Garmin Montana 700

New '700' EU map now ready to download from garmins sssllloooooooooooooooooowwwww servers showing over 3 hours and it's on 8GB ish :blast

Tempted, but still no full postcode search makes it unpractical for normal road use. Especially a to b navigation.

I thought Berin said that with latest software 8.2, it had 6 character postcode searches

It seemed to, a couple of software updates ago, but never worked again. Garmin confirmed its 4 digit only. Crap really, my old Montana 6xx did 6 digit postcode.

There’s a fairly easy workaround by looking up the postcode in Explore on your phone, signal permitting, then sending it to the device really it’s a bodge.

I have an XT for road, 700i for trails when I’m more usually following a track and have all the waypoints loaded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So there you have it JB. 700i for off-road and you can keep your Navigator III for on-road.

So there you have it JB. 700i for off-road and you can keep your Navigator III for on-road.

Not so fast, young fella me lad

Other considerations are I don’t necessarily want 2 Navs on the bike

Battery unit life on a 700i, as one bike has no battery power - it’s direct power only

2610/Nav 2&3 are still fine for road routing on the GS Adv

I might look at a SatMap 20 for OS mapping in uk
and a Zumo XT for the Tenere 700 for uk and Europe road riding and it will do gpx sourced off road Topo mapped routes in Europe like the TET tracks or the Tourenfahrer one of Spain with on/off-road on it
XT is half the price of a 700i too, once you factor the extra in for another £90 for bike & £90 for car mounts, plus £20 for a mains charging plug - even with the current £600 700i offer, with included 1:50 OS mapping

Maybe the XT can handle osm maps for uk to show off-road routing in some form or other

For £700-£800 spent on a 700i with all the extra kit and caboodle-you can have a Zumo XT for the Tenere 700 and a 10 hour battery life SatMap 20 for the enduro bike

Battery unit life on a 700i, as one bike has no battery power - it’s direct power only

and a Zumo XT for the Tenere 700 for uk and Europe road riding and it will do gpx sourced off road Topo mapped routes in Europe like the TET tracks or the Tourenfahrer one of Spain with on/off-road on it
XT is half the price of a 700i too, once you factor the extra in for another £90 for bike & £90 for car mounts, plus £20 for a mains charging plug - even with the current £600 700i offer, with included 1:50 OS mapping

Maybe the XT can handle osm maps for uk to show off-road routing in some form or other

For £700-£800 spent on a 700i with all the extra kit and caboodle-you can have a Zumo XT for the Tenere 700 and a 10 hour battery life SatMap 20 for the enduro bike

I don’t have both on the bike at once! The 700i has city navigator mapping and has an automotive dashboard and is perfectly good for road routing, it’s just not as good as the XT. The XT does much more of the road routing stuff you’d expect, like display up ahead points, search along route, but it’s not as good as the Montana at managing tracks. It’s a more simple device in terms of settings

Also the Montana is a much more rugged device, with a much more secure mount. I’m not sure how well the XT would stand up to knocks and drowning. The Montana has the excellent profiles capability and is more customisable with the features you want to show, dashboards types, menu layouts, and of course it works with OS maps, which the XT doesn’t.

So I use the Montana on dirt bikes and the 690, and the XT on road bikes like the 1190 Adventure, currently also on the HP2E since it’s next trip is Scotlandshire and so nearly all road.

But, if I was going to have only one it would be the Montana. Probably they’ll release the 6 digit postcode at some point and till then work rounds aren’t too bad

I don’t think the Satmap does any kind of road routing. It didn’t used to anyway, though that may have changed. Nor, I think, does it have a powered mount.

For the XT if you are going to use it on trails, factor in some kind of extra security for the mount like this (https://www.zumolock.com/index.php/en/purchase/zumolock/zumolock-xt-detail) or find a way to tether it, as I don’t think the mount is as secure as it could be.

Does the Montana now have a working six digit postcode ?

Some nice new features on the Montana 7xx.

1) 6 digit postcode search now enabled

2) Two “course” options, Direct Path and Roads and Trails. Direct Path isn’t the same as the ”direct” option in Activity which just gives straight lines between points. It runs the route exactly as imported, no changes, no recalculations. Roads and Trails may vary the route to account for differences in maps etc.
Tbh I’m not exactly sure what a “course” is and as I mostly work with tracks I haven’t seen exactly what this does with importing a route

3) announced way points - set a waypoint to announce within a settable proximity

I bought my 700i and powered bike mount from GPS Training a month or so ago. Can’t fault the company, very helpful plus you get a series of online video tutorials specifically for your unit which you can access at your leisure to jog your memory when you have a brain fart and forget some of the many features it offers.

I bought my 700i and powered bike mount from GPS Training a month or so ago. Can’t fault the company, very helpful plus you get a series of online video tutorials specifically for your unit which you can access at your leisure to jog your memory when you have a brain fart and forget some of the many features it offers.

Yes, that’s where I got mine, highly recommended. They don’t know much about using them for motorbikes, though, nonetheless their tutorials are very good

Yes, that’s where I got mine, highly recommended. They don’t know much about using them for motorbikes, though, nonetheless their tutorials are very good

Did you get the powered bike mount? I have to turn my unit on/off manually even though it's connected to the battery, not sure why that is the case but it's easy enough to do.

Back
Top Bottom