NC500 concerns.

I couldn't conceive of dumping my litter for someone else to pick up. I just wasn't brung up that way!

I'm put in mind of the situation in Holland where in the past, people let their dogs shit all over the place because they paid a specific local tax to have someone come round and clear it up. Eventually the tax and the service were both dropped but that didn't stop the people letting their dogs foul everywhere.
I wonder if in the countries that the visitors come from, a similar situation exists re litter? I only have to look at the Maccy D shite dumped on local roads to know that the situation is not all to do with foreign visitors but even so...........

I travel frequently to Scotland in my CamperVan. I always use recognised sites, will eat a meal out locally probably once a day, and buy locally :thumb

Unless stopping at the Bridge of Cally :D

:beerjug:

You are a good man Micky ( met you at Dent a few years back :beerjug:) But I can guarantee you there will be a rake of camper vans parked outside either Tesco Inshes or Lidl on Telford road, mostly after 10am when booze is available. Stacked to the top with probably more food than they need. A little bit annoying, but there we go.

I'm in the fortunate position that I have the means to travel an awful lot but I like to think I take my responsibilities seriously so will buy and eat in local independents, never supermarkets or chain pubs/restaurants. If camping /vaning then to me it's all about drawing little attention to myself and leaving no trace.........

But, even given all the above, I'll be up on the west coast and some of the islands at the end of September in a rented T5. Half of me can't wait, it's such a beautiful part of the world, part of me though is genuinely apprehensive as I'm fully aware that I will be part of the 'problem'.......

What to do on a planet with too many people and too many people that have the means to travel?

Andres

It's the same in every tourist destination. I can look out of my widow now and see a dozen campervans in the car park, where they will remain all day drinking the coffee and eating the food they bought with them. The rubbish will be piled next to the overflowing bins where the seagulls will feast. Most will have spent no money locally. Organised litter picks have restarted since lockdown finished. Cigarette butts are everywhere along with discarded fast food wrappers and empty lucozade bottles. Other drinks are available, but lucozade sport bottles have 3 types of plastic, making recycling very difficult.

It's the price we pay for living somewhere so lovely that people want to see it.

:hideAs a campervan owner I am used to seeing the criticism written about van owners and I am sorry to say a small minority (as usual) spoil it for the majority, I would never leave rubbish or human waste anywhere, I have just paid extra to have a grey waste tank fitted to my new van rather than dump it on the ground but when councils close/remove facilities what do they expect, and I’m sure it’s not just van owners that are shitting al fresco. It’s no excuse but European visitors probably expect the same facilities(aires, raztplazt etc) that are all over the continent for vans and struggle over here as there are none available and camper vans are generally made unwelcome and tarred with the same brush as “travellers”. It is the same here in Exmouth as it is one of the few places down here you can park on the seafront, this year the council has converted part of two car parks for van overnight stops but has not provided facilities for waste/refill etc, so they are not fully utilised.
As has already been mentioned if you actively promote an area and then moan about people coming to visit that area just seems a bit hypocritical, the same seems to be happening on Mull as well.
We are heading up to Scotland in 3 weeks so will no doubt be part of the problem somewhere I’m sure.

Al.

As has already been mentioned if you actively promote an area and then moan about people coming to visit that area just seems a bit hypocritical, the same seems to be happening on Mull as well.

No, I think you've missed the point, it's the lack of infrastructure that is causing the main issues. Lack of investment, closing down of facilities, roads not being suitable for the size of some vans, public toilets not being open, campsites still being closed, and visitors (a small minority) leaving , quite literally, all they're shit.

The thing is that, despite devolution, we're still a highly centralised nation (or nations, across the UK). Local authorities should have powers to deal with this kind of stuff without needing acts of parliament etc.

Well if you could gently persuade your party to support a certain vote.....:augie you also might find you'll probably get a considerable vote increase for your party next time their were elections.....oh wait, isn't there one coming next year ;)

If you can cart the stuff there, you can sodding well dispose of it properly.

We have some lovely travellers set up camp on the links, last time it cost the council, (or us) £18K to clean up after them.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

I'm in the fortunate position that I have the means to travel an awful lot but I like to think I take my responsibilities seriously so will buy and eat in local independents, never supermarkets or chain pubs/restaurants. If camping /vaning then to me it's all about drawing little attention to myself and leaving no trace.........

But, even given all the above, I'll be up on the west coast and some of the islands at the end of September in a rented T5. Half of me can't wait, it's such a beautiful part of the world, part of me though is genuinely apprehensive as I'm fully aware that I will be part of the 'problem'.......

What to do on a planet with too many people and too many people that have the means to travel?

Andres

Just stick an " I am a Local " sticker on the side of your van , works for me :D:D
Seriously, I wouldn't be concerned. The main issues are posse of vans, 4 or 5 together, not maintaining social distancing etc. If you keep yourself to yourself , you will be fine.
You will find that folk on the west coast are naturally inquisitive anyway, and the covid issue will accelerate this.

Well if you could gently persuade your party to support a certain vote.....:augie you also might find you'll probably get a considerable vote increase for your party next time their were elections.....oh wait, isn't there one coming next year ;)

Just got the em asking me to volunteer for canvassing duties! :D The SP has been a qualified success but it's screwed up a lot also and I can't see independence improving that. (Puhhhlease, let's not have a debate about independence!) But the point I'm making is that devolving power to local authorities would be far more radical and more effective. If you give politicians power in ANY context, their instinct is to hang on to it! The answer is to devolve as much power as possible to the "lowest" practicable level across the UK.

I reckon that one of the reasons for the Covid feck up is the unwillingness of the UK government apparat to hand over decisions to local public health organisations and their preference for handing cash over to national and multi national companies to run call centres for them. They feel they can control and be accountable for the latter but not the former.

Highland Council is the apt decision maker for planning decisions re the NC500 but try telling MSPs and the SG that!

Just stick an " I am a Local " sticker on the side of your van , works for me :D:D
Seriously, I wouldn't be concerned. The main issues are posse of vans, 4 or 5 together, not maintaining social distancing etc. If you keep yourself to yourself , you will be fine.
You will find that folk on the west coast are naturally inquisitive anyway, and the covid issue will accelerate this.
You omitted the stopping in the stupidest places to take a picture, parking in passing places and not letting faster vehicles, ie me, passed.

Wild camping has been stopped in Loch Lomond! When laws are abused, action will taken! The roads been there for years and years, absolutely crazy what they have done. Giving these fantastic roads a title was never going to bring happiness to everyone.

I think you started by saying the BnB you stayed at was complaining about the influx to the area, very strange business way of thinking, i owned a cafe in dundee for years i done everything to get the footfall high, so strange they dont want too many visiters, just enough to keep them ticking over :blast

But if it is facilities, Surely its up tae highland council to ensure tourists want to come to the north of Scotland in droves, lower rates making sure villages have shops filled with businesses to making sure the roads are capable of coping with the vehicles.

You omitted the stopping in the stupidest places to take a picture, parking in passing places and not letting faster vehicles, ie me, passed.

It's "past"! And I thought you were an educated man!

It was because it was a pish poor place, not my words, don't shoot the messenger.

Exchange street? not the greatest of streets for footfall, but i took a gamble, for me i wanted to the council to help to make sure all the shops were filled (like my point about the NC)

bottom line is you need to attract customers (NC 500 has kinda done that with naming it the NC 500)

Exchange street?

No your cafe, that was the word on the street, likely why it failed miserably not it's area as the Flame tree seems to be successful as I know someone who worked there.....anyway.

NC500, over crowding with bloody Englishers...where were we.

No your cafe, that was the word on the street, likely why it failed miserably not it's area as the Flame tree seems to be successful as I know someone who worked there.....anyway.

NC500, over crowding with bloody Englishers...where were we.

:pullface:ronno:boobies I sold it to the flame tree, it most certainly didn't fail miserably (unlike you're forum :green gri )

but my point here is the i really cant see business people in or around the NC route complaining about the increase in footfall........

Back
Top Bottom