Garmin Zumo XT cradle issue.

shedracer

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Issue started to raise it head today, not noticed it happen before. Cradle is hardwired into bike, via Eastern Beaver switch power hub, using the supplied Garmin power cable. Been working ok, switch bike off and the XT powers down and stays off (after is tiresome software update search), even if left in cradle.

Today when turning the bike off, the XT powers down and off, but if left in the bike cradle, even though there’s no power to the cradle, the XT switches back on, I’ve checked and there is definite not any power to the cradle! I was fortunate to try another XT From another rider in my cradle, and that did the same thing. I then tried my XT in his bike and it worked as expected.

So it seem that its the cradle thats at faul here, anybody else encountered this?
Cheers

Issue started to raise it head today, not noticed it happen before. Cradle is hardwired into bike, via Eastern Beaver switch power hub, using the supplied Garmin power cable. Been working ok, switch bike off and the XT powers down and stays off (after is tiresome software update search), even if left in cradle.

Today when turning the bike off, the XT powers down and off, but if left in the bike cradle, even though there’s no power to the cradle, the XT switches back on, I’ve checked and there is definite not any power to the cradle! I was fortunate to try another XT From another rider in my cradle, and that did the same thing. I then tried my XT in his bike and it worked as expected.

So it seem that its the cradle thats at faul here, anybody else encountered this?
Cheers

Have you had a good look at the pins on the power lead in the mount? I have seen a number of posts outlining problems with the pins becoming damaged.

Have you had a good look at the pins on the power lead in the mount? I have seen a number of posts outlining problems with the pins becoming damaged.

I’ll have a closer look, but they seemed ok. It’s odd that the cradle is making the XT turn on, even when there’s no power to it!

Most modern Garmin devices detect when the bike’s ignition is turned off, the device displaying something along the lines of: ‘External power lost, remain on?’. If I say, ‘Yes’, my 1600 then powers the device from the bike’s battery (the ignition being off) for say two to three minutes, whereupon it displays the message again. If I touch ‘No’ the device shuts down, if I say ‘Yes’ the device switches to its internal battery.

How long does your XT remained powered for, when you turn the ignition off?

Are you sure that it’s the device’s battery that is taking over, rather than the bike’s battery? In other words, that the canbus is not seeing the Eastern Beaver hub as something that needs to be powered?

Can you check the device’s settings, to see if there is an option to amend the time the device remains running on its own internal battery, if there is no external power?

Most modern Garmin devices detect when the bike’s ignition is turned off, the device displaying something along the lines of: ‘External power lost, remain on?’. If I say, ‘Yes’, my 1600 then powers the device from the bike’s battery (the ignition being off) for say two to three minutes, whereupon it displays the message again. If I touch ‘No’ the device shuts down, if I say ‘Yes’ the device switches to its internal battery.

How long does your XT remained powered for, when you turn the ignition off?

Are you sure that it’s the device’s battery that is taking over, rather than the bike’s battery? In other words, that the canbus is not seeing the Eastern Beaver hub as something that needs to be powered?

Can you check the device’s settings, to see if there is an option to amend the time the device remains running on its own internal battery, if there is no external power?

Hi Wapping, I’ve checked the time out and it set on 2 mins. The Easter Beaver power hub has 4 connections, 3 switched (so loose power when bike is switched off) and one that remains live. The one that remains live, I use for battery charging, I use one of the switched for the Garmin. As far as I know, the Yamaha Tenere 700 doesn’t have canbus, it has been working without issue up until yesterday. I spent half an hour on the phone with Garmin, explaining the issue. They are going to replace the Garmin motorcycle power cable, but unfortunately there is no stock with Garmin Europe, until end of September. Ironically when I placed the XT on the mount this afternoon, powered up ok and when I turned the ignition off, the XT powered down, and stayed off. Weird, but atleast the new new cable will be on the way, in case it starts to play up again.

Back
Top Bottom