First time I've bought a main stand before the bike arrives !!

Kenny

Trustworthy Scouser AND
Mod Squad
Reaction score
Toxteth scouser, made good ..now hiding on the W
Joining the club, if you'll have me :JB

Bought a nice 2017 G310GS which arrives next week ( being serviced etc at the moment )

Just ordered a main stand...seem's a must on these bikes.

Airheads are becoming well overpriced......so trying one of these beauts :cool

Now, what else do I need ( sadly, not Rally Raid - bit to expensive for me )...I just ride North Wales etc etc

so keeping suspension stock, for starters.

you need better suspension handle bars not made of cheese. thats about it for a start , then cush drive rubbers a 15 tooth front sprocket and the patience of a saint to remove the body work . not many on here have kept them very long it seems. learn to rev it to the moon to make it go .

I put SW-Motech EVO pegs on mine - really good. I will one day put a rear brake enlarger on it ... just never quite got round to it. I intended to use mine as my commuting bike this year but COVID fixed that .... working from home since March. I did RR mine for a specific trip and the mods are excellent but a significant investment for sure - and Carole Nash really didn't like it. We'll see what they or Bennetts say when renewal time comes again. The Tractive suspension from RR is absolutely excellent - I tried a "stock" non-active suspended F850GS along a back road I know well and the 310 was more planted than that machine. Actively suspended 850s are probably better but the Tractive stuff does the job really well.

Depending on your build, the powerbronze screen, bar risers and Renthal bars from RR are also god value. Most of all - just ride and enjoy. It's a tough little bike.

- Stephen.

good cheap bike enjoy the ride , been looking for a rallyraid bike second hand. the headlight flicker will drive you mad but a bit of mastic in the top will sort that .

Agreed, tough little bike.
Bar risers give a good riding position.
LC Vario topbox fits straight on, no adaptor plate needed.
Depending how well fed you are, the suspension is a bit soft.

Not arriving until later in the week ( so I haven't got a flashy circular garage :D )...dealers pics :thumb2

Pretty standard except screen.

Meant to ask; been a lover of TKC80's for many a year..any fitted a pair or similar?

Attachments

• s-l1600 (0).jpg
    s-l1600 (0).jpg
    219.6 KB · Views: 468
  • s-l1600 (12).jpg
    s-l1600 (12).jpg
    239 KB · Views: 486
That screen much better than the standard. Put the Barkbusters and Rally Raid combined crash bars on mine. Been ragging it round the B and C roads with gusto loves to be revved all at 79 mpg Cracking little bike that handles well . Enjoy !

so how many owners as on here then ? same red bike as mine

get him to fix the headlight before collection

I'll fix anything on the bike:cool:..... having owned airheads since 1981, should be able to fix anything:D. I trust from an earlier post the headlight needs a more positve fixing? They are not a BMW dealer. Looking forward to it arriving later this week. Red one's are the best...allegedly !

I'll fix anything on the bike:cool:..... having owned airheads since 1981, should be able to fix anything:D. I trust from an earlier post the headlight needs a more positve fixing? They are not a BMW dealer. Looking forward to it arriving later this week. Red one's are the best...allegedly !

Headlight is a pita to get out and back in again. If you remove it make a point of releasing the two extra power supply leads that are tucked away in there for possible use at a later date.

I found Hastings insurance were fine regarding the RR mods I put on mine.

Michelin Anakee Wild were okay on the road and dry Italian TET but poor on the mud found in my local area. Having said that, full knobblies struggle around here sometimes.

Halfpint, Depending on how stupid an insurance quote I get, mine might well go on the market. Either that or I dig out all the stock parts, revert it and then get my son to sit his Direct Access that he keeps telling me he is going to do ....

310 gs

well i shall wait and see what you do with your bike . so that 3 people riding them

so old hat maybe bombay motor works crew keep up with da yuff man !!

Just a heads up, my mate bought a centrestand for his 310GS but after faffing around fitting it he discovered that it didn't lift either wheel clear of the ground so he took it off and sent it back. He had Tourances fitted at the time, not sure if the profile of them is lower than others. Be interesting to see if yours is the same. He's now got Avon Trailriders fitted which he says are the biz after the Metzlers.

He's also fitted a BM rear mudguard which was apparently specced for the Aussie market, looks horrendous in your hand but actually looks ok when fitted and defo cuts out all the crap which gets thrown up by the back wheel.

Lovely wee bike to ride, feels like a bicycle compared to my 1150...hope you enjoy it :D

Centre stand and small storage added. Lovely.

But ( what is it with BMW's ? ) I noticed a small drip or two etc on the belly pan ( I haven't ridden her yet ).....so took off the belly pan and found it was coolant ( probably expansion as it warmed up well in the garage today ) coming from the hose which meets the water pump housing - as per marked. I didn't get a riders/owners manual with it and can only look from the top inside of the fairing into the coolant bottle and can see that there is NONE in there :eek: Should this expansion tank have water in it when cold ? If so, bit disappointed in Craig Honda of Shipley for supplying it like this after having a service for the sale.:( Only a few drops but wiped it up 3 times now.....and bike hasn't even got off the ramp :blast
Just wondering if this is the norm for the expansion tank and the seepage ( my MT09 also seeped a little if garage got hot ). Also, do BMW just use standard anti freeze if I need to top up.
Looks a lovely bike.

Attachments

• 20200913_123726.jpg
    20200913_123726.jpg
    208.1 KB · Views: 223
  • IMG_2143 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_2143 - Copy.jpg
    232.3 KB · Views: 237
  • IMG_2149 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_2149 - Copy.jpg
    235.2 KB · Views: 229

Back