Basecamp not routing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had the same on basecamp before..

I think it was one of the layers either turned on or not turned on

I had the same thing happen yesterday and today. Went to reroute an existing route and lo and behold, straight lines.

Same thing when I tried to convert a track to a route.

Status in MapManager clearly shows as unlocked.

After switching maps a couple of times then going back to the new map, it seems to work OK. For now.....

I'm having the same issues as Becksy :mad:

Recently I created some routes & transferred them to the Nav5. Rode them last weekend & all worked perfectly

In the interim I updated the device, prompted by a message on Garmin Express & then installed that map on the Mac Book. All went swimmingly & I was happy out

I then created some new routes for this weekend, transferred them to the Nav5 & imported them. When I opened them they looked like they were done on the basemap - all straight lines & all running, roughly, along main roads
Map Manager shows 'CN NTU 2021_10' as being installed & unlocked. The Nav5 only has the various versions (north, south, etc) of 'CN NTU 2021_10' & 'Europe DEM' installed

Now, unlike Becksy, I can't revert to an earlier map cos I deleted the old ones to free up some space on the Mac Book :anger

I've uninstalled BC & reinstalled an earlier (Feb '20) version but still only have 2021_10
I've switched between the installed maps & basemap
I've closed BC several times
And it's still the same....
And Garmin site being down is not helping my mental state :comfort

All help gratefully received but please keep it simple, I'm not known for my computer skills....

Jockser,
in Basecamp check your installed maps info to make sure your map is unlocked. If it isn’t the repeat the download and install BUT before you do that, check that you have the latest version of Garmin Express installed. It’s always a good idea to check this when there is a map update available.

Garmin Connect still down, massive outage, hacked by Ransomware. Check press for details!!

Jockser,
in Basecamp check your installed maps info to make sure your map is unlocked. If it isn’t the repeat the download and install BUT before you do that, check that you have the latest version of Garmin Express installed. It’s always a good idea to check this when there is a map update available.

Thanks Shakey. it definitely shows as unlocked. Unfortunately I can't retry anything until Garmin site comes back online
Tomorrow could be interesting, trying to read a paper GPS in the rain...

Gonna leave it until next week now, think it’s going to take them several more days by all accounts to sort this mess out. I use Garmin Connect too for cycling, running etc. That’s not working either.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So this morning I connected the Nav5 to the MacBook again & this time it connected to Garmin. No updates available which is fair enough as I only updated it last week

So I reinstalled the 2021 map to the unit & after nearly 30 minutes it told me it was finished. No faults / errors. So far so good..

Then I asked it, again, to install the same map to the MacBook & it came up with the red bar & text along the lines of "you wish" (actually "we can't contact our servers"). Tried it several times with the same result so for want of something better to do I sent a route to it, shut down BC, 'removed' the Nav5 & the SD card from Finder & unplugged the unit. I then turned it on, got the "want to import routes ?" so I did but once that was done I ended up with the same cr@p again

Plugged the unit back in, opened BC & lordy-be I got a "software update available" notification. It took less than a minute to do & then I was suddenly able to load the unit maps to the MacBook.
And finally able to load routes that you could actually follow :bounce1:bounce1

Tried again, got an "error installing the update" message.

I got the same trying to re-install the map to my Mac. I had previously re-installed the latest map to the Garmin XT with no issue.

The XT seems to route just fine, Basecamp seems to route just fine with routes I had previously created, or with new routes that I create in it.

However - if I try and import a .gpx file from elsewhere, it just gives the straight line routing - or crashes if there are a lot of waypoints....

Piece of shit software.

Unplug the nav, 'force quit' BC & Express & try it again.
It will work, unfortunately perseverance is required with all things Garmin...

I got the same trying to re-install the map to my Mac. I had previously re-installed the latest map to the Garmin XT with no issue.

The XT seems to route just fine, Basecamp seems to route just fine with routes I had previously created, or with new routes that I create in it.

However - if I try and import a .gpx file from elsewhere, it just gives the straight line routing - or crashes if there are a lot of waypoints....

Piece of shit software.

By ‘from elsewhere’ I assume you mean third party routes?

Several times BaseCamp on a Mac will display third party gpx routes (created in God only knows what software) as straight lines, as BaseCamp defaults to its ‘Direct’ routing mode.

I sometimes see this when I import gpx files from German magazines. Sometimes it produces straight lines (direct routing) but the same gpx download will display properly in something like Pocket Earth or MapsMe, even on a iPhone. They then snap into place in BaseCamp, if I change the mode from ‘Direct’ to ‘Motorcycle’ or ‘Car’. Importing gpx routes as tracks (if there is that option) is generally safer.

Still the same old crappy error. Have reinstalled Basecamp as well. What a pile of shite.

A .GPX file is just a list of coordinates. When Basecamp fits a route to a road it adds shed loads of shaping points to make it fit the map. It’s possible that the app your imported file came from doesn’t do this and exports the key points on the route. Like any other software, crap in = crap out. I’m just pointing out that it’s a possibility.

Why not export a basecamp route to the other app and see what happens......

Shakey is spot on.

Tell you what. Put the gpx file onto something like DropBox or some other free file sharing site and let us have a look at it for you.

I deleted the maps that were causing the problem that the post was originally about, with the intention to reinstall them to see if that solves the problem, but cannot reinstall them. Basecamp is working with the old maps as it should, just cannot install the latest maps now, so cannot even test to see if the problem I had in the first place is still occurring. (Note, I have reinstalled Basecamp and Express). I don't think it is anything to do with the GPX file and I am only dealing with routes that I created in Basecamp in the first place.

By ‘from elsewhere’ I assume you mean third party routes?

Several times BaseCamp on a Mac will display third party gpx routes (created in God only knows what software) as straight lines, as BaseCamp defaults to its ‘Direct’ routing mode.

I sometimes see this when I import gpx files from German magazines. Sometimes it produces straight lines (direct routing) but the same gpx download will display properly in something like Pocket Earth or MapsMe, even on a iPhone. They then snap into place in BaseCamp, if I change the mode from ‘Direct’ to ‘Motorcycle’ or ‘Car’. Importing gpx routes as tracks (if there is that option) is generally safer.

Yes indeed - routes from friends for example. In particular, a 120 mile route in France that I will be doing this coming Saturday, with around 90 waypoints. If I import directly into BaseCamp, it completely mangles it. No matter which map I have selected, or whether I select "Motorcycling" or "Driving" in Preferences.

The same thing happened when I imported it as a track and then tried to create a route from the track.

Anyway.....I kind of fixed it by simply importing the .gpx file into MyRouteApp - which worked fine and routed it perfectly. Then I sent it to the Zumo XT via Garmin Drive and it routed just fine on that.

Funnily enough though, if I then email the route to myself from MyRouteApp and then import it into BaseCamp, it routes just fine as well.

I am starting to prefer MyRouteApp though. I bought the Gold subscription and its pretty cool. Multiple maps to choose from, global coverage, it's available on all my devices - laptop, iPad, phone and best of all it can actually send routes wirelessly to the Zumo - which stupid BaseCamp can't manage for some unknown reason. And the search function is much better too.

I deleted the maps that were causing the problem that the post was originally about, with the intention to reinstall them to see if that solves the problem, but cannot reinstall them. Basecamp is working with the old maps as it should, just cannot install the latest maps now, so cannot even test to see if the problem I had in the first place is still occurring. (Note, I have reinstalled Basecamp and Express). I don't think it is anything to do with the GPX file and I am only dealing with routes that I created in Basecamp in the first place.

Try opening the gpx file in something like notepad. It’s really only text. You could maybe check how much content it has compared to one of your own.

I confess I’ve had this happen to me in the past when sharing a route by bluetooth and if I recall correctly, we fixed it by changing the other gps mode to driving and recalculating before changing back to bike. To be honest, if you are following a route built in basecamp rather than letting the Nav do it's thing, the vehicle of choice is not relevant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom