Advice - East Devon where’s is nice.

Rushy

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Going to be staying in Exeter for one night next week . Travelling down the M5 early in the morning and looking for somewhere near to Exeter or on the way to spend the day . Last time we went down there we stopped of at Bristol and Weston Supermare Self , wifey and 10 yr old daughter Where is a nice place to spend the day maybe closer to Exeter ?

I’ve never been to Taunton , Bridgwater , Honiton or perhaps drop down to Sidmouth or Exmouth . Any recommendations?

* Teignmouth and Shaldon, 20 mins south of Exeter
Shaldon is very quaint

Shaldon
9f9e0468947645e39cd48d6f2fb45e6b.jpg

Ness beach at Shaldon (through a smuggler's tunnel)
4a7cc3c342f32e06a8e1e14c49e8a353.jpg

* 20 mins east of Exeter is Budleigh Salterton - another unspoilt and quintessentially English seaside resort

Budleigh beach

09551d8d8a6cac3f5fc7f5ffa5d4e255.jpg

Both gems of the Devon coast (forget Torquay and the English riviera or Exmouth - all are dives unless you're a local and know it's lesser known beaches)

Teignmouth & Shaldon or Budleigh are worth searching out, you won't be disappointed and won't be too over busy in these mad Covid times

Forget South Devon, it's full and not that exciting anyway. It will add 60 miles each way to your drive but turn right off the M5 into Bridgewater, than head to Minehead and then follow the coast to Lynmouth, then have a cream tea and look around at the Valley of the Rocks before setting your satnav for Exeter which will take you back to the North Devon link road and the M5 to Exeter.

Forget South Devon, it's full and not that exciting anyway. It will add 60 miles each way to your drive but turn right off the M5 into Bridgewater, than head to Minehead and then follow the coast to Lynmouth, then have a cream tea and look around at the Valley of the Rocks before setting your satnav for Exeter which will take you back to the North Devon link road and the M5 to Exeter.

He wanted East Devon - a trek to North Devon is a fair hike and especially if there is an incident on the link road

Avoid Lyme Regis at the moment. It's rammed to the gills.

There are loads of good roads to ride in East Devon/West Dorset. Towns are towns, so worth avoiding where possible.

West Bay, where I live, is very bike friendly. Loads of bike parking, a branch of Helmet City if you need any kit and crab sandwiches at Rachel's on the harbour. Lovely!

He wanted East Devon - a trek to North Devon is a fair hike and especially if there is an incident on the link road

The extra 100 miles is worth it and no big deal. If there is an incident on the link road it means congestion is about the same as south Devon without an incident at the moment.

Second that, but take care going up Porlock Hill a few miles after passing Minehead if you are not familiar with it!

The extra 100 miles is worth it and no big deal. If there is an incident on the link road it means congestion is about the same as south Devon without an incident at the moment.

Different breed up there though

If I were to move back to Devon, it would be to East Devon, still has the charm of old Devon

Avoid Lyme Regis at the moment. It's rammed to the gills.

There are loads of good roads to ride in East Devon/West Dorset. Towns are towns, so worth avoiding where possible.

West Bay, where I live, is very bike friendly. Loads of bike parking, a branch of Helmet City if you need any kit and crab sandwiches at Rachel's on the harbour. Lovely!

He’s with the wife and 10yr old, so unless he’s in an outfit he’s unlikely to be looking for ‘good roads to ride’. FWIW I’d second Budleigh Salterton, lovely little town and shouldn’t be too crowded, unlike some of the more popular destinations. The CC commented the other day that Devon & Cornwall were ‘full’.

He’s with the wife and 10yr old, so unless he’s in an outfit he’s unlikely to be looking for ‘good roads to ride’. FWIW I’d second Budleigh Salterton, lovely little town and shouldn’t be too crowded, unlike some of the more popular destinations. The CC commented the other day that Devon & Cornwall were ‘full’.

I missed the bit about wife and daughter. West Bay is still great and I'd agree about Budleigh Salterton. Beer and Seaton are also good.

Going to be staying in Exeter for one night next week . Travelling down the M5 early in the morning and looking for somewhere near to Exeter or on the way to spend the day . Last time we went down there we stopped of at Bristol and Weston Supermare Self , wifey and 10 yr old daughter Where is a nice place to spend the day maybe closer to Exeter ?

I’ve never been to Taunton , Bridgwater , Honiton or perhaps drop down to Sidmouth or Exmouth . Any recommendations?

It would depend on what 10yr old and better half like. Does it have to be coastal?

Exeter is well worth a visit. You could visit the Cathedral then sit on Cathedral green for lunch. Then, take walk to the Quay and when you get there buy an ice cream for the little one while you have a pint or, take a walk along the canal and feed the many swans. There is a nice pub at double Locks which is only a short walk, very scenic and good food.

If you have time when you get back to the quay, take a walk back into the city center and have a look around, even the high street has many old buildings and history. It's a beautiful city and on a nice day, the buskers are usually very good too. Take a walk behind "Boots" the chemist and you will see the old Roman wall. Close to Boots, there is a Waterstones book shop where you may be able to buy a guide book of Exeter or perhaps, you could visit the library which would be close by and borrow one for the day.

Oh! Bridge Motorcycles on Marsh Barton industrial estate is well worth a look. there is a cafe for the girls while you have a look at the Vincent in it's glass case. there is a very nice Norton Commando tucked too, but you might have to ask or you may miss that, it's tucked away.

If you do decide to visit Exeter, I could meet you and point you in the right direction and, if you really wanted, I will show you around but it really isn't hard to navigate your way around Exeter. It's not like that place,,,,,,,,London. :thumby:

I live in Exmouth but I have to agree with Jonnyboxer, it’s not the place to visit at the moment as it is full of people from the places that have extra Covid restrictions in place but they can travel wherever they like!!
Back beach at Teignmouth, Shaldon or Budliegh Salterton are good tips, if you go to Teignmouth on the coast road via cockwood the Anchor pub next to the little harbour is worth a visit.
I am away next week in my camper crapping in laybys and adding to the NC500 carnage( only joking) or would paddle across for a pint.

Al.

I live in Exmouth but I have to agree with Jonnyboxer, it’s not the place to visit at the moment as it is full of people from the places that have extra Covid restrictions in place but they can travel wherever they like!!
Back beach at Teignmouth, Shaldon or Budliegh Salterton are good tips, if you go to Teignmouth on the coast road via cockwood the Anchor pub next to the little harbour is worth a visit.
I am away next week in my camper crapping in laybys and adding to the NC500 carnage( only joking) or would paddle across for a pint.

Al.

Thanks

He’s with the wife and 10yr old, so unless he’s in an outfit he’s unlikely to be looking for ‘good roads to ride’.’.

We will be in the Mrs C30 and the daughter get car sick if I start having fun ...........:D

If you do decide to visit Exeter, I could meet you and point you in the right direction and, if you really wanted, I will show you around but it really isn't hard to navigate your way around Exeter. It's not like that place,,,,,,,,London. :thumby:

Thanks for the advice and the offer to meet up Valentino , much appreciated :thumb2

Al.

Cheers Devon ..... don’t forget your toilet roll :D

Forget Bridgwater, apparently the curtains are still drawn when the Royal train passes through Bridgy, nough said ...:rolleyes::)

Depending upon how 'old' your 10yr old is you could even contemplate a visit to Crealy Adventure Park which is about 6 miles East of J30 M5; I went recently with my 4yo Grandson and there was enough to amuse and the place full of kids of all ages.

Back
Top Bottom