Helmet microphone for GoPro

Tricuspid

Reaction score
Trying to get my GoPro set up for my imminent Wester Isles trip, but I'm having a nightmare with the sound. I've got a GoPro 8 with the audio adaptor, connected to a cavalier mic to record my thoughts (assuming I have any worth recording!). I've tried several mics and settings, the audio seems fine when I test it but once moving everything becomes distorted, like the gain is too high, but I can't see how to do anything about it. Not sure if the mics (bog standard Amazon type) aren't up to the job, or if I'm doing something wrong. Any suggestions appreciated!

Trying to get my GoPro set up for my imminent Wester Isles trip, but I'm having a nightmare with the sound. I've got a GoPro 8 with the audio adaptor, connected to a cavalier mic to record my thoughts (assuming I have any worth recording!). I've tried several mics and settings, the audio seems fine when I test it but once moving everything becomes distorted, like the gain is too high, but I can't see how to do anything about it. Not sure if the mics (bog standard Amazon type) aren't up to the job, or if I'm doing something wrong. Any suggestions appreciated!

Check out Rode Go Wireless and Rode Mics. You should find a few reviews on You Tube.

What mic setting are you using, had the same issue for months. Turns out one of the mic settings adds an extra 20 db and makes it sound all distorted. Slightest bit of wind gives it a terrible sound

use a roland R09 with a clip mic, of patch into the aux out of the coms into the R09 (or generic stand alone)

I actually have the same as it you boots hero 8 + media mod...

Microphone setup/placement is key, at minimum you want a foam shield on the microphone, dead cat if that’s not enough, and gain settings set to zero...

As people have said above, a deadcat is a must, and try different places around the helmet.

I have the go pro hero 9 black.
Although Go-pros are probably the best all round cameras, they still have major issues that i really cant believe they haven't addressed already.

For a start a 3.5mm jack or UBS mic port on the side should be standard.... not having to buy extra mods!
No matter what mod you buy, there still isnt a way to record on an external mic and stay waterproof.
So riding in England with our typical weather is a GoPro killer!

Back
Top Bottom