NC500 concerns.

Any updates? Bryony has closed the campsite but the old croft is still available for rent, with the required empty time between guests. They are selective over who they let take it though, with those who shouldn't be travelling, on account of their geographical location, being dissuaded. Apparently other cottage lettings are not being so careful.

My sister (Skye campsite - 'The campsite beside the sea', Camus Mor) has seen on a website somewhere that since Brexit and the clampdown on overnight parking, with the signs going up and fines to be issued the Germans are not coming across. They don't feel welcome anymore. They weren't welcome with their pikey activities and non-spending attitude anyway! She has decided they are not accepting any 'big' campervans from now on, ones the size of Mickey's are OK, but these coaches with beds and 6 berth jobbies can go elsewhere. She is going to continue to limit the number of tents per night too - they have about 2 acres of campsite, but they want the people that come to enjoy space around their tent, peace and tranquility, not be packed in to make as much money as possible. It is the family croft but they don't keep cattle or sheep now. Ian doesn't fish either, he was refused a licence because his boat was too small. A 16ft open clinker dinghy that he ran half a dozen strings of pots from.... the family had fished the bay for 5 generations perfectly sustainably. Without the licence they couldn't sell to the lorry. Instead, a big boat came in and set 1000 creels and wiped the bay out in a season. Such is progress. He has retired from all that now and does odd jobs around the township, gaelic translations for the radio, TV and paper and writes plays and stuff.

If you are interested, I don't know how to do the map pin thing and add here. * They are at the horseshoe shaped bay north of Uig at Bornaskitaig. Heading north from Uig, about 5 miles from the grass triangle where you go off for the Quairang (keep left), past Kilmuir and Linicro, turn left at the cattle fank on the main road, go past the ruined kirk, straight over the crossroads and keep going. It is the road that leads to the bay as a dead end. They are at the bottom. Telephone to book: 01470 552312 Bryony and Ian Macdonald.

* BUT - I can do this. :D
https://www.google.com/maps/place/C...feecc0bcb192191!8m2!3d57.6502704!4d-6.4039598

The issue with the NC500/Skye and campers from my understanding is NOT those who visit campsites, it's those who don't. Those who block roads by where they park up for the night, those who have no toilet facilities and choose to piss and shit all over the countryside.

The issue with the NC500/Skye and campers from my understanding is NOT those who visit campsites, it's those who don't. Those who block roads by where they park up for the night, those who have no toilet facilities and choose to piss and shit all over the countryside.

Don't forget all those hired motorhomes with clueless drivers.

Absolutely agree with both points :thumb

:beerjug:

Scotland in general is much more van friendly than anywhere else in the UK, after last years issues a lot of communities have set up more Aire style stopover areas, especially on some of the Ilsands that got a bit overwhelmed last year, but with Spain and Greece talking about COVID passports maybe if the Costas & Corfu are open it will stop a lot of the let’s hire a van lot.

Al.

I don’t always visit campsites when I’m up there. I never get in anyone’s way either. There are sensible motorhome users around. I think the problem last year was all the knobheads that normally go to Ibeefa ( said with an Essex twang ) hiring vans and having absolutely no respect for the beautiful country they were in.
They have probably fucked things up for the sensible ones with the locals and councils up there too. We all get tarred with the same brush unfortunately.

Long, long months ahead for the locals and the land up there this year.

I'm heading up late May for 3 or 4 nights so will likely see much of what's going on.

We'll be taking our motorhome up to Oban, Mull, Barra and Oonyackistan again in June but it will be campsites every night. It would be nice to spend a few tourist groats in local pubs and restaurants, but we'll see how the land lies when we are there.

Greg, because of the issues last year the Highland council has invested a lot of money to improve facilities for visitors to Scotland including motorhomers, the forestry commission has extended its stay in the forest initiative, many new community Aire type stopovers have been established, especially on the road to the isles so campsites do not have to be the only choice for visitors, I have bought a second cassette for the toilet to ease waste issues and intend to spend my holiday pocket money in Scotland this year instead of the county where I live because of the positive attitude to van visitors shown by Scotland.

Al.

We also have a second cassette after we spent a few nights off grid last August (in some stunning locations!) and discovered the limits of a single cassette!

Mull positively discourages wild camping and we particularly wanted to spend a few nights at the spectacular Borve campsite on Barra. It's almost chance that we are 100% on campsites this year. But we also thought that Scotland might be quite busy this season.

My 2020 hired motorhome is re-scheduled to this July.

Where do I buy a sticker that says - “I live here and I’m not Clueless”? :)

And all my 6 sites are booked.

And I’m staying well away from that fuckin’ N C 500 nonsense.

Skye has also clamped down on wild camping and campsite prices have increased quite a bit, we will probably wait until September before heading north.

Al.

Having watched Top Gear on Sunday, I do wonder whether off road driving will be the next thing to blight Scotland....i.e bell ends in their soft roaders taking the left turn off a road onto a dirt track onto the moors (with no right of access but not caring)

Most paths will have gates on them. When I was up in October I did a fair bit off road on the tenere but there is no way I'd ever consider taking a car on them.

I shall be heading up again this year but not until it’s legal to do so. And not until late September early October anyway. Campsites and CL’s as much as possible. I’m hoping there aren’t restrictions on the jetty road in northeast Skye because of the clowns up there last year ruining it for the careful, caring ones amongst us. I will have two toilet cassettes too.

Back
Top Bottom