NC500 concerns.

The Biggest problem at the present moment are the "NEW" influx of people. Those that usually holiday abroad, and as a result of what is going on have decided to visit/mess up their own country along with trying hobbies such as camping/campervanning but without the associated responsibility. The outfall of it is plastered all over various FB groups, in the news and some unfortunate folks shoes.

The ones I have encountered basically don't give a fuck about anyone around them, as long as them having a good time isn't being interfered with. Heaven help you should you disturb them.

Vehicles abandoned along the roadside at popular beaches/sites means emergency vehicles can't get through or residents out of their driveways.

Several local swimming spots can no longer be used because some idiots from the smoke thought it would be fun to smash bottles in, along with the rubbish left and wanton destruction where they have camped. It's this that is pissing off the locals.

We are used to the regular flow of tourists and how they interact with the environment and adapt accordingly. The average speed drops to below 40 and the accident rate climbs as folk discover the gearbox has more than 3 gears and there are things called bends which can be quite tight, folk suddenly forget how to use mirrors and become quite deaf when trying to negotiate single track roads as they opt for the blinkered vision approach.

I think you started by saying the BnB you stayed at was complaining about the influx to the area, very strange business way of thinking, i owned a cafe in dundee for years i done everything to get the footfall high, so strange they dont want too many visiters, just enough to keep them ticking over :blast

But if it is facilities, Surely its up tae highland council to ensure tourists want to come to the north of Scotland in droves, lower rates making sure villages have shops filled with businesses to making sure the roads are capable of coping with the vehicles.
To be fair, for a lot of business up north, it is cyclical and very weather dependent.

However, the majority of the campervanners don't spend much money locally (a general statement I know) yet cause much inconvenience and angst.

A more productive way would be getting Highlands council to put in decent stopping points, toilet blocks and parking at/near obvious scenic stopping points to reduce congestion and ease traffic disruption.

Next year will be more interesting, as none of us truly know the implications for Covid-19, how crash out brexit will effect foreign holidays, nor for those with underlying health conditions getting any travel insurance that isn't telephone numbers for costs, or so many exclusions it isn't worth the paper it's written on.

The opportunity is there (over winter), to upgrade and expand the local infrastructure, it is whether this will be grasped.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

:pullface:ronno:boobies I sold it to the flame tree, it most certainly didn't fail miserably (unlike you're forum :green gri )

but my point here is the i really cant see business people in or around the NC route complaining about the increase in footfall........

Oh I think we both know what was very successful and what fell on it's tits :D but as I said earlier, I never visited your cafe so I can't condemn something, I can only go on word of mouth (flea bitten shithole I think was the expression used :blast )

The opportunity is there (over winter), to upgrade and expand the local infrastructure, it is whether this will be grasped.

It won't be though, the Highland council are like every other council, nae money, they closed down public toilets a couple years back to save money much against a campaign from locals against that. The roads are in poor condition and haven't been replayed for decades yet they are now seeing a tenfold in traffic so only making things worse.

It won't be though, the Highland council are like every other council, nae money, they closed down public toilets a couple years back to save money much against a campaign from locals against that. The roads are in poor condition and haven't been replayed for decades yet they are now seeing a tenfold in traffic so only making things worse.
There's elections next may, not only for parliament but also the council's too.

Now is the time, to lean on local councillors, tell them either get this sorted, or we will find an independent local candidate who will represent us better than your doing.

It's called democracy or something.

There's elections next may, not only for parliament but also the council's too.

Now is the time, to lean on local councillors, tell them either get this sorted, or we will find an independent local candidate who will represent us better than your doing.

It's called democracy or something.

They've nae money, no so sure electing anyone will solve that issue.

I think most people who have lashed out huge sums of cash on a camper van/ motorhome are usually pretty responsible bearing in mind the probable demographic of them and that they have chosen this option and holiday type way before covid as opposed to a fortnight on the piss with Pukka Pies and John Smiths draught in `Benidorm or Salou or the posher chavs that all fuck off to the west Indies !

Problem I am seeing is that all the chavs that usually like their all inclusive have all rushed out and bought tents or caravans etc and are chocking up these green and pleasant lands and spoiling it for those who know what they are doing and act accordingly

I was in a queue for 20 minutes the other day just to get onto the CMHC website to try and book somewhere !

They've nae money, no so sure electing anyone will solve that issue.
There's always money there, it's just how it is appropriated.

If, they don't invest in infrastructure, which UKGOV says funding is available for, then the golden goose will have sodded off elsewhere.

How do you make it easier, for tourists to spend their money ? There's only so much tartan tat and shortbread people can buy into.

I think most people who have lashed out huge sums of cash on a camper van/ motorhome are usually pretty responsible bearing in mind the probable demographic of them and that they have chosen this option and holiday type way before covid as opposed to a fortnight on the piss with Pukka Pies and John Smiths draught in `Benidorm or Salou or the posher chavs that all fuck off to the west Indies !

Problem I am seeing is that all the chavs that usually like their all inclusive have all rushed out and bought tents or caravans etc and are chocking up these green and pleasant lands and spoiling it for those who know what they are doing and act accordingly

I was in a queue for 20 minutes the other day just to get onto the CMHC website to try and book somewhere !
Agreed, they're hiring things left/right/center don't have a bloody clue, and for the most part ignorant pricks.

Trying to get passed a motorhome, I was shouted at, they were on f*cking holiday so I could just bloody well wait.

Not on the NC500, but I was in Boat of Garten at the weekend. Apparently at Loch Morlich in the Cairngorms there were around 90 people 'wild' camping. With no toilets. That's a lot of logs.

Imagine the Blue bottle swarms; fighting with the midges; some of the disgusting fuckers have never heard of leave no trace. We are into Glastonbury type abuse now.

Agreed, they're hiring things left/right/center don't have a bloody clue, and for the most part ignorant pricks.

Trying to get passed a motorhome, I was shouted at, they were on f*cking holiday so I could just bloody well wait.

I think if some prick was shouting at me like that i would have one of his valve cores off and really given him something to whinge about.

Its only a new problem for that part of Scotland, its been an issue in the Lake district, and Cornwall for years

Its only a new problem for that part of Scotland, its been an issue in the Lake district, and Cornwall for years

People shitting by the side of the road and just leaving it there has been a problem for years in the Lake District and Cornwall for years, yet I've never heard that to be a problem there before you mentioning it.

People shitting by the side of the road and just leaving it there has been a problem for years in the Lake District and Cornwall for years, yet I've never heard that to be a problem there before you mentioning it.
They sneak up from Liverpool, under cover of darkness.

No wonder they've tightened up on the 'free camping' around Loch Lomond ...

I was at Bein Glass campsite on the A82 north of Loch Lomond, next to the Drovers Inn, a couple of years ago. Lovely place, except I made the mistake of it being a weekend :blast

Glaswegians .... fuck me, I thought Scousers were bad ....

A car and caravan pulled up and swung round, didn't even bother to uncouple and set up, their pals in another car ... the feckin'noise, music, all night through. I went out to tell them a couple of times, a German couple on the other side too ...

... 4am I was able to drift off to sleep, but they were still 'at it' ... :blast

Feckin' Glaswegians ...

9am and they're snoring their little heads off, but I'm ready for off and away .... but not before aligning my Camper alongside, full right lock, and dropped the clutch. I pebble dashed their caravan with stones, gravel and whatever ... wankers.

There's more than one way to skin a cat :D

:beerjug:

No wonder they've tightened up on the 'free camping' around Loch Lomond ...

I was at Bein Glass campsite on the A82 north of Loch Lomond, next to the Drovers Inn, a couple of years ago. Lovely place, except I made the mistake of it being a weekend :blast

Glaswegians .... fuck me, I thought Scousers were bad ....

A car and caravan pulled up and swung round, didn't even bother to uncouple and set up, their pals in another car ... the feckin'noise, music, all night through. I went out to tell them a couple of times, a German couple on the other side too ...

... 4am I was able to drift off to sleep, but they were still 'at it' ... :blast

Feckin' Glaswegians ...

9am and they're snoring their little heads off, but I'm ready for off and away .... but not before aligning my Camper alongside, full right lock, and dropped the clutch. I pebble dashed their caravan with stones, gravel and whatever ... wankers.

There's more than one way to skin a cat :D

:beerjug:

These are the very same fuckers that have now taken to places like Glen Etive and are doing the exact same, went down these the other week and it was like a T in the Park campsite, cnuts the lot of them.

Back
Top Bottom