Michelin maps

Green Guides are good - I reckon we now have a complete set built up over 30+ years. But their star system for sights to see can be a bit random. and its a bit architecture focused. Good for when you tip up in a strange town for the night.

I too like to buy Michelin local maps, but I always find it a real struggle to identify the right map to buy.

If you don't know the name of the local Departement (sp?) it can be really hard to know which you need. Also, many websites do not include the image from the back of the map showing its coverage. In fact it's not just France - last week a map arrived for part of Belgium that I have no intention of visiting...:D

Anyone got any bright ideas for solving this?

Drop into a good bookshop and look? :augie

:beerjug:

Google has images of the French departments.

http://www.map-france.com/departments/

The Michelin online shop, lists the maps and shows the maps front and back:

0e6b69e27cec9da46b630d47906097eb.png

Normally I too would take a local map, as well. The difference here is that we are lapping France, so will in assorted places, sometimes for one night, sometimes for two or three. I couldn’t be bothered to bring the selection I’d need. Previously I would have done so but now I can fire up Michelin’s local maps on my iPhone, through their excellent free app. I’ll accept that it takes a bit of scrolling around, simply due to the phone’s screen size, but as a free app, it is worth it.

5badce9fb9fce6f9d3d4e887561d0f36.png
58ab344043a155c746d9c32f70bdce72.plist

Thank you.

Downloaded.

May prove handy in future.

I have a GPS, but other than typing in a post code and pressing 'done' I have no idea how to use it. Maps I can use - I still write route notes, down and across cross referencing each waypoint and road number, on stiff paper and put in the tank bag window. There is something about pouring over a map and making notes that is more satisfying than doing similar on a screen.

I would love to learn how to use the GPS - I have just as much trouble route planning with the marine version.

Back
Top Bottom