Triumph 650 twin

snakebasket

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I've had this in the shed for years and decided during lock down to try and get it going.

Simple but daring question - dare I ask but what oil do people use in the old Triumph pre unit twins. Manual says GTX but this is old info.

Internet search gives lots of conflicting links but I was think of using classic Morris 20/50 or even Halfords Motorcycle 10/40 . Any thoughts as I am about to dump the old oil, clean the sump plate and try to fire it up once I've got fresh oil.

Hopefully it will go after my initial fettling.....

Attachments

• IMG_3105.jpg
    IMG_3105.jpg
    250.1 KB · Views: 629
Are you up to doing a video of it's first start (attempted start) in umpteen years?

Good luck....:thumb2

PS.....

I knew that this would come in usefull one day....:D

Attachments

• IMG_9049.jpeg
    IMG_9049.jpeg
    13 KB · Views: 551
Thanks for the comments, yes a Featherbed slimline with Tiger 110. Bought as a project in 2003 and been in the shed and then came lockdown.
I'll go for 20/50 as it's readily available. Haven't kick started a bike in years (other than a Postie and an Armstrong...) - hadn't thought about a vid but will give it a go. Will be in about a week - need gaskets or gasket paper..... hopefully the magneto will dish out sparks!

Attachments

• IMG_3101.jpg
    IMG_3101.jpg
    261.9 KB · Views: 574
Sadly no video of it firing up. No sparks at the plugs so I guess there is a magneto issue. Been looking at YouTube vids and it's a little daunting getting it off and testing it but I'll have to get around to it. Shame as I had hoped it would start but it's old and allowed to be cranky.

Thanks for the comments, yes a Featherbed slimline with Tiger 110. Bought as a project in 2003 and been in the shed and then came lockdown.
I'll go for 20/50 as it's readily available. Haven't kick started a bike in years (other than a Postie and an Armstrong...) - hadn't thought about a vid but will give it a go. Will be in about a week - need gaskets or gasket paper..... hopefully the magneto will dish out sparks!

I like that a lot - first big bike was a 55 T110 - could certainly have done with some better handling!!!

Yes Tiger 110 engine. Update , magneto definitely the problem so going to buy new brushes leads points etc and then if no luck with the spark will get the magneto refurbished.
In the meantime lots of other little jobs to do but although it's not running it's starting to get there.

Attachments

• IMG_3296.jpg
    IMG_3296.jpg
    253.7 KB · Views: 448
Nice looking bike, regarding oil unless you know the engines build history stay clear of anything synthetic. The detergent will loosen any internal debris and send it round the pump and oil ways. One good mod would be a modern cartridge filter, the standard tea strainers are pretty poor and designed to have the oil changed every 1K miles. I've just rebuilt a BSA B25 from 1970 so later than your engine and you would not believe how much crud and carbon there was in the oil trap on the crank. I had to chisel it out it was that bad. Also have a good look at the breathers many of the period British engines ended up with positive crank case pressure, with that and aluminium to aluminum joints and paper gaskets they will leak oil. By modifying where the breathers are fitted you can get rid of the positive pressure and reduce oil leaks, I would not say eliminate leaks they just do.

Nice looking bike, regarding oil unless you know the engines build history stay clear of anything synthetic. The detergent will loosen any internal debris and send it round the pump and oil ways. One good mod would be a modern cartridge filter, the standard tea strainers are pretty poor and designed to have the oil changed every 1K miles. I've just rebuilt a BSA B25 from 1970 so later than your engine and you would not believe how much crud and carbon there was in the oil trap on the crank. I had to chisel it out it was that bad. Also have a good look at the breathers many of the period British engines ended up with positive crank case pressure, with that and aluminium to aluminum joints and paper gaskets they will leak oil. By modifying where the breathers are fitted you can get rid of the positive pressure and reduce oil leaks, I would not say eliminate leaks they just do.

Thanks for thr sound advice. I used a classic Morris 20/50 from a very helpful company called SRM in Wales.They supplied gaskets filter etc And yes I do have the obligatory leak.

Just came across your thread. I to have a pre unit 650 Triumph that had a failed magneto. After sending it away to a shop for three months to get a repair estimate which they never supplied I had them return it. Install a Thorspark electronic ignition system, it incorporates the old mag so bike looks stock. It started on the ist kick! And has each time I,be attempted to start it. Cost was £160 delivered. A mag rebuild is usual £325 to £500 so am thrilled with this system. Will attempt to attach a picture. If you want any info just PM me. Good luck with your ptoject

Attachments

• 048D2391-743F-4AE0-A688-3207CA0A785D.jpg
    048D2391-743F-4AE0-A688-3207CA0A785D.jpg
    252.9 KB · Views: 398
Just came across your thread. I to have a pre unit 650 Triumph that had a failed magneto. After sending it away to a shop for three months to get a repair estimate which they never supplied I had them return it. Install a Thorspark electronic ignition system, it incorporates the old mag so bike looks stock. It started on the ist kick! And has each time I,be attempted to start it. Cost was £160 delivered. A mag rebuild is usual £325 to £500 so am thrilled with this system. Will attempt to attach a picture. If you want any info just PM me. Good luck with your ptoject

Hi, I've only just got around to reviewing the thread after having enjoyed the story of your fabulous build- what a lovely job you've done and what a lovely bike!. It's very inspiring for me. The reason it all went quiet is that the magneto rebuild wasn't that easy to arrange, not just because of COVID but there is such a long delay- one company quoted about a year! Fortunately I was put onto Cosmo Motorcycles in Hastings - a brilliant company and I have just got the call that my Magneto is now all done . I think had I known at the time about your solution with the electronic ignition I would have gone that way. So hopefully I can get going on the bike again.

Stick the magneto in the airing cupboard or near the central heating boiler for a few days :eek:

Got my Rocket Goldie up and running that way :D

Lovely 'bike :thumb

:beerjug:

Stick the magneto in the airing cupboard or near the central heating boiler for a few days :eek:

Got my Rocket Goldie up and running that way :D

Lovely 'bike :thumb

:beerjug:

Now that's a good old school tip I guess, but have had the magneto rebuilt and collecting it on Friday! It was done for me by SRM via Cosmo Motorcycles in Hastings. I can recommend Cosmo - he is brilliant!

Back
Top Bottom