Hardknott Pass - Cumbria

I did it with a pillion on my HP2 after we made some very poorly constructed foot rests...

matey wasn't keen to be on the back...

I agree.

I found the Hardnott Pass to be more technically difficult than any I've experienced
in the the Swiss, French, Italian Alps.
I've only been over once on a bike which was a poor choice of make and model to tackle
said pass. Twas a HD Road King.:eek:
The direction we took finished off at the Woolpack pub in which a nerve settling pint
of lager was rather welcome.:D
Next time I do it, it will be on a bike a third the weight of a RK.:)

PS, as already posed there's only one bend that's really tricky (1 in 3), the rest is straight forward.

On a Road King?!?’ Fuck me, respect to you :D

Last time I did it on a bike was back in the days of Yahoo Groups and a bunch of us from the Supermoto group did a weekend at Langdale site - we must have spent a whole afternoon just riding up and down it; top fun, several offs (me included), but no broken bones......what more can you ask for :D

Andres

If you bored here is a video of us riding over Hardknott from West to East

The lady at the front had only been riding for about 6 weeks (being followed by her husband) and I had a pillion on the back. As you can see, it's do-able, just take your time and wait for a gap in the traffic for a clean run up.

At the beginning of the Summer I popped up there for a tootle and ended up enjoying myself a bit too much. Ended up getting a bit of air every now and then so had to pull over and calm my antics down as I'm not normally that silly. I've been up since, but there has been too much traffic so I've gone on to other roads.

The last time I did these roads, my (now ex) wife burst into tears as she was scared sh*tless on the back of the bike. It took some persuading to get her back on the bike after I'd stopped to find out what all the wailing was all about. I thought they were great :augie:augie

When I first started riding a solo - an 1100 Pan European - after a 20 year pause for family, and previously riding a sidecar combination, I had a weekend of 1 on 1 training with a class 1 police instructor. I knew most of it, but applying it was what was important. This bloke rode the ST1100 for a living, and raced bikes in his spare time. He was good. He put me on the back of my own bike to show me how it handled and to point out techniques over the intercom. I know how your girlfriend felt. I also realised how little you can see from the back. You cant see how close the gutter is, nor can you tell where the centre of the road is. Everything seems to be on the edge and the perception is one of heading for oncoming traffic or running off the edge of the road.

On the high alpine passes, I asked my pillion to tell me what she could see on the left. We were on the right side of the road. All she could see to the left was the void. No centre line, no road, just nothing. The view ahead is also limited to the far distance. She was riding a much scarier ride than me, and mine on narrow descent of the Furka Pass in heavy rain and thick fog was scary enough.

It pays to talk to your pillion about where the bike is positioned and what you are doing. There are few points of reference on the back. Try it - you'll see what I mean.

It’s a tarmac road that goes over a hill - If it causes someone fears just thinking about it, then my fear is how that rider would react when faced with the safe but unexpected. Maybe a tightening lefthand bend, with a wet manhole cover and oncoming traffic.

It’s a tarmac road that goes over a hill - If it causes someone fears just thinking about it, then my fear is how that rider would react when faced with the safe but unexpected. Maybe a tightening lefthand bend, with a wet manhole cover and oncoming traffic.

I take it you have never been over it?

Yep this. Let's keep some perspective, it's just a road and one that many nobbers manage perfectly well in their cars, so it should be well within the limits of a competent rider. There are a few sections to be cautious on admittedly, but still...tis just a road...!

Gents thanks for the brilliant advice and banter, the question certainly generated some debate.

I've done it east to west and hadnt a great clue what to expect, but like most riding forward planning is one of your best attributes. I'd agree wholeheartedly that not trying the steep ascents withot a clear road ahead could be disastrous, with the numptys in cars that would never think to allow a bike to come up whilst they waited.

Many Thanks Ali

Yep this. Let's keep some perspective, it's just a road and one that many nobbers manage perfectly well in their cars, so it should be well within the limits of a competent rider. There are a few sections to be cautious on admittedly, but still...tis just a road...!

agreed it is just a road, its not the highest/steepest, it can be challenging but it is just a road. Yes I have been there and done it, numerous times, infact was there last week, first time I did it was a week after passing my test in a singer Gazelle bought off my grandad, that would have been 1979

agreed it is just a road, its not the highest/steepest, it can be challenging but it is just a road. Yes I have been there and done it, numerous times, infact was there last week, first time I did it was a week after passing my test in a singer Gazelle bought off my grandad, that would have been 1979

Yup and I honestly believe it's the drops that freak folk out. If you filled in the valley it would leave a flat 8ft wide piece of road with some twisty bends and steep slopes but nothing to worry about really. The drops don't bother me so the ride doesn't either. Maybe it's cos I've done a lot of hill walking and peering over the sides of hills :nenau

I've done it once (on my GS). Hearing the horror stories about cars blocking the ascent I chose to camp near the base of the pass and then have a clear run at it at 6am. Even then, a sodding Post Office van pulled out infront of me at the base of the climb, so I pulled over and gave him ten minutes to get ahead of me.

The ascent was wet and slippery when I did it, and I breathed a huge sigh of relief at the top. Box ticked, I doubt if I will go back and do it again!!

Good views from the top.... it can be quite intimidating looking up the hill from the bottom. My photo doesn't really show the severity of the incline.

Attachments

• IMGP0691.jpg
    IMGP0691.jpg
    245.7 KB · Views: 254

Back
Top Bottom