Exmoor Ford - Can you identify??

retroman

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Good evening,

Just sorting out my photos and came across this one of me getting my feet wet 'somewhere on Exmoor', or possibly further afield.

Anyone able to identify the location?

Last edited by a moderator:
I would love to say that this is the Black Monkey Ford, for no other reason than I love that name.
However I suspect that it is not on Exmoor because I have looked via Google.

I too had a look on Google. I have walked, ridden and driven across Exmoor recently and more so many years ago and never come across that ford. Still, it could be tucked away somewhere close to where I've been many times but just never turned in it's direction. I lived in a village called Thorverton, Devon for a short time about a year ago. There is a small ford there that looks similar to the one in the photo and although I had passed by the village hundreds of times, I had never turned off the main road into it and discovered the small splash which is a ford. Good luck with finding the answer to your question.

I don't do social media but I guess there would be some way of posting the picture on something like "Facebook" that may be received by more people. Good luck with your search. :thumb2

Looking again, could it be Challacombe, Devon?

Streetview is 06/2014, so leaves on trees etc, but looks similar .......... https://www.google.com/maps/@51.152...4!1sJYMsR_hVDblflp4EFCBouQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Building in the background looks like the Pub on the main road, the Black Venus Inn. The salt bin is there in the undergrowth near the poly-tunnel entrance & the try you brakes sign is slightly askew.

YES - it's Challacombe:beerjug:

I remember the name of the village now that you've said it. My photo was taken with a telephoto lens which has compressed distances. Looking at Streetview, the roadside furniture and large building on the right confirm the location.

Many thanks indeed to all contributors, especially squibb who wins a gold coloured paper stick-on star.

:okay

I have been there :blast. Sometime around 1980 and I rode my bike through it. A picture didn't tell a thousand words this time but a quick glance at the map, and it all came back. I lived in Barnstaple at the time, so not far away.

Absolutely love Exmoor, and yea there are many such fords like this.. with and without corresponding stone packhorse bridges.. some deeper than others as I found out this year!

Fluffy Bridges of this parish lives on Exmoor so I have no doubt he will know the location.

Simon - are you out there?

One I wouldn't recommend riding is Malmesmead Ford which crosses Badgeworthy Water just upstream of the join with Oar Water (the combined channel forming the head of the East Lynn River). Very slippery cobbles as I found out last week!

Fluffy Bridges of this parish lives on Exmoor so I have no doubt he will know the location.

Simon - are you out there?
@Lord Snooty, I think the original location was found, I was just commenting about the amount of fords to be found over Exmoor in general.
There’s is one in particular that “got” me earlier this year at the bottom of Hookeay Hill nr Robbers Bridge, Oare.. about a foot deeper than I’d anticipated! Got through it but got soaked in the process!

One I wouldn't recommend riding is Malmesmead Ford which crosses Badgeworthy Water just upstream of the join with Oar Water (the combined channel forming the head of the East Lynn River). Very slippery cobbles as I found out last week!
I did that a couple of weeks ago, decided speed was the best approach but it was a tad dicey. Robbers Bridge looked worse but was actually ok.

Absolutely love Exmoor, and yea there are many such fords like this.. with and without corresponding stone packhorse bridges.. some deeper than others as I found out this year!
I live 3 miles off the edge of it and yeah there’s shit loads. Did the Minehead motor club classic car tour of Exmoor at the weekend. 90 cars, all sorts of stuff from half modern to old stuff. Fantastic 80 mile route. IMG_1846.jpegIMG_1878.jpeg

After about 10 miles we allowed the 1275 with the straight cut box past as the noise whilst reminding us of the early 80s road rally days was getting a bit tiring :)

Whatever happened to Clive? He spent so much time in wet roads he'd have been better buying a boat.

I did that a couple of weeks ago, decided speed was the best approach but it was a tad dicey. Robbers Bridge looked worse but was actually ok.
I was sat at Malmesmead last Wednesday and watched a few loaded GSA bikes go over, and all of them had dicey moments with one guy almost binning it. Luckily they all got over but walking across it was bad enough! Slippery as hell. Robbers bridge is fine. Just a bit narrow. My favourite part of Exmoor is the Brendon Valley. Stunning area.

I always have a go at Malmesmead when on Exmoor, never had an issue when the levels are low ....

17354586-O.jpg

B_09_027.jpg

The last time I went I just ploughed in without checking the depth first, a tad reckless in retrospect! This was my son-in-law who followed me, didn't seem to bother him. But I can see it all going wrong very quickly on this Ford. Hell of a drop into a plunge pool if you bin it!!DSC_0006.JPG

Back
Top Bottom