Must-see places - cycling in the North York Moors?

Thank you very much, everyone who offered advice.

The weekend was spectacular, doing a good ride on Friday and Saturday, taking in some of your recommended places.

Rising up to the plateau, on the super exposed moors, dropping down into river valleys then climbing steeply back onto the tops.... great cycling and great scenery. It stayed dry thankfully - just the wind to deal with!

We did try to keep out of the way of the GSers and the pogos that we came across :D

For anyone thinking about visiting, I thought it was absolutely brilliant. A1 hospitality, spectacular scenery, super quiet roads, huge variety of terrain, wonderful beer and nosh... brill. Thanks again folks. :thumb

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 110
  • Clipboard02.jpg
    Clipboard02.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 77
  • WhatsApp Image 2020-09-11 at 16.51.24.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-09-11 at 16.51.24.jpeg
    84.8 KB · Views: 90
  • WhatsApp Image 2020-09-12 at 19.12.11.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-09-12 at 19.12.11.jpeg
    115.6 KB · Views: 87
A couple more...

Sitting outside the Blacksmiths Arms at Lastingham, just before the end of day 2, finally having a pint was a great moment. :beerjug:

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2020-09-11 at 11.01.46.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-09-11 at 11.01.46.jpeg
    149.7 KB · Views: 89
  • WhatsApp Image 2020-09-12 at 18.53.01.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-09-12 at 18.53.01.jpeg
    146.1 KB · Views: 93
  • WhatsApp Image 2020-09-12 at 19.12.53.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-09-12 at 19.12.53.jpeg
    195.7 KB · Views: 91
PaulG.....Did you actually cycle up Chimney Bank - no feet down, no pushing, no cheating ?...:D

I had an early morning (6.00 AM) stab at it on 2nd September. I thought that the two top bends might get me but I got there OKish, it was approx' 200 metres into that steep following straight that got my legs really wobbling.

I watched some young French lads ride up it last year - laughing and joking together all the way up....RESPECT !!

Isn't Rosedale just lovely ??!!....:)

PaulG.....Did you actually cycle up Chimney Bank - no feet down, no pushing, no cheating ?...:D

Our route was a clockwise one, so thank the lord it took is down the chimney rather than up!!

Having said that, even the descent was treacherous enough. In the places where the road just seems to drop away beneath you, I had my arse way back over the rear tyre just to keep it on the ground and I was braking as hard as I dared with the front - but even so, was still going too fast for comfort. Had it been wet, it would have been very sketchy indeed.

Could I have cycled up it? Much as I'd love to say so - honestly... not a chance, not even close! There were 'lesser' climbs over the two days that had me right on the edge of stopping. Even a lower first gear (than my 28T) would not have helped because on the steepest damp climbs I already had some moments of wheelspin. Less timber and more leg power were required!

Anyway, flippin' big respect to Yorkshire cyclists. It does make me smile - anywhere in Europe they'd have used 3Km of tarmac to build a 10% switchback road. Oop north... 800 metres of tarmac at 33%? Aye lad, that'll do!

Well top marks for riding down. I (and those French lads) all walked the bikes down - I guess WE knew what was coming...:eek:

True story from 30 years ago re my mates Alex and Ivan.
Ivan had an RD 400 (Kenny Roberts paint/spannies :cool:) Ivan was one serious nutter riding a bike, just full on everywhere. Top of chimney bank and Ivan is revving the RD and Alex jumps onto the pillion seat facing BACKWARDS :eek: :eek: :eek:....YING YING YING and Ivan sets off down Chimney Bank with Alex, facing backwards, clinging onto the rear of the seat...Just mental...:D :D :D

They lived...:)

Back
Top Bottom