'm definately too old and unfit for one now :( Good luck with selling it or taking it on yourself.

On close inspection, that's not in the greatest of condition, with quite a few rusty bolts and a bit of resto work required, have a go yourself, or offer it on here, I've got one, but not even ridden it so far.

Is that the one with the plastic tank? Have to be careful with modern fuel as the tank can swell and fun on the steering stem making handling "interesting"

For its age whether it starts and runs ok it will still need a full engine strip to check it’s not going to explode the first time you give it some beans.

Keep your comments coming guys

All appreciated

I wouldn’t say I’m an expert but there’s one in the PlayStation colours sat in our garage at home.

The tank won’t deform with modern fuels but if it hasn’t run for a long time you might find problems with crankcase seals. Not a difficult task to change them but if you don’t really like using spanners and don’t understand 2 strokes step away.

I wouldn’t say I’m an expert but there’s one in the PlayStation colours sat in our garage at home.

The tank won’t deform with modern fuels but if it hasn’t run for a long time you might find problems with crankcase seals. Not a difficult task to change them but if you don’t really like using spanners and don’t understand 2 strokes step away.

What do you mean by modern fuels?

What do you mean by modern fuels?

Modern petrol ( as compared to when the bike was new) contain between 5-10% Ethanol . The pumps are labelled E5 or E10. The ethanol can attack plastic , furthermore it combines with water to corrode the fine parts inside the carbs if left in for a long time.

Modern petrol ( as compared to when the bike was new) contain between 5-10% Ethanol . The pumps are labelled E5 or E10. The ethanol can attack plastic , furthermore it combines with water to corrode the fine parts inside the carbs if left in for a long time.

AndyB 11 said it won't get attacked by modern fuels!

AndyB 11 said it won't get attacked by modern fuels!

My wife’s one hasn’t suffered any adverse effects from having the type of fuel on offer now bunged in the tank. The ethanol seems to be selective regarding the fuel tanks it fucks up because some have been reported to swell to a point where if removed and left full they don’t fit when you try to replace it on the bike.

As for the carbs, I know all too well that if you don’t drain them when the bike isn’t going to run for a while you’re asking for trouble.

I’m getting to the bike again tomorrow. Anyone want any more pis at all ??

Go for it. You’re the only one who knows if you’ve got the patience to iron out any problems but if you do they’re great fun to ride.

Back
Top Bottom