System 7 Helmet & BMW V3 Comms Problems

K9Morris

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just bought 2 x System 7 helmets and BMW V3 comms systems. Music playback on both helmets is fine. Using the intercom is awful. When riding with both flips down and checking the mikes are in the right position I get a lot of crackling, hissing and intermittent electronic noise. It's not wind noise, I can differentiate between that. It is an intermittent problem, seems to get worse the faster we go (definitely not wind noise) and it only happens in my speakers and not the Mrs. We also keep getting the message 'devices connected' although the helmets retain their connection (possibly the connection to our phones). We've also both experienced an electronic high pitched screech in the speakers when we pass some vehicles-as if they are transmitting some kind of active signal. Has anyone else experienced anything like this? We've un-paired, re-paired, turned off bluetooth on the phones but no improvement. My helmet tells me my battery is at 80% after about 10 mins riding whilst the Mrs doesn't get that message for about 90 mins or so. We went from Nolan helmets and comms system to BMW and so far I'm mega disappointed with BMW, the Nolans were so much better. And apparently BMW don't provide a software update option for a Mac either! Any sensible advice would be appreciated before we try and get the dealer to look into it.

I'd take it back to the dealer, sounds like you have a duff unit.

I only use it for the phone but it is better than most car hands free kits, callers are shocked to find Im even riding.

Battery life is very good.

Update to the OP, I took both helmets back to the dealer today and explained the problems I was having. They scoured their BMW site for recommendations and updates from BMW and apparently there have been a number of similar issues with other customers and BMW brought out a software update in April 2020 which they claimed would sort the issue. Duly had the helmets updated, went out for a ride and it was like chalk and cheese. No interference, no hissing, nothing. All fixed:okay:beerjug::)

Update to the OP, I took both helmets back to the dealer today and explained the problems I was having. They scoured their BMW site for recommendations and updates from BMW and apparently there have been a number of similar issues with other customers and BMW brought out a software update in April 2020 which they claimed would sort the issue. Duly had the helmets updated, went out for a ride and it was like chalk and cheese. No interference, no hissing, nothing. All fixed:okay:beerjug::)

Presumably that issue was a new one for Reiten Motorrad?

Are you happy with the way they looked after you?

Final update. Unfortunately I was premature with the software update fixing the problem. Speaker noise remained intermittent and over the space of two months Cannons tried various 'fixes'. These included: software update for both helmets; mike replaced on the Mrs helmet; circuit board replaced on my helmet; battery pack changed on my helmet; speakers and mike replaced on my helmet-still not fixed the issues which are still noise in the speakers, not charging fully and repeated 'devices connected' messages. Mrs helmet then refused to charge fully and she started getting loads of 'devices connected' messages. Then the led lights on mine stopped working. Are we just unlucky? Anyway, got fed up with this and asked for a refund which BMW/Cannons have agreed to so now looking for new helmets and comms systems. Looking at Schuberth C4 Pro Carbon with Sena SR1 advanced. Anyone tried this set up?

Hi there,

I bought my GSA1200 in August 2017. I bought a System 7 Helmet and the Garmin V1 - all new and paired to whatever the latest iPhone was at the time (10?) - All software with the latest updates. I think to date I have had the cradle on the nav changed X 1 - The nav V1 unit changed 5 times, the system 7 comms changed X 2 completely and a few weeks ago partially ie. new pcb and speakers. I work in the IT Industry and have never seen anything like this. If we sold this level of quality out to our market we’d be out of business. Great support from the dealer but even they are getting frustrated and my belief in BMW quality has hit an all time low. I’ve owned many BMW cars and been impressed with the quality. I just don’t get it; how can they honestly put such crap on the market and allow such a great reputation to go down the pan? Sat nav still plays up on occasion and bombs out, battery sometimes goes to 80% after 10 mins and another time after about an hour or so, music has a mind of its own, volume of speakers doesn’t work at motorway speeds, snap, crackle pop all the time. And this is their flagship system... Next time TomTom 550 Schuberth helmet and Sena comms!

I have the System 7, it’s not actually connected to the bike, just my Nav Vi and iPhone X, it’s by far the best comms I have had. But I only use it for phone calls and Sat Nav, I have listened to music but rarely.

It charges quickly and lasts, it’s clarion clear with most people not knowing I’m on a bike. I have not updated its software, Bahnstormer Alton set it up and so far it’s been faultless.

If I’d gone through what you have, I too would have given up with it.

The choice of comms equipment seems to divide mainly into Sena or Cardo. My riding pals and I have used Sena for many years with great success so I'd happily recommend that brand. However I've also used the inexpensive 'Chinese' bluetooth kit and it too works well (with fewer fancy features perhaps but it simple comms is all you need it could save you hundreds)

So it seems I'm not alone after all. We got the refund from BMW and bought the C4Pro Carbon helmets with the Sena SC1 comms. Shell size of helmets is quite a bit smaller than the BMW and an equally, if not better fit. Overall the comms is very good, especially with the handlebar remote control which, in my opinion is well worth the money, it makes all aspects of controlling the comms etc extremely easy-and safer. However, there are still issues with this comms system. We've tried everything to get the fm radio working but all we get is hissing and interference-as if there's no antennae. In multi-tasking mode-where you can have music playing in the background whilst in intercom mode-music plays fine but intercom is very broken up and difficult to understand so we don't bother now. Overall tho it is a better set up than the BMW, no charging issues, devices stay connected, volume level is excellent. The app you can download is very easy to use and useful for tweaking the settings. You just have to keep an eye out for software updates, as we've had two of those already. I'm also starting to wonder if any or all of the interference issues on both sets of helmets is due to them being Carbon? Schuberth says Carbon helmets have a reduced range-down from about 1km to 350m I think, so is it affecting the whole connection/signal????

Final update. Unfortunately I was premature with the software update fixing the problem. Speaker noise remained intermittent and over the space of two months Cannons tried various 'fixes'. These included: software update for both helmets; mike replaced on the Mrs helmet; circuit board replaced on my helmet; battery pack changed on my helmet; speakers and mike replaced on my helmet-still not fixed the issues which are still noise in the speakers, not charging fully and repeated 'devices connected' messages. Mrs helmet then refused to charge fully and she started getting loads of 'devices connected' messages. Then the led lights on mine stopped working. Are we just unlucky? Anyway, got fed up with this and asked for a refund which BMW/Cannons have agreed to so now looking for new helmets and comms systems. Looking at Schuberth C4 Pro Carbon with Sena SR1 advanced. Anyone tried this set up?

Got the Schuberth c4 carbon with coms for me and Mrs, had it 8 months, can't fault it. There is the new C5 out worth a look.

Got the Schuberth c4 carbon with coms for me and Mrs, had it 8 months, can't fault it. There is the new C5 out worth a look

Back
Top Bottom