Bridgestone A41 tyres

I've got A41's on my 1250. Just over a 1000 mostly dry miles, and I think they are very grippy but don't know about tyre life yet. Some of these posts are scarring me as I've always been a standard tourance man. If we believe that OE 41's could be sub-standard, how do they compare to new replacement 41's?
I think that has been addressed earlier on in the thread?

Sent from my SM-A202F using Tapatalk

On my second set of A41's on my GS. Bought from a tyre fitter and weren't standard fitment. I've had no problems in the wet solo or 2 up with luggage. Get 10,000 miles out of a pair.
So very surprised that some people really seem to dislike them.

A few thoughts...

Hi all, I thought I'd chip in here.

I run a motorcycle tyre shop in London called Two Tyres - we're a forum sponsor. We hold around 50% of all the Adventure-sized tyres in stock at any one time. We have a little page on it here

I've written a guide showing (almost) all the tyres you can fit to your 1200GS 1250GS which you might find useful. I've listed the ones that are currently in production or recently stopped being made but are still available. If I've got anything wrong in there, please do correct me.

The 3 most popular tyres we're selling for the GS at the moment are:

1. Michelin Road 5 Trail
2. Metzeler Roadtec 01
3. Bridgestone A41

We have not had any customers slating their A41s, infact most love them but a a couple who have tried T31s said they didn't like the feel on the bike. I imagine that if you fit AX41s for the road, you'll forgive their shortcomings on tarmac but if you do exit the road, you'll be well covered.

Last edited:
Maybe it’s a BMW thing with A41s because my Yamaha Super Tenere came with A41s on it. I found them a good, quite and grippy tyre in both wet and dry conditions. I really didn’t look forward to riding on them as past experience with Bridgestones hasn’t always been great. They did 8000 miles including 2 tours of Northern Europe and I would guess that I had 1500-2000 miles left in them when I changed to Michelin PR5 Trail tyres. I only changed them at that point because I was doing the 4 compass points of mainland U.K. and I didn’t think they would last the distance. The A41s didn’t have any chicken strips left either. Would I put them on my bike again? Yes I would.

Originally had A40s on my bikes and really liked them in both wet and dry

My 1250GSA came with A41's and as has been said many times in this thread, the front was toast at 3800m. Back has plenty of life so I've replaced the front with another A41

I don't think it is a case of manufactures fitting lower spec tyres though. I have 2 touring friends who also had replacement A41s on their Super Teneres. Both are experiencing the same problem with the front being worn out by 4k

Think I'll try Conti TA 3S next

Mike

I have a new GS 1250 and it is fitted with the OEM Bridgestones. My previous bike had Roadtec 01’s fitted and I much preferred them in every weather and just a more pleasant ride.

Am going to get shot of the OEM tyres next month and they’ll only have had 500 miles or so I reckon. Will post them for sale.

Am probably going to get Roadtecs again but am tempted by the TA3’s.

My new 21 GS came with the A41s and I have to admit my heart sank a bit when I realised I had Bridgestone tyres. Years back I was a fan of the 020s then had the 021s which I had zero confidence in.

Other than OEM Bridgestones fitted to my first Crosstourer I’ve never had them since. My brand of choice is now Michelin.

All that said, I do believe, in me at least, it’s a head thing. Logic tells me that any tyre from any of the big manufacturers is almost certainly more capable than me. However, as we all know, confidence on a bike is huge factor.

I’ve only ridden around 450 miles on my GS so far and being a new bike and not having had a BMW before I’ve not really pushed it, they’ve seemed fine on dry and wet roads.Though they are noisy.

Would I buy them again, no of course not, I’ll be looking for something from the fat man.😂

A41s, good dry grip to start with, then degraded rapidly and were lethal in wet! replaced at 4k ish miles front and rear, front had developed a very strange profile and felt like riding on knife edge, rear had some tread left but grip had disappeared.
back to TA2s and handling much better.
OEM tyres must be built down to a price....

I always thought that OEM tyres were a scam.
You either got charged more for the exact same thing or got charged the same but got less thread depth or something.

However I saw this video yesterday and it changed my mind.

https://youtu.be/COA630Juf_U

The OEM tyre actually had 4 different compounds and different banding compared to the regular retail version of the same tyre.

Admittedly this is a car tyre and to be used on a premium sports car. I don’t see them going to this effort for a bike.

I always thought that OEM tyres were a scam.
You either got charged more for the exact same thing or got charged the same but got less thread depth or something.

However I saw this video yesterday and it changed my mind.

https://youtu.be/COA630Juf_U

The OEM tyre actually had 4 different compounds and different banding compared to the regular retail version of the same tyre.

Admittedly this is a car tyre and to be used on a premium sports car. I don’t see them going to this effort for a bike.

Michelin are renowned for being manufactured in all the same quality, versus some other that don't...

I don't know how true this video is but it mirrors some of the comments made by a local tyre fitter about how shit OEM tyres can be. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tv97i_-V7hA

I have to replace my rear tyre due to a puncture that can't be repaired. I was going to change front and rear for Michelin PRs but at 2,500 miles the front is hardly worn. The rear still had loads of life on it but is just beginning to square off. Hopefully the original front will last until the replacement rear also needs replacing.

I've had no problems with the A41s, either on this bike or my previous F700GS.

I have to replace my rear tyre due to a puncture that can't be repaired. I was going to change front and rear for Michelin PRs but at 2,500 miles the front is hardly worn. The rear still had loads of life on it but is just beginning to square off. Hopefully the original front will last until the replacement rear also needs replacing.

I've had no problems with the A41s, either on this bike or my previous F700GS.

Never used them as took them straight off my new 1250 , but two mates who had them on their new bikes struggled to get more than 2 k from the front as worn out , rear was okay . They ride in let’s say a spirited way on roads with lots of corners so with the TL front end and the weight they wear fast .

Never used them as took them straight off my new 1250 , but two mates who had them on their new bikes struggled to get more than 2 k from the front as worn out , rear was okay . They ride in let’s say a spirited way on roads with lots of corners so with the TL front end and the weight they wear fast .

I've just been and had a good look and feel of my front tyre. All seems fine to me after 2,500 miles. I'm no hooning god but I don't think I'm particularly slow!

These Bridgestone ones?

7372698acb5610d80c525abe5ea7ed3e.jpg

I've just been and had a good look and feel of my front tyre. All seems fine to me after 2,500 miles. I'm no hooning god but I don't think I'm particularly slow!

It may be more the roads we ride , we do a lot around Wales and to be fair the surface can be a bit harsh . One chap ( did not listen ) when on a set to Spain , they had done around 800 miles , he got as far as Jaca and had to change the front 1400 miles as it had gone and would not do the remaining 5 days . That trip was on the lorry one collect from Barcelona . He liked the feel , but hated the wear lol
I was not making any riding points , more our experiences with the 41 , don’t start me on RT 01 s.😂😂

My regular riding mate has always rated A41s for grip and value and he can ride the wheels off most things. He has a 1200 GSA, admittedly he hasn’t tried some of the other tyres mentioned but he see no need too as he’s more than happy with the A41.

I was interested to see a few mention the trail attacks as their favourite because they were mine too on my 1200GS, I might give them a go again. My CT came with PR4s, tried another set but the I wanted a 100% Road tyre so went Bridgestone T30evo which quickened the steering, felt ace and were quite a bit cheaper. I found I could ride right off the edge of the tyre , great grip. Then next was some Pr5s as the T30s weren’t available. PR5s had a much flatter profile so seemed to slow steering plus rear wore out fast , back to T30s and the rear was worn by about 4K again so I put it down to me riding a bit harder , put a new rear on in April have done just under 2k and the rear looks 40-50% worn already . Front in need of replacement now too.

Thanks to this thread I think I will try the Conti TA again :thumb

Back
Top Bottom