Garmin Montana 700

Berin, thanks for the offer, but if it looks that I'm keeping the XT for general road riding/vacations/etc. I'd go for a button operated handheld unit to use on the DRZ (and replace the 60), as those are small enough and have enough battery capacity so I can potentially use them when (sometimes) cycling through woods/countryside as well. Love my little Edge 25 on the pushbike, but has some limits sometimes. :D :D

One reason it's not in electronic form is demand and more importantly there's occasions when a legal right of way changes, either temporarily or otherwise and unlike road mapping is unlikely to be updated.
As far as TRF members go, I'm not sure they do have a vested interest as there's more it to than contributing to a future dumbed down gene pool who follow a pink line.

Very true

Yep - 60 seconds on the TET Faceache site will tell you that - it consist almost entirely of posts about how people can use an app on their phone ("How do I get the TET on my phone mate:, or, I've downloaded the app, mate, what do I do now") to do the "TET"

However, the TRF are, I believe, in final stages of releasing the much-trailed "Green Road" project.

One reason it's not in electronic form is demand and more importantly there's occasions when a legal right of way changes, either temporarily or otherwise and unlike road mapping is unlikely to be updated.
As far as TRF members go, I'm not sure they do have a vested interest as there's more it to than contributing to a future dumbed down gene pool who follow a pink line.

Very true

So you’ll not be interested in the 700i or the XT’s capabilities then? Nor wondering why OS maps cannot be fully electronically integrated into GPS devices. Indeed, you’ll have no interest in GPS devices at all.

Yep - 60 seconds on the TET Faceache site will tell you that - it consist almost entirely of posts about how people can use an app on their phone ("How do I get the TET on my phone mate:, or, I've downloaded the app, mate, what do I do now") to do the "TET"

However, the TRF are, I believe, in final stages of releasing the much-trailed "Green Road" project.

Much the same as UKGSer’s, “Me phone won’t talk to me GPS and I can’t here me mates”, whose voices became so frequent and their requests so repetitive, that they had to have their own section created.

Good to hear that the TRF are apparently taking up an interest in the 21st century, even if it won’t appeal to all their members. Their website does include all sorts of useful hints and tips on GPS and GPX topics already, which must be piss boiling in some quarters.

5 minutes ago having my piss boiled :
How's London today busy on Google again? :D

Attachments

• 20210426_140112.jpg
    20210426_140112.jpg
    259.8 KB · Views: 121

I already have it, being within the inner sanctum.................. it's good but it's only the up to date electronic version of a paper map

It won't plan routes or generate GPX files of a day out, users will have to still work that out with a paper map or a GPX file

So you’ll not be interested in the 700i or the XT’s capabilities then? Nor wondering why OS maps cannot be fully electronically integrated into GPS devices. Indeed, you’ll have no interest in GPS devices at all.

Oh, I do

They are powerful tool, for route planning on the roads or off the beaten track

They are not a panacea, though

Just another tool in your toolbox, but needs somebody with knowhow to use them fully............hence the questions

5 minutes ago having my piss boiled :
How's London today busy on Google again? :D

How’s London today? Warm and sunny. Sat in the garden (well, it’s sort of a garden) beavering away with work..... as you might expect.

Don’t fall off.

:beerjug:

Oh, I do

They are powerful tool, for route planning on the roads or off the beaten track

They are not a panacea, though

Just another tool in your toolbox, but needs somebody with knowhow to use them fully............hence the questions

I just knew you loved the magenta line, really.

:beerjug:

Ah deal breaker.
Ok. I'll get a 65 or 66 for to use on the small bike and keep the XT for road riding/traveling (mostly on GS).

Thanks for the info Berin.

I really wish the XT had profiles, even a dumbed down version.
I find the map switching a tiny bit tedious to be fair. Also, it seems to reactivate all the map at once when restarted.

The XT does not really need profiles as you can change the map types direct on the main screen with one button for 'Topo active, City Navigator or Birds Eye'.

I currently own an XT.
Had it for almost one year now.

The map changes you can do from the map view overlay buttons are uniquely activating the Topographic map layer and/or Birds Eye.
I do have other, more detailed, open street maps loaded on my XT and the only way to activate them is to go into the preferences and activate/deactivate those manually under the "My Maps panel".
Additionally, when the unit is restarted it looks to me that all the maps are activated at once. Not sure if this can cause some performance issue.

I really like my XT. But I insist, it could do with some – even basic – profiling options.

On the Nav V at least, it’s a nightmare if more than one map is activated by mistake. Only one map is displayed (obviously) but the routing goes haywire.

but the routing goes haywire

I can imagine.
In my case the extra map is non routable (I use it only when offroad following pre-set tracks) so it doesn't create big problems. I wonder though if the Zumo "renders" it below the other layers. Most times when I go to the menu to activate I see the check is there already.
Not a massive problem, but a better way to manage those would be nice.

This is where the Montana wins - as well as having profiles, you can add custom maps to the layer button on the maps screen and use that to switch maps - one press from the map screen.

Oddly, if you look on the Zumo (settings>map and vehicle>map layers) you can check a box that says "custom maps" but the Gravel Maps I've installed on my XT don't appear in Layers. I think the only way to select and deselect them is setting>maps and vehicle>mymaps and check/uncheck the maps you want.
The layers button only ever displays too, birds eye map view (like track up, north up) as options. I have no idea what selecting "custom maps" in layers in settings does.

I currently own an XT.
Had it for almost one year now.

The map changes you can do from the map view overlay buttons are uniquely activating the Topographic map layer and/or Birds Eye.
I do have other, more detailed, open street maps loaded on my XT and the only way to activate them is to go into the preferences and activate/deactivate those manually under the "My Maps panel".
Additionally, when the unit is restarted it looks to me that all the maps are activated at once. Not sure if this can cause some performance issue.

I really like my XT. But I insist, it could do with some – even basic – profiling options.

you can add custom maps to the layer button on the maps screen and use that to switch maps - one press from the map screen

Oh nice, didn't know that.

I have no idea what selecting "custom maps" in layers in settings does

In Zumo parlance, I think what is referred to "custom maps" is the parking location layer and the Foursquare location layer. If you notice, those are separate map files under "MyMaps".

I understand, and agree, that in Garmin's lineup the Zumo line is a bit more or a "consumer" unit (pardon the term). But yes, given it is advertised as an "adventure" device, they could have considered a custom map switching/profiling feature. It is something they can add in a firmware update. Fingers crossed.
Apart from that, as said, very happy with it.

My fav combi

• 66i as safety unit
  • 700 for the Tri-band satnag
  • with the 276cX thrown in just because it is a push button unit
p.s if you have an old 276 TT mount, with a wee bit of tweaking, you can use it for the 700 (in landscape mode only unless you are will to do some sort of mount to enable a 90 degree rotation)
Life is good:okay

Oh nice, didn't know that.

In Zumo parlance, I think what is referred to "custom maps" is the parking location layer and the Foursquare location layer. If you notice, those are separate map files under "MyMaps".

There’s also a separate line and check box for custom maps, as well as 4square and parking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom