Michelin maps

Wapping

Reaction score
Ahead of (fingers crossed) a month away in France, I thought I might as well update my two favourite maps of l'Hexagone, my old copies being well over 10 or 15 years old.

The blue coloured 726 map is Michelin’s excellent route planning map, which strips out all the minor roads, towns and villages, leaving just the motorways, the main trunk roads, the great Bis tourist routes and (where appropriate) the D roads that link them up.

The red 792 map is Michelin’s reversible (top on one side, the bottom on the other) ‘waterproof’ map of France. This carries more detail with it, so it is ‘busier’ than the 726 map, but not so intimately detailed as the dedicated yellow covered local / regional maps.

Usefully, the scale 1cm = 10km (or one inch = 15.8 miles, for those who do not do foreign) is the same on both maps.

Unless you particularly want every goat track and two house hamlet (few do) these two maps, with a combined price of just two and a half pints of London Pride, will do you well enough.... and last an awful lot longer.

Buy and use with confidence.

1c7ef04f559c6f0d3b77f7b043da690e.jpg

Maps tell the complete story, that’s for sure. But as a very reliable partner to get you from A to E, via B, C and D (down routes you’ve created yourself) a good quality gps device really cannot be beaten.

A GPS to confirm where you are a Map in the tank bag to help you make choices.

That’s until you get old and your reading eyesight goes... then a bit of pre ride whole picture map thought transferred to a GPS works.

The one rule for me though is I decide, I never just follow a sat nav - Do that and you can find yourself being taken through the centre of Exeter rather than taking the speedy A30 straight on to the M5

hook baited :D

I am a Michelin map man, as many know and even use their UK versions in preference to the the maps you can buy here

On foreign jaunts I usually take about 10 maps that give local detail and overall route planning

Always have a Baglux map case on the tank and use it as an aid to the old 2610 gps on the bars

Normally I too would take a local map, as well. The difference here is that we are lapping France, so will in assorted places, sometimes for one night, sometimes for two or three. I couldn’t be bothered to bring the selection I’d need. Previously I would have done so but now I can fire up Michelin’s local maps on my iPhone, through their excellent free app. I’ll accept that it takes a bit of scrolling around, simply due to the phone’s screen size, but as a free app, it is worth it.

5badce9fb9fce6f9d3d4e887561d0f36.png
58ab344043a155c746d9c32f70bdce72.plist

I agree with Wreford Miles’ summary of reduced (reading glasses) eyesight. I also agree with his use of the sat nav.

Creating the route yourself at least gives you an idea of where you’ll be going.

Normally I too would take a local map, as well. The difference here is that we are lapping France, so will in assorted places, sometimes for one night, sometimes for two or three. I couldn’t be bothered to bring the selection I’d need. Previously I would have done so but now I can fire up Michelin’s local maps on my iPhone, through their excellent free app. I’ll accept that it takes a bit of scrolling around, simply due to the phone’s screen size, but as a free app, it is worth it.

5badce9fb9fce6f9d3d4e887561d0f36.png
58ab344043a155c746d9c32f70bdce72.plist

Your 'Maps' folder is almost identical to my 'Navigation' folder!

Totally agree with you & JB - Michelin maps for planning, satnav purely to relay the plan back to you whilst in motion.

Pre trip map planning is part of the trip. I've never understood the 'can anybody recommend any good roads in..?' requests - the maps give the full picture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love this shop in Oxford.

9c2663ed32fb733b530ae0a4e82cca75.png

It has a mahoosive stock of maps - from the standard Michelins to maps of the Borneo jungle. Always good fun wandering around in there, imagining the next trip across the Pamirs or around Lake Titicaca.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Your 'Maps' folder is almost identical to my 'Navigation' folder!

That was just page one!

Add to that the ‘What three words’ app.

Here’s the entrance to the drive on a bend on an unnamed hill, where my parents lived in rural Provence: ///renaming.retaken.motherhood

It’s a thing of genius, which I’ll be the first to admit, I initially thought would be garbage. Highly recommended if you want to pinpoint somewhere, even in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.

That was just page one!

Add to that the ‘What three words’ app.

Here’s the entrance to the drive on a bend on an unnamed hill, where my parents lived in rural Provence: ///renaming.retaken.motherhood

It’s a thing of genius, which I’ll be the first to admit, I initially thought would be garbage. Highly recommended if you want to pinpoint somewhere, even in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.

f20e8ec7a9e1544c51017e50ba816cfd.jpg

1adffd7ad5a5316ec7a30077ded98a3b.jpg

I love this shop in Oxford.

9c2663ed32fb733b530ae0a4e82cca75.png

It has a mahoosive stock of maps - from the standard Michelins to maps of the Borneo jungle. Always good fun wandering around in there, imagining the next trip across the Pamirs or around Lake Titicaca.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Next time you're in London, pop into Stanfords in Covent Garden. You'll be the last person out!

Michelin 792 is brilliant for long distance route planning. Gives you the big picture spread out on the floor. They used to publish the same in booklet form, number 915, but for some reason have discontinued it. It measures 25 X 12 cms and has 34 pages. It folds open and goes on top of the tank bag. Amazon has secondhand copies available for washers. They compliment each other.

Michelin briefly did a waterproof copy of the 792 map, with a black cover. I forget the number but still have one in my boxes of maps.

Another vote here for Stanfords, a place of wonder and proof that, even in the digital age, the paper map and travel guides are alive and well.

Next time you're in London, pop into Stanfords in Covent Garden. You'll be the last person out!

Ah yes, I have been turfed out of Stanfords after closing time before.

Charts for the Turks and Caicos Islands I think the mission was.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Yes to those maps + GPS to find the hotel/petrol etc.
We stay some for at least a week. Buy the local map and use hi-lighters to show where we have been (wife's job) - makes an excellent souvenir and aide-memoire for photos. Yes I still use a proper camera not a telephone with a miniature plastic disk pretending to be a lens.

I use the Michelin app too for scenic route planning in conjunction with other resources, but always have my iPad with me on tour as my iPhone screen is too small for my ageing eyes :p A couple of maps take up more room than an iPad

If you're stopping in an area long enough to explore it fully then I find the Michelin Green Guides a very good starting point :thumb2

Andres

The Green Guides are excellent.

The free app (as opposed to the book) does a pretty good job, too, being a slimmed down version of the books. Put it onto a smart phone or iPad.

99f8eaec93848151d09b16a5e9e8a10f.plist

528c7d29559e71fbe9a00764a551ca5c.png

5a9ddc4a80f20afd84cd27741c27ec50.png

32128943feeccf80bf9cb8659e81a176.png

2adaa8b8df1f9d04c043efe69924dcb9.png

a8af2ea2f6cb0e946174479ed22028a3.png

A few taps and you’ve got enough to see and do for several days. It will even give you a route how to get to see them all.

Back
Top Bottom