TET Portugal - humour me.

AndyB_11

Still waiting
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
On a scale of 1-10 how good an idea is it to go trail riding in Portugal in either November or early December?

Nothing too serious, just a steady day out doing a couple of hundred miles per day, almost certainly winging it regarding where to stop with the only essentials being a bed, a bar and food. The idea is to use my Husqvarna FE501 very lightly loaded hence the use of hotels and to spend 8 days between ferry crossings just exploring the countryside.

I’ll be putting the off road wheels/tyres rather than the 50/50 ones on the bike so minimal road use and with the planned relatively low mileage there’ll be no need for messing about doing an oil change during the trip which simplifies matters a bit.

Route planning will consist of downloading the TET Portugal maps as a starting point then depending on weather deviate a bit if I like the look of somewhere with a bit of visual assistance from the inevitable Michelin maps.

It all sounds very simple so what am I missing?

I’d say that it could be quite cold.....but then you like Elephant Rally and the like so that’s no problem.

Covid issues....possible quarantine on return and potential lack of available travel insurance.

Other than that Portugal is a wonderful country which is generally fantastic value for money and has some fantastic food offerings.

I’d say that it could be quite cold.....but then you like Elephant Rally and the like so that’s no problem.

Covid issues....possible quarantine on return and potential lack of available travel insurance.

Other than that Portugal is a wonderful country which is generally fantastic value for money and has some fantastic food offerings.

That was my first thought, cold. A lot of Portugal (and the TET) is at altitude so will be cold, not enough to put me off though.

Andres

Overnight temperatures are the reason I’m not planning on camping (I did consider it) because I don’t want the bulk of a winter sleeping bag when everything has to go into a pair of 18l panniers plus possibly a 20l bag on the back.

I’m not really worried about the quarantine part of it because I’ll push it back to mid December if I can then have my normal 2 week xmas break as the quarantine period.

We've been a few times, I'd say October could be good, but starting to get wet and cold in the North. But you can't tell - we were there later September/early October a couple of years ago and it was in the 30's. Never been as late as November/December, but I'm sure the weather will be better than here!

I wouldn't really say the TET in Portugal is at altitude, at least if it was we didn't notice it - we did pretty much all north to south, and over west to Viano do Costello to. Maybe a few hundred meters, (but I'm sure someone will prove me wrong)

Daytime temps 16-18 and nightime temps low enough for a frost, we have been lucky the last two years, beautiful sunshine every day and lunch outside in the sun, we are 1000ft up in the mid part of Portugal near to Alvito Da Beira.....This is December through to mid January.

Last year it had been raining heavily for 2 weeks prior to our arrival and there were many landslides, we had one, we also had a waterfall into the lake we didn`t know we had......I have seen the weather all over the place change in the last decade or more and it really is just pot luck, but I know where I would rather be for the winter and it ain`t UK.

I was on the south coast of Portugal (Faro area) back in early January 2011, day time temps in high teens, low twenties. Nigh time around 10-12°. Not sure what it would be like in the mountains/hills but can imagine being much cooler than by the sea, unless you are way above 4-5k altitude.

I’ve done the Touratech trail in February, north to south...frosty some mornings but no rain and perfect riding/weather.

First thing to consider would be the lack of daylight on your Off Tarmac routes.
Its going to be cold anywhere above 1000 ft and maybe wet too.
Are yer going on your own Andy or with a pal ( just in case )
Have a great trip - just look at the next days forecast and adjust yer route to suit. = It will pass the evening on while you eat yer big steaks

So not all that bad an idea then?

I’d much sooner be riding in temperatures around 12-15c than 20 degrees warmer where you need to carry a lot of water to avoid dehydration. I’ve been trail riding in winter before and tend to wear neoprene gloves which while lacking protection keep those digits warm even if it chucks it down with rain and a Buffalo mountain shirt worn under my normal jacket is plenty warm enough.

The reduced daylight hours are why I think my daily mileage will be a couple of hundred at the most even allowing for faster sections of graded roads or tarmac but I’ve got very good lights on the bike and if I end up doing 100 miles each day on trails then 40-50 on tarmac to get to wherever I decide to stop it’s not going to matter.

I’ll be doing my normal trick of looking at the weather while I’m on the ferry and deciding at that point where to go. The only real downer would be if it was tipping it down with rain in all directions but I’d probably know that was going to happen before I even left home and use my GS for a road trip instead of going trail riding.

If you go down the "border line trail" you get an extra hr by crossing over and back
Wiki Loc it all and select trails maybe 4x4 wuld be an easier choice and a bit safer.
Good luck and enjoy yersen

I’m from Portugal, what means TET?

Enviado do meu iPhone usando o Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom