A couple of tracks around the Dolomites

er-minio

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Summer trip was a bit rushed this year.
Spent some time in back home in Rome and Tuscany and then 5 days up and down the Dolomites before an early re-entry to avoid quarantining.

I generally spend more time riding on the alps between Italy and France, forgot how beautiful the Dolomites are (I still prefer the western roads).

These are a few of tracks from the roads I've done with my friends as guides :)
They might come handy. Please review them if you use the files as I didn't clean them up and there are probably fuel stops here and there, u-turns, etc. you get the gist.

2020trip.jpg

2020dol.jpg

I'm also adding the route towards Trento we did to get there as we went through the road over Monte Baldo that I didn't see before. Beautiful, but extremely narrow. Will post a couple of short video clips. I just have to go through the GoPro footage.

garda-trento.gpx
From after Verona, up to Monte Baldo, stops just outside Trento.

trento-rolle-belluno.gpx
Passo Rolle, Sella, Gardena Fedaia.

belluno-vajont.gpx
Easy 200ish km loop from/to Belluno.
Includes Passo Duran, Passo Giau, Staulanza, a quick climb to the Vajont Dam and back to Belluno (track stops before reaching the city gladly).

Boring videos, but work as a preview of the roads. This should be Passo Staulanza:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/NiWmzn_68js" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Passo Duran going up. Pretty but narrow:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/dn74VBBGTb0" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Passo Duran going down:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/lnFWDnLYKDY" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I didn't cross it (yet)!
I avoided the area even two years ago when I went down by bike again (my family has a seaside house in Tuscany, so I tend to get there often).

On the way back crossed the Alps with a friend and then stopped at Rapallo (at other friend's). The day after on the way to Tuscany I had to take a detour that avoided the bridge.
The motorway around Genova has always been historically a piece of crap but, oh boy... 70km of roadworks. And they still wanted money for it :D
If you are traveling in the area, avoid anything around Genova altogether at the moment to be fair, unless you have to get there. It will just slow you down more than the usual.

I'm slowly cleaning up my Basecamp library and I'm coming up with a few tracks down in Italy that might be useful here (I hope).
I'll post a few more when they come up.

Looks like your route takes in portovenere which is a beautiful place

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On the way south I stopped one night at a Friend's place in Rapallo.
Then Tuscany (my parents have a seaside place in Argentario) and quick jaunt to Rome to sort some crap.

Back
Top Bottom