Sharing a library between Mac and Pc

Berin

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I use my Mac for most things but there are some map tools I use that are Windows only, so I also run Windows 10 using Parallels.

To keep consistent I’ve been using one BC library for both versions of Basecamp, hosted on Dropbox. I never run both versions of BC at the same time.

However, it seems that if make a change in, BC for Mac, this isn’t reflected in BC Windows.

I’m struggling to understand why this is.

Anyone got any ideas?

“9

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There was a thread some time ago about sharing a database between two Macs using Dropbox. I wondered if the same trick would work under Windows (it does) but reading that thread and experimenting with my own machines it looked like the database formats between Mac and Windows versions were different. I'm Windows only as far as Basecamp is concerned so I'm not able to experiment further.

Is it not possible to store on a wireless HDD in your home - and open on either machine? Make sure you keep another backup?

Yes, I could store it on another disk, but I’m not sure that would help, plus I then don’t have access when I’m travelling.

What I may not have made clear, is that both Mac and Windows open the library held on Dropbox successfully, and all the tracks, routes and waypoints are all there on both, on first opening.

What doesn’t seem to work is that if a make a change in the Windows version it doesn’t show when I open the library in the Mac version and vice versa.

You could try digging into the underlying file formats to see which files are changed. Not sure what you do on Windows but using Finder on the Mac you can right click on the Dropbox file and choose 'show package contents' then sort the contents by date to see what changes.

Back
Top Bottom