Hardknott Pass - Cumbria

Just for a bit of perspective I once led a big ride out of 40 or so bikes, a lot two up, and a wide range of abilities and experience including a couple of 125s on L plates (we were on our way to camp on Piel Island and had to travel in a group) over the pass out of Langdale, Wrynose pass and Hardknott pass. Guess what, nobody fell off, dropped their bike, overheated their clutch, rode off the road or anything dramatic on the passes. Everyone enjoyed it and nobody thought it excessively challenging. The bikes were mostly Honda Africa Twins though, so maybe the issue is the bike 🤷*♂️

Mind we did have about half a dozen people throwing themselves at the mud and sand on the way over to Piel Island. 😄

I wish it was still allowed to ride to Piel ☹

And of course at the foot of Hardknott is the growing EskFest, nicely boutique, quality ales, amazing food (I shall remember the mutton jalfrezi for ever) and a wide variety of good music on 3 stages :beerjug:

Just for a bit of perspective I once led a big ride out of 40 or so bikes, a lot two up, and a wide range of abilities and experience including a couple of 125s on L plates (we were on our way to camp on Piel Island and had to travel in a group) over the pass out of Langdale, Wrynose pass and Hardknott pass. Guess what, nobody fell off, dropped their bike, overheated their clutch, rode off the road or anything dramatic on the passes. Everyone enjoyed it and nobody thought it excessively challenging. The bikes were mostly Honda Africa Twins though, so maybe the issue is the bike *

Mind we did have about half a dozen people throwing themselves at the mud and sand on the way over to Piel Island.

That route sounds like fun, does it have name?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've done the Fred Whitton 3 times and it's the best way to experience Hardknott Pass in all of it's painful glory especially as its about 90 miles in and you're full of cramp.

Passed my motorcycle test 10 years ago and this was my first proper ride over, I was being thick and just rode it on my new to me R6 with toss steering lock, target fixated a little on the steepest hairpin and simply had to stop, was ok though.

On the GSA it's much more fun, it's all about reading the road ahead and planning.

And don't stall the bloody bike going up them switchbacks :comfort

It’s a tarmac road that goes over a hill - If it causes someone fears just thinking about it, then my fear is how that rider would react when faced with the safe but unexpected. Maybe a tightening lefthand bend, with a wet manhole cover and oncoming traffic.

Don't understand either...been over many times including a trip with a 74 year old riding a feckin Vespa I was on a fully loaded-up RT...I would also note a Traction Engine has been driven over the pass albeit in reverse...adventure riders my arse

:jes

I must admit, I was on full clench watching that.:eek:

Just imagine what they could do on a trials bike.:thumb2

Not saying it isn't steep because it is, but the angle that phone/camera is being held at is making it look significantly steeper than it actually is. Either that or trees grow at a very odd angle over there.

Pissed it.

That corner on the west side is very interesting though, wouldn't like to meet anything there at the same time.

OK, I am going to the Lakes on Monday and was planning to ride the Hardknott. I remember doing it in a car in my 20s and was very nervous. I think this thread has put me off!

OK, I am going to the Lakes on Monday and was planning to ride the Hardknott. I remember doing it in a car in my 20s and was very nervous. I think this thread has put me off!

No you should go for it. Really feels safer on a bike than in a car imo.
Do it at around 9am and will be empty = more enjoyable.
Alternatively late afternoon it will be empty again.

No you should go for it. Really feels safer on a bike than in a car imo.
Do it at around 9am and will be empty = more enjoyable.
Alternatively late afternoon it will be empty again.

Cheers Spike, it’s first thing on my planned route on Tuesday morning, so will make an early start! Starting from Ambleside. I am confident in my ability it’s car drivers that concern me and having a clear run at the tricky bits.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cheers Spike, it’s first thing on my planned route on Tuesday morning, so will make an early start! Starting from Ambleside. I am confident in my ability it’s car drivers that concern me and having a clear run at the tricky bits.

It's quite easy. On the Wrynose pass which I'm assuming you'll be riding first, where it's very narrow and hedgerows either side I always stand up (pretend I'm arriving at Waitrose!) to get a better view of any oncoming. Once you're clear of that bit it's a piece of cake. There's a long fairly flat valley between the end of the Wrynose and the start of the Hardknott. You can generally see oncoming vehicles well ahead so it's easy enough to time it so you're not tackling an uphill 180 cambered switchback with a transit van coming the other way. In general when I've been there's only ever been a few vehicles oncoming, it has never been busy.

Despite the bluster of some on here, there are a couple of bends where people can and do balls it up. Mate of mine who is a far far better rider than me, nearly did just that a week ago because he was two-up, fully loaded and didn't spot an oncoming which then appeared at the worst possible moment. A bit of planning ahead is all it takes. Personally I think it's a fantastic road.

Nah as Spike and FS996 say its okay

Lots of Hype

I wanted to it coming home from a bike meet near Bicester and MadMountainMan and Flip gave me a route (See attachment I started bottom right and followed up the map Sorry about phot that was a photo of Rich's roadbook page and me drawing the line with my finger on my tablet)

There was a small road between Ambleside and Kirkstone called the Struggle

As with most of the passes, It really is a case of planning... Be in a gear with a mid range revs so you can both add power or use engine braking especially at the Hard Knott

Get a good look at it as you approach and work your way up methodically if its a tight right stay to the left of your lane don't cut it and if its a left stay mid lane so you have room to move in or out!

I had a brilliant ride around up there in the early morning and only struggling with the afternoon heat and the number of rubber neckers and cut away for the bigger roads asap at that stage

I managed quite a few of the passes that day apparently :aidan

Attachments

• Passes run home.jpg
    Passes run home.jpg
    246.3 KB · Views: 184
I agree.

I found the Hardnott Pass to be more technically difficult than any I've experienced
in the the Swiss, French, Italian Alps.
I've only been over once on a bike which was a poor choice of make and model to tackle
said pass. Twas a HD Road King.:eek:
The direction we took finished off at the Woolpack pub in which a nerve settling pint
of lager was rather welcome.:D
Next time I do it, it will be on a bike a third the weight of a RK.:)

PS, as already posed there's only one bend that's really tricky (1 in 3), the rest is straight forward.

I've only just read this thread, Stu your memory is failing, you have done it twice, once with me in August 2017 on your BMW GS 800. Here you are celebrating on a large rock at the bottom of Wrynose Pass.

The first time I did it was in 1974 on my FS1e. My pal fell of his :D (only damaged his pride)

Attachments

• stu wrynose pass.jpg
    stu wrynose pass.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 187

Back
Top Bottom