GPX route for Dales.

are you stopping in Moffat Cabby ? If so or even if you are passing through, Pop into the Buccleuch Arms on the Min High street . Chat to Dave the Owner he used to own the Moto go loco Software , His knowledge of the borders is incredible, He will give you some proper GPx routes to ride round there.

In relation to the dales, N Yorks area, Try add the Buttertubs Pass into your route. It rises NW of Hawes towards Kirby Stephen, Im am sure with your knowledge you could plan an easy enough route. There is a lot to see and do in the Dales ,so even with no route, you will enjoy exploring the area .

are you stopping in Moffat Cabby ? If so or even if you are passing through, Pop into the Buccleuch Arms on the Min High street . Chat to Dave the Owner he used to own the Moto go loco Software , His knowledge of the borders is incredible, He will give you some proper GPx routes to ride round there.

In relation to the dales, N Yorks area, Try add the Buttertubs Pass into your route. It rises NW of Hawes towards Kirby Stephen, Im am sure with your knowledge you could plan an easy enough route. There is a lot to see and do in the Dales ,so even with no route, you will enjoy exploring the area .

I'm fairly familiar with the South east part of Scotland, Moffat included, so know my way round there but will bear it in mind.

I often ride down it at 62 mph and have never seen a camera van and to be fair the views are so good anyone that does not spot a camera van deserve all they get

I ride in the Dales every weekend. You can almost guarantee there’ll be a scamera van on the Settle - Ribblehead - Hawes roads and sometimes two. They do park in the 30’s and 40’s, but also park in sneaky places on NSL roads e.g. just over the brow of a hill or around a fast corner. By the time you see them, it’s too late. The only safe policy is to keep below 65 :(

I also saw one on the only decent overtaking straight between Threshfield and Kilnsey in Wharfedale last weekend for the first time, so they’re also targeting more rural roads now.

Not that exciting a road though at a strict 60mph and heavily policed by camera vans

The Dent roads at 60 mph are far more ‘involving’ though

It’s definitely been spoilt by over zealous policing as it’s one of the best riding roads in the U.K. at naughty speeds IMHO, but we’ve brought it on ourselves due to bikers riding beyond their abilities and crashing on a regular basis.

Looks like I may have to abandon the Dales and stick to the Lakes. Weather looks pants Thursday/Friday better Saturday but being Bank Holiday room prices are more than I want to pay and with the weather turning again later Monday a dash round the Lakes and D&G looks my best bet for Sunday/Monday as I need to be home midday Tuesday and the weather is turning pants again. :blast

Thanks for posting this - really useful. I have modified it for a round trip from Sheffield with Mrs Snelly for the 19th Sept. Staying at Simonstone Hall near Hawes overnight to break it into two parts. Should be good as I don't know the Dales that well.

Thanks for posting this - really useful.

I have modified it for a round trip from Sheffield with Mrs Snelly for the 19th Sept.

Staying at Simonstone Hall near Hawes overnight to break it into two parts.

Should be good as I don't know the Dales that well.

Please don't punch any waiters or bar staff, you've been warned !!!:D

Thanks for posting this - really useful. I have modified it for a round trip from Sheffield with Mrs Snelly for the 19th Sept. Staying at Simonstone Hall near Hawes overnight to break it into two parts. Should be good as I don't know the Dales that well.

We stopped there for my wife's 50th birthday treat before heading to Athens as it was top of her bucket list. The views are spectacular if you've booked a south facing bedroom, but the bathroom was rather dilapidated for a £200 room. The chef couldn't cook a medium steak either - a good vet could have revived it.

Got this far today and turned back, long story.

c8c290c836564f9bd46f6b5a3c2f8f87.jpg

Decided to go on a whim at 2PM on a Friday afternoon with nothing booked then finding multiple road closures on top of delays due to traffic wasn't my best idea, caught in no mans land heading east when I needed to be heading west and time not on my side I decided to abandon ship and return home.

Quite happy to have survived tbh, never had so many cars pulls out on me, cut me up on roundabouts and had so many blue lights flashing in my rear mirror in one, every day is a school day.

The weather was actually ok if a tad brezzy.

August Bank Holiday Friday - whatever did you expect?

Mid Sept when weather improves and kids are back to school

Not a bank holiday up here but I should've known better about Friday traffic but it was the road closures that really scuppered things, huge detours, heading me in the wrong direction but hey how, nobody died.

Just got back from 4 days on Jockland, got as far north as Drumbeg (west of Unapool). Marvellous it was too

But not as good as Gods own country (Yorkshire) ��

Back
Top Bottom