New Bike Day Tomorrow

bristolsaint

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Finally I get to collect my new KTM 790 Duke tomorrow morning. Wahey!!

An early start. Get the dog in the car (she loves the car, but hates getting in :nenau). Then lovely Mrs Saint can drive me to Bristol, where Fowlers will have my bike ready for me at 10 am. Sort the paperwork, pay the man, chuck the bits and pieces in the car (standard end can, pillion seat, pillion footpegs) and head off down the A37 to Dorchester, then A35 to Winterbourne Abbas before riding the coast road home to West Bay while Mrs saint goes off to Portishead to see her son. The coast road is a joy, but quite heavily policed and with a 50 mph limit.

Hopefully there won't be any storms tomorrow morning, but it's not looking good.

Pictures (we all like pictures) to follow.

At last! It's been a long wait, congrats :)

I think they're brilliant bikes, I'm sure you're gonna have a ball on it!

Andres

Enjoy the new toy! Coastal road looking rather lovely. Who cares about the police if one keeps the speed bellow the limit. At speed you’ll miss all the scenery.

I don't know how to multi quote so...

Yes, I will sleep. I sleep much better now I don't drink alcohol.

Yes, it's been a long wait and very frustrating. I'll only have a new registration number for 2 weeks, but as the bike is a keeper, it doesn't matter (much)

600 miles at a maximum 6,500 revs. I've no idea what top speed this equates to. Can't use the quickshifter in that time. It'll be fast enough while I'm getting used to it and to Maxxis tyres.

Roll on tomorrow :D
The coast road is one of the best I have ever ridden, at least the bit between Abbotsbury and West Bay, even at posted speed limits. I'm not sure it needs a 50 limit. National speed limit would be fine imo.

The coast road is one of the best I have ever ridden, at least the bit between Abbotsbury and West Bay, even at posted speed limits. I'm not sure it needs a 50 limit. National speed limit would be fine imo.

A lovely road, I know it well, my (English) Gran's old farm, New Barn, is just a mile out of Abbotsbury. Also the uppy/downy road that goes past Hardy's Monument is pretty special too but worth waiting until you're run in as it's super fast........actually all the roads around there are lovely (and quiet).......sorry, I'll stop rambling now :D

Have a great day tomorrow :beerjug:

Andres

A lovely road, I know it well, my (English) Gran's old farm, New Barn, is just a mile out of Abbotsbury. Also the uppy/downy road that goes past Hardy's Monument is pretty special too but worth waiting until you're run in as it's super fast........actually all the roads around there are lovely (and quiet).......sorry, I'll stop rambling now :D

Have a great day tomorrow :beerjug:

Andres

Thanks.

I know that road well, too, as it links Winterbourne Abbas with the coast road. So many good roads here, which is why the Duke is arriving and the gs will be for longer distance stuff.

Not sure why you can't use qs, Cabby. I read it somewhere, so it must be true. :D

...if you need an excuse for a ride, you could ride over to my new place and check it out for me before I arrive next Thursday. The seller doesn’t live there and there’s a few clearing crap away things he needs to have done.

After that you can try some of the Marshwood Vale backroads :D

...if you need an excuse for a ride, you could ride over to my new place and check it out for me before I arrive next Thursday. The seller doesn’t live there and there’s a few clearing crap away things he needs to have done.

After that you can try some of the Marshwood Vale backroads :D

Happy to go and have a look. I'm pretty sure I've cycled past it. Did you find a way to get your gsa down?

Winterborne Abbas to Abbotsbury is really good, but I prefer the alternative road from Martinstown to Abbotsbury. Much tighter and bumpy, but with some of the best views in Dorset :thumb2

Despite it being an obvious hunting ground, I've only ever actually seen one speed trap on the coast road. That was near the pub in Swyre. Being more of a local than me, do you see much yourself? Always best to be forewarned even though I'm generally not inclined to rampage down there :D

Enjoy your new bike :)

They have caught a number of cars and bikes speeding on the coast road this year. For example....

https://www.bridportnews.co.uk/news/18487851.dorset-police-crack-speeding-one-rude-driver/

They also sit in the layby on the A35 as you come into Bridport from the west. It's a long downhill left hand bend in an unnecessary 50 limit, so you can't see the scamera van early. They are there regularly.

More importantly, my new bike.

Sat in Fowlers, just waiting for me

IMG-1709.jpg

Outside Fowlers and I've now got the key

IMG-1712.jpg

70 miles of rain and fog later at a well known local viewpoint

IMG-1713.jpg

First thoughts are it's sooo light. Arse ache sets in after about an hour. maxxis tyres gave no cause for concern, but I was taking it very steadily.

i Love it!!

Back
Top Bottom