690 Enduro

doyle

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Has anyone cleaned the injector on a 690, I have never done it before so have been watching a few different methods on Utube.

Just wondered if anyone had a bit of advice. I think the injector is clogged as I have cleaned and checked everything else I can think of.

Thanks

Has anyone cleaned the injector on a 690, I have never done it before so have been watching a few different methods on Utube.

Just wondered if anyone had a bit of advice. I think the injector is clogged as I have cleaned and checked everything else I can think of.

Thanks

What symptoms are you experiencing??

Won’t idle , starts fine then cuts out. You can keep it going with the throttle ,but bogs ,splutters then dies when you ride it .

Fuel filter if bike is standard is miniscule and easy to be blocked if not inspected / replaced - poss fuel starvation? Just a thought.

Could be injector but more likely in the fuel system. What year? Some years have a tiny inline filter at the injector or the QD. In tank filter and pump are prone to failure too. Mine had similar symptoms and it was a split tank filter. If you take it all out you can drop the pump in a bucket of fuel and then turn on the ignition. You’ll see if there are any leaks as its supposed to prime to approx 50psi.

It’s a 2010, so no inline filter. I have changed the filter 8n th tank and checked the gauze filter at the bottom of the pump ,

The pump appears to work ok .

I took the injector off last night and took it apart, coupled it in reverse to the fuel pipe and attached the power connector, fired the starter a few times to blow any crap backwards- hopefully, will see today if there is any improvement.

I know that this sounds weird, but the regulator rectifier can cause issues as you describe. Rough running, cutting out, back firing and generally rough running.

I had an ‘09 and experienced this a couple of times. The last being for the whole of the Tour of Portugal Rally in 2017. Not enjoyable.

Thanks I’ll bear that in mind,if the problem persists

Keep us posted, always good to know solutions to problems

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Might still be the pump, they can give similar problems when they warm up if they are on the way out, I'm using a Quantum pump in mine, seems pretty good.
I also have a spare regulator to try if all else fails, I swapped over to a MOSFET from Hotshot so if you cover postage I can send the original for you to try.

Have a read through this, loads of information and a lot of it is really useful :thumb

https://advrider.com/f/threads/ktm-690-troubleshooting-guide.1029084/

I sent my injector to some bloke on Ebay who turns them around pretty quickly and gives you a before and after read out, I can look his details if you need ? I also bought a spare injector to carry as they occasionally come up reasonably cheap ( new ) on Ebay.

If it is the injector, the one from later year bikes works fine. I’ve used both without issue.

Might still be the pump, they can give similar problems when they warm up if they are on the way out, I'm using a Quantum pump in mine, seems pretty good.
I also have a spare regulator to try if all else fails, I swapped over to a MOSFET from Hotshot so if you cover postage I can send the original for you to try.

Have a read through this, loads of information and a lot of it is really useful :thumb

I sent my injector to some bloke on Ebay who turns them around pretty quickly and gives you a before and after read out, I can look his details if you need ? I also bought a spare injector to carry as they occasionally come up reasonably cheap ( new ) on Ebay.

Do you have any details for your mosfet ref? Is it one of the Rick’s hotshot ones, and if so do you know if they are available in the UK, or at least Europe?

Thanks!

Thanks for the offer,I might take you up on it if I cannot get the problem sorted. At least I am getting plenty of practice stripping the bike down!

Do you have any details for your mosfet ref? Is it one of the Rick’s hotshot ones, and if so do you know if they are available in the UK, or at least Europe?

Thanks!

Yes, it's from USA unfortunately, and be careful if you do get one from there as the regulator comes with very short leads so you either fit it close to the battery or just extend them yourself !

I've since discovered that the regulator from a later model CBR600 comes with a Shindengen MOSFET and all you have to do is change the connector plugs. I don't have the exact details but it's definitely worth a Google...probably somewhere on advrider :thumb2

Bike now running fine so far! Carried out the reverse injector cleaning trick as posted on Utube by Noah, who I think went RTW on a 690. Might be worth knowing if anyone gets stuck.

Back
Top Bottom