FJR1300

Mongoose

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm not doing much riding at the moment and I'm moving house, so don't want a fortune sat depreciating in the garage. I've just seen an FJR for sale, looks nice and tidy, but has 66k on the clock.

Given that I reckon 2 grand might get it, it's no huge risk and I believe the engines are bullet proof and good for well over 100k?

Anything particular to look out for from any previous owners?

Sent from my SNE-LX1 using Tapatalk

These are supposedly good for a lot more than 100k, a lot of the Iron Butt crown swear by the FJR, might be worth Googling 'FJR Iron Butt Association' and see what gives.

I had one. Loved it. Rear suspension linkage needs regular greasing. JJH

I had one for a year, lovely bike, but I just couldn't get comfy on it. The issue I had when I got my second hand one was fuses and bulbs. I had to change every one of the buggers. Once done all was fine. I did get through some rear tyres I had four in the 16K I did in the year, mainly motorway. I couldn't fault the bike, it just wasn't for me.

Oh and speed, joining the motorway from a slip road I had to keep an eye on the speedo because three figure speeds were so easy.

Rear linkages are a item that will need checking. If you buy it get them greased. If they seize, you're off. If you want spirited riding, then spend on the suspension, as it wallows if pushed. Especially fully loaded Otherwise a cracking reliable bike.

Good luck.

I have one. 2005 ABS. Known as being the best for reliability and build quality according to the very well established FJ Club and Workshop (nr Bristol). Be careful as even regular serviced bikes can have seized linkages that are a pain and expensive to fix. Service history should show that this is done. If not avoid. What year FJR are you looking at?

Very early ones have the Front indicators on stalks, don't have ABS or standard luggage and have smaller brake discs. 2004/5 FJR1300A's have ABS, larger brakes, panniers and a locking glove box. 2006 onwards are bigger, weightier and have a revised electrical system that can give plenty of problems. If one of these, make sure that it has the Yamaha recall done on the loom and earthing.

Early engines can have a slight noise from the cam chain and can run for many miles like that. 5 Speed only and early bikes are fairly low geared (70mph equals 4k revs) so consumption is highish (around 40mpg) and sound busy on the motorway, but have great top gear pick up.

You can take them out for a day and put them away without washing and not have the fear of the bike rotting (unlike most modern beemers :blast) - they don't seem to corrode that much unless kept outside with no TLC.

Cops run them in preference to RTs. There must be a reason for that ...

No they don't. Yamaha just gave a stinking deal. The FJR1300 costs way more to service than the RTs. Also Yamaha are no longer making them. RTs are now the way forward again. I ride both and much prefer the RTs and have one of my own. Its a

Cannot stress enough to know that the suspension linkages have been properly serviced. The first time mine was serviced I watched it being done. The mechanic (Ernie at the FJR Club at Wotton under Edge) handed me one of the bearing shafts, my hands were clean both before and after, there was no grease anywhere. Yamaha assemble them totally dry and rely on the 12,000 mile service to sort it out. Because to do the service is a centre stand removal job it often gets missed, dealers being unwilling to charge the labour time required.
Even police mechanics have been known miss it out.
This was the best bike we owned and only got rid of it because the wife stopped pillioning and it became too heavy for me as I got closer to my 70s. It pulls like a train from low revs. We used to camp and I towed a trailer. Fully laden trailer with the wife on the back the bike did not know it was there. I have reached highly illegal speeds (Autobahn or private roads, take your pick) without a problem. Mine was a 2004 abs and the rear shock was total crap, I ended up fitting a Hyperpro rear shock that sorted out the shock problem.
My wife found it the most comfortable of all our bikes.
Knowing these two downsides it is still a great bike and I would still recommend one.

Tom

Early bikes had issues with valve guide wear which you can hear as a high pitched rattle. My 2004 had this issue but it still went like the USS Enterprise on a caffeine high!

My 2008 bike had a 2cm longer wheelbase whic made it even more stable when leaned over.

Throttle body balance is a good thing to do every couple of years and if you want some heavy duty bar ends including friction lock “cruise control” give me a shout.

As Sanghar says, the rear shock isn’t the greatest and I fitted Ohlins and Wilburs to my two bikes. The Wilburs was by far the better.

Most unreliable bike I ever had. All the connectors were green under the headlight fairing.

Paint hadn't stuck well to the engine.

Final drive and swingarm looked as though they had been sandblasted.

The final drive whined all the time.

Forever having electrical faults. Gave up after 6 months, wouldn't have another.

What nonsense can I put here?

Most unreliable bike I ever had. All the connectors were green under the headlight fairing.

Forever having electrical faults. Gave up after 6 months, wouldn't have another.

I’d forgotten about the weird multipin earth connections!

Cheers guys, that's great information thank you! I did have a look at the FJR Adventure, I notice that he's reduced the price by almost half since he first put it up for sale, unsurprisingly!

Great bike

My preferred ride for wrexham Bloodbikes ... my mate Buddi

19 plate just done 40,000 miles

Attachments

• D2B2C798-C3B5-41CF-A0E0-2EB13A2533CF.jpg
    D2B2C798-C3B5-41CF-A0E0-2EB13A2533CF.jpg
    250.8 KB · Views: 407

Because of what has been said before you need to say what year. My 2004 ABS never missed a beat commuting 50 miles summer and winter but garaged and kept on a battery tender for periods when not being regularly ridden.

tom

Back
Top Bottom