Nav 6 issues - Faulty unit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AJB999

Reaction score
Have some performance issues with my Navigator 6. I don't have another unit to compare it to but am now thinking the unit itself might be faulty.

Bike is booked into the dealer next week for a fault with the alarm so I'll also raise the nav issues then but would appreciate any feedback from other Nav 6 users on whether the behaviour is odd or normal.

When zooming out the map display (using wonder wheel thing) areas of the enlarged map show up initially as blank grey squares before the map loads. Have also seen the same sort of thing a few times whilst just riding and the map updates for my changing location. I'd expect the unit to be able to load/display map data fast enough that this should never be seen.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’d say that this is normal, mine is very similar.

Last edited by a moderator:
The maps should reload reasonably fast but can slow if there is a drop in satellite signal. Don’t forget though that you are flicking it pretty fast with the wonder wheel, give its poor brain a chance.

Is your software up to date?

The maps should reload reasonably fast but can slow if there is a drop in satellite signal.

Loss of GPS signal won't affect how quickly the unit loads the map when zooming out. The GPS signal is extremely weak and contains very little data: it's purely your position, direction and the time, there's no map data in the GPS signal.

The maps are entirely contained on the device itself, and zooming out quickly can cause the Navigator 6 to struggle to keep up with loading the map tiles for the new zoom level. I suspect it's due to having a fairly slow processor and fairly low amount of RAM - enough for keeping up with most actions but you sometimes hit the performance limits. If you compare route calculation times with an offline smartphone satnav app you'll probably see that the smartphone calculates it significantly faster due to a faster processor.

I know there is no map data in the GPS signal itself, it being nothing more than a positioning tool. The problem comes when (as we saw on the early 660’s) the quality of the signal (the number of satellites the device can see) drops, forcing the device to work harder. Couple this to the rapid zoom / shrink input requests the iWheel gives, can create a dual problem.

Should the OP see greyed out maps regularly? No. Will he maybe see them from time to time, yes, whilst the device’s limited powers struggle to keep up.

Did you try cleaning the contacts on the rear of the unit and on the mount with an eraser or similar?

My software is fully up to date.

I'll try cleaning the contacts and see if there is any improvement.

Disappointing however to see that maps greying out occasionally may be a 'normal' behaviour. Likewise it seems that the other issues I asked about may also be normal (am somewhat puzzled why questions in my original post specifically about my Nav 6 have been removed from here and placed in another sub-forum).

Overall must say the Nav 6 has disappointed

Your other questions related to the quality of the sound heard via the device. There is a specific section (created especially) for all ‘sound’ type issues; it is very popular and busy. It also helps if you ask one specific question per post topic, as it saves things becoming muddled up with several answers / responses to three separate questions, two of which are unrelated to the third.

Richard

PS How often is ‘occasional’’? Try flicking the iWheel less rapidly more often, occasionally.

PPS There is a dedicated sub-section where you can moan about all things Garmin, if it helps you to get it off your chest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom