Hardknott Pass - Cumbria

This is on my to do list, i did the Bealach na Ba at Applecross this year which is another pass that instills fear is some.

i must admit after reading all the stories i was ready for it... then as we started the incline it started bouncing down, water running at us like a river and a hellish sidewind.
my visor steamed up, i opened it and preferred a face full of rain and see!!, i felt all the muscles tighten across my shoulders and i was nervous
once i got over the top and round the hair pin bends going back down i could see far enough ahead to relax.

When i do Hardknott i would prefer the weather to be kinder lol

Ah yes the weather... :D

When I rode it in Sept 2018 I had to fjord through a flooded main road to get there. Just as you start tracking along the valley side on the Wrynose the winds picked up massively and threatened to send me off the (very narrow) track there. Definitely a hairy ride if you get on the wrong side of the weather!!

Once you've ridden the Rhotang, the Baralacha and the Khardung passes, as quite a few on her have, others become much less intimidating :D

Once you've ridden the Rhotang, the Baralacha and the Khardung passes, as quite a few on her have, others become much less intimidating :D

True, but that’s a bit like comparing chalk and cheese. Anyone riding those types of passes are unlikely to be doing it onboard the type of heavily laden GS that folk on here use. If you’re riding Khardung la for example you will most likely be on something much more lightweight and easy to pick up, say a Royal Enfield or whatever. What we’re talking about on this thread are folk who are used to our very tame local A and B roads going over the Hardknott on a large adventure bike. It’s easy to see how folk can suddenly find their low-speed handling game a bit lacking and end up having a topple, since it’s quite a departure from the majority of the roads you’ll find outside Scotland or the lakes.

It’s a road, not sure why people freak out about it, it’s a piece of piss.

Took a group of Tossers up there a few years back, never mentioned it being tough, they all passed over it without any drama or nervousness.

Took a group of Tossers up there a few years back, never mentioned it being tough, they all passed over it without any drama or nervousness.

I took the Goldwing over wrynose and hard knot passes last Monday. 2 up. Only problem was the poor road surface.

Just done it. In the rain and cloud. Hard as nails me.

What he said. It’s just a road, only ever done it two up (many times) fully boxed up. Don’t think too much about it and enjoy the scenery!

I cycled up it back in March .....harder to actually come down it then go up it

Back
Top Bottom