Cbt downtraining or cardington?

Captain jack

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I am getting a little fed up with my “training” and am thinking I might just go straight to the two day assessment at cardington. I know they have a big backlog and the pass rate is abysmal but... anyone else gone down this route?

I've been DVSA qualified for 11 years, trust me if you go there under prepared you will set yourself up for failure, if you then fail a second time you cannot apply again for 12 months. If you go there you want to be properly prepared and confident of delivering to a high standard for a pass. Who is doing your training and what is going wrong? Have you been signed off as a down trained instructor and are you delivering CBTs? Have you written a full, comprehensive and detailed set of lesson plans?

We do trainer training so if you want to be objectively assessed and have some training I can put you in touch with the head of our training company for a chat.

I was down-trained and then I went to Cardington.
I would not have passed if it had not been for an excellent instructor who trained me and by having some experience of conducting CBTs.
Don’t underestimate how difficult it is to pass - if you do not start by becoming fully down-trained with some experience, you will probably need some very good instruction and advice before you go.
Out of the six people on my assessment, only 2 of us passed.

Thanks for the helpful replies. I was doing supervised cbt almost every Saturday from December until lockdown, with no timescale as to when I might get my “ticket”. I will give it a go one more time this weekend and if I don’t get a definitive training plan I will look for another school.

At the moment cardington is shut, and no one seems to know when it will re open, also it will be closing altogether in March of next year, and again, no one seems to know whats going to happen from then on.
We have a new bloke who started with us just before the lockdown he is now downtrained and got his badge and is awaiting a visit to assess him and thats going to be in the next two weeks he will then be going to cardington or where ever they move it to if it does not reopen.

Thanks for the helpful replies. I was doing supervised cbt almost every Saturday from December until lockdown, with no timescale as to when I might get my “ticket”. I will give it a go one more time this weekend and if I don’t get a definitive training plan I will look for another school.

Try not to get upset with me but, are you sure that barely three months of delivering supervised CBT is enough to either bail out or go straight to Cardy? Unless you have a backstory (eg T&D, forces, other uniforms etc) then my view is you are trying to be a little speedy.
Push for the training plan, esp attainment targets for you.

Although still owned and run by the DVSA
Cardington is sold and they are looking
for other suitable sites to relocate the testing
And training to

, just for info

Try not to get upset with me but, are you sure that barely three months of delivering supervised CBT is enough to either bail out or go straight to Cardy? Unless you have a backstory (eg T&D, forces, other uniforms etc) then my view is you are trying to be a little speedy.
Push for the training plan, esp attainment targets for you.

Well i hear what you are saying but i used to teach part one, five at a time, many moons ago. I dont see cbt as a huge difference. I was taught in two days. Anyway i have decided to bail out. Thier loss. I think it might me easier to become a brain surgeon.

Well i hear what you are saying but i used to teach part one, five at a time, many moons ago. I dont see cbt as a huge difference. I was taught in two days. Anyway i have decided to bail out. Thier loss. I think it might me easier to become a brain surgeon.

Ah, you have a backstory. Enough said.

Back
Top Bottom