New Bike Day Tomorrow

I had a chat with the salesman about the 790 vs the 890. He thinks that for most people, and that definitely includes me, the £3,000 difference isn't worth paying. For road use the 790 is plenty and that £3k buys a fair few farkles, tyres and a lot of petrol. I'm simply not a good enough rider to benefit from the 890. I don't need the extra power and wouldn't use it. Mind you, if money was no object, I might have gone for the 890 just because I could. :D

I personally think the Maxxis tyres are rank but that may be due to it being a fair bit cooler up here as they were grand the other week when it was warm but below 20c there is no feeling.

It's pretty rapid once you get shifting thru the gears after run in but once you hit a ton you're straining at the neck anyway. It being a 2020 hopefully you'll not have the leaks like the rest but best run your hand under the lhs after a bit and check.

If I were you I would be using the qs during run in cause I got mine adjusted at the first service and it's a hundred times better now.

They have caught a number of cars and bikes speeding on the coast road this year. For example....

https://www.bridportnews.co.uk/news/18487851.dorset-police-crack-speeding-one-rude-driver/

They also sit in the layby on the A35 as you come into Bridport from the west. It's a long downhill left hand bend in an unnecessary 50 limit, so you can't see the scamera van early. They are there regularly.

More importantly, my new bike.

Sat in Fowlers, just waiting for me

IMG-1709.jpg

Outside Fowlers and I've now got the key

IMG-1712.jpg

70 miles of rain and fog later at a well known local viewpoint

IMG-1713.jpg

First thoughts are it's sooo light. Arse ache sets in after about an hour. maxxis tyres gave no cause for concern, but I was taking it very steadily.

i Love it!!

Looks good. :clap

You need a new helmet now! :D

They have caught a number of cars and bikes speeding on the coast road this year. For example....

https://www.bridportnews.co.uk/news/18487851.dorset-police-crack-speeding-one-rude-driver/

They also sit in the layby on the A35 as you come into Bridport from the west. It's a long downhill left hand bend in an unnecessary 50 limit, so you can't see the scamera van early. They are there regularly.

More importantly, my new bike.

Sat in Fowlers, just waiting for me

IMG-1709.jpg

Outside Fowlers and I've now got the key

IMG-1712.jpg

70 miles of rain and fog later at a well known local viewpoint

IMG-1713.jpg

First thoughts are it's sooo light. Arse ache sets in after about an hour. maxxis tyres gave no cause for concern, but I was taking it very steadily.

i Love it!!

Congrats on the new bike...always nice to get a new bike :thumb

Looks nice mate. I'm sorely tempted but would need a decent screen as I do a lot of big mile days when it does get used.

Biggest I've seen is a Puig one but does anyone know if there's a better one?

Looks nice mate. I'm sorely tempted but would need a decent screen as I do a lot of big mile days when it does get used.

Biggest I've seen is a Puig one but does anyone know if there's a better one?

When I was first thinking of a change I considered trading my gs for a superduke gt, but this would still have left me riding a bike that was heavier than I really wanted on a day to day basis. The superduke, with a decent screen is all day comfortable. The lovely Mrs Saint suggested I keep the gs for distance stuff and buy a second, lighter bike for pootling round locally. I wouldn't want the 790 for high mileage days.

I need a light bike to do it all really. Sold my 790 Adventure as even that was too unwieldy. Test rode the Duke first and loved it but at the time I needed to be able to take a pillion but that's changed now so as long as I could get a screen I'd have no problem using it for big trips.
Did 8000 miles in 8 months on the 790Adv so I know the engine is fine for that. I have an MT07 atm which fits the bill but I miss the light clutch and quickshifter

I need a light bike to do it all really. Sold my 790 Adventure as even that was too unwieldy. Test rode the Duke first and loved it but at the time I needed to be able to take a pillion but that's changed now so as long as I could get a screen I'd have no problem using it for big trips.
Did 8000 miles in 8 months on the 790Adv so I know the engine is fine for that. I have an MT07 atm which fits the bill but I miss the light clutch and quickshifter

One for sale in the for sale section ;)

Get the Camel one finger clutch gadget. Brilliant. Just saying. :D

Had one on my 790 Adventure. Fantastic but of kit but I sold that when I got rid of the bike. Just ordered another one from Rugged Roads once I got it confirmed that it would fit.

Picked up a low miles 2018 Duke for 5 grand so I'm happy with that.

Finally I get to collect my new KTM 790 Duke tomorrow morning. Wahey!!

An early start. Get the dog in the car (she loves the car, but hates getting in :nenau). Then lovely Mrs Saint can drive me to Bristol, where Fowlers will have my bike ready for me at 10 am......

A nice recount of buying a wonderful, fun, motorcycle! I just picked up one myself Thursday and I love this bike.

A nice recount of buying a wonderful, fun, motorcycle! I just picked up one myself Thursday and I love this bike.

It lashed down for all 70 miles of the first ride back from Bristol, but I was still smiling all the way. I've never really minded riding in the rain. I'm now 430 miles into the running in period. I did 266 miles yesterday (West Bay to Mevagissey and back) and I love it. It handles beautifully, even on Maxxis tyres, keeps up with traffic at running in speeds and other than a bit of arseache, was faultless on a 6 hour ride.. The sun is shining now so I'm off to clock some more miles before its first service on Tuesday.

I picked up an 18 month old 790 Duke for £5k with 3000 miles on it.

Just been out on a 160 mile ride in the company of RSVR's, V4 Panigales, Fireblade etc.
The 790 was by far the smallest capacity and least powerful but I bet I had more fun than they did and still got 70mpg.
Put it in Track mode on the way home and turned off the anti wheelie - that was interesting.
Point to point on anything other than motorways I don't think any bike would be any quicker unless there's a nutter taking too many chances.
It's bearable with a Puig screen. Standard exhaust sounds nice and pops and crackles on the overrun. For the money it's a fantastic little bike. Unless you're doing loads of trackdays on big tracks I don't think the 890 Duke is going to be any better

The 890 has a sportier riding position. Higher, rearset footpegs. That alone ruled it out for me. I'm not a good enough rider to benefit from all the go faster bits, either and I don't think British roads are good enough for it to justify the £3,000 price difference. The 790 just simply puts a bigger smile on my face than any other bike I can remember riding.

.......I'm now 430 miles into the running in period. I did 266 miles yesterday (West Bay to Mevagissey and back) and I love it. It handles beautifully, even on Maxxis tyres, keeps up with traffic at running in speeds and other than a bit of arseache, was faultless on a 6 hour ride.. The sun is shining now so I'm off to clock some more miles before its first service on Tuesday.

Good work! I’m inly up to 60 miles. :(
For 60 miles the seat is ok but I can see that I might get achey on longer rides. Probably redo it with a Seat Concepts eventually.

Back
Top Bottom