Andermatt camping in September

keshxpress

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Could somebody give me an idea of what overnight temperatures to expect in early September, camping in Andermatt. I suspect my sleeping bag, Berghaus Elevation 200, might not be up to the job as it’s limit is 3 degrees and an extreme of -11. Would I be able to improve on these figures sufficiently using either a bag liner, or a bag cover(exterior liner thingy). Thanks in advance.

where in andermatt are you camping? Base level, mountain slope or on the peak? Are you in a tent? If at base level, its unlikely to reach -11 . that would be skiing season...you'll be fine

We were in Andermatt in early September last year, it was lovely though a clear night was chilly the next morning when we left.....the pictures below are from the day after we left the area, not taken by me but were posted on an FB page that next day....a bullet we dodged.

9532bfda65c93bdecb1061483291ccb4.jpg

562777d09ecc4be7ba5e532a62f671fb.jpg

In answer to your question, no would be my opinion.

For the record, the year prior to that we came though a few passes in Switzerland in early August and was 3 degrees though I've also been in Andermatt in 38 degree heat but not in September.

The difficulty with this is the many variables. As mentioned, camp site, tent design, what thermal mat etc. Sleeping bag ratings are like curry ratings, one man's mild is another man's fire-in-the-hole! Sleeping bags also deteriorate over time, depending how they're stored or how many times they're washed etc.

You can improve the warmth - you can use a bivvy bag inside your tent for instance. Thermals help, not forgetting a hat. You can fill a water bottle with hot water and stick that down by your feet. Try to avoid anything heavy over your sleeping bag though, putting your heavy bike jacket over just compresses the insulation and makes things worse. What does the almighty Google say about temperature ranges for when you're going?

Try accuweather.com for historical averages, but remember you can, and might, get any weather any month of the year in the Alps.

Thanks for your replies. I had not realised there were various camping areas, as when I googled Andermatt Camping, the only hit I got was Gotthard Camping. The tent I use is a Khyam Nimbus and the mat an Outwell Dreamcatcher 7cms airmat. I had planned to make this trip in July, before the pandemic changed all that.
The plan was to camp a few days at Andermatt in order to tick some local passes off my bucket list, before carrying on down to the Rimini area, mainly to visit the Marco Simoncelli memorial/museum. Then head home via the Stelvio and revisit Grossglockner.
I found the average September temps for the first fifteen days of the month to be 53/37F high/low. However, after seeing the pics of snow, although this may have been an abnormal occurrence, I’ll have to have a rethink. Being in my 70’s and usually Billy no mates, the possibility of being caught in snow might be biting off more than I can chew. I’ll certainly get down to Italy providing the Covid situation doesn’t worsen, but it might be better to consider Andermatt for next July.
On the subject of bag liners versus over bag covers, which type would offer the greater increase in low temp comfort, and which manufacturer would be favoured. Thanks again for all your suggestions and comments.

I’d go for merino wool long johns and long sleeved top in preference to any sleeping bag liner.

Not camping, but I stayed for a couple of nights in Andermatt a few years ago. We rode over Susten and Nufenen passes in summer kit, sweating like pigs, and stopping to cool down at the top where it was onlly absolutel bloody boiling.

The day we left to ride home, I didn't stop shivering all day and the only sweat was a result of the hailstones on the road! Almost unbelievable difference in weather within the space of 12 hours. Mountains, huh?

Thanks for your replies. I had not realised there were various camping areas, as when I googled Andermatt Camping, the only hit I got was Gotthard Camping. The tent I use is a Khyam Nimbus and the mat an Outwell Dreamcatcher 7cms airmat. I had planned to make this trip in July, before the pandemic changed all that.
The plan was to camp a few days at Andermatt in order to tick some local passes off my bucket list, before carrying on down to the Rimini area, mainly to visit the Marco Simoncelli memorial/museum. Then head home via the Stelvio and revisit Grossglockner.
I found the average September temps for the first fifteen days of the month to be 53/37F high/low. However, after seeing the pics of snow, although this may have been an abnormal occurrence, I’ll have to have a rethink. Being in my 70’s and usually Billy no mates, the possibility of being caught in snow might be biting off more than I can chew. I’ll certainly get down to Italy providing the Covid situation doesn’t worsen, but it might be better to consider Andermatt for next July.
On the subject of bag liners versus over bag covers, which type would offer the greater increase in low temp comfort, and which manufacturer would be favoured. Thanks again for all your suggestions and comments.

ok, the camp site is fairly well sheltered and compact (they pack them in), albeit at the base of the valley. You being on a 7cm airbed will insulate you well enough. If it really gets bad, they have an undercover bar area outside where you could shelter. I doubt you will get too cold and it wouldn't put me off after hearing what kit you have. Riding out etc might be a different thing but then again, that country is so organised, they have cleared the snow before you woke up. As for cold at night, I'd say you're okay

Back
Top Bottom