Drift Innovation BS

Slipperyeel

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Looking for some thoughts.

I'm on my second Drift Ghost X camera. It's the second because the internal battery of the first one died. So Drift Innovation gave me a healthy discount in recompense to buy another. So that's what I did.

8 months later, the replacement camera has done exactly the same. I've approached Drift Innovation who have asked a few details, one of which was "how am I charging the camera?". I have used various USB chargers, but mostly an OEM Apple USB phone charging plug.

I'm now told that it's my fault the camera isn't working because I've killed the internal battery using a 1 amp charger!!!

I understood that if the amps were lower it would just take longer to charge and rather than rapidly degrading the battery it would more likely increase its life??

I think it's a load of bs from this guy at Drift - not to mention they only sell it with a USB cable, no charger included.

Am I right?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Thats a bollox comment by them, the camera will only draw what it needs to charge just like any other device. Request the show you within their own instruction manual where it states anything related to the type of charger to use.

EDIT from their own website
https://driftinnovation.com/blogs/support/ghost-x
8ef549cf1a691b1bc8ad861cdba2223d.png

Looking for some thoughts.

I'm on my second Drift Ghost X camera. It's the second because the internal battery of the first one died. So Drift Innovation gave me a healthy discount in recompense to buy another. So that's what I did.

8 months later, the replacement camera has done exactly the same. I've approached Drift Innovation who have asked a few details, one of which was "how am I charging the camera?". I have used various USB chargers, but mostly an OEM Apple USB phone charging plug.

I'm now told that it's my fault the camera isn't working because I've killed the internal battery using a 1 amp charger!!!

I understood that if the amps were lower it would just take longer to charge and rather than rapidly degrading the battery it would more likely increase its life??

I think it's a load of bs from this guy at Drift - not to mention they only sell it with a USB cable, no charger included.

Am I right?

That's interesting, I am experiencing a similar issue, if I charge the camera and long life battery together, I get around 5 hours. If I have been exchanging emails with the support guy, he has been very good so far, but we haven't reached a conclusion why I get more recording time if I charge the camera and long life battery separately rather than together. Nowhere does it state what amps the charger should be, in fact I charge mine from a mapline dual usb socket plug and always have done

Thats a bollox comment by them, the camera will only draw what it needs to charge just like any other device. Request the show you within their own instruction manual where it states anything related to the type of charger to use.

EDIT from their own website
https://driftinnovation.com/blogs/support/ghost-x
8ef549cf1a691b1bc8ad861cdba2223d.png
Well thank you for that. Fits my thinking perfectly. You've also confined I'm not totally losing it, at least not just yet

Thanks

That's interesting, I am experiencing a similar issue, if I charge the camera and long life battery together, I get around 5 hours. If I have been exchanging emails with the support guy, he has been very good so far, but we haven't reached a conclusion why I get more recording time if I charge the camera and long life battery separately rather than together. Nowhere does it state what amps the charger should be, in fact I charge mine from a mapline dual usb socket plug and always have done
Useful to hear this. Not sure which guy you're speaking to...

I also have an additional bigger battery, which came with a dedicated cable. I have now begun - or rather began until the unit packed up completely - to charge the cameras with no battery attached, in order to confirm the internal battery was getting charged.

I'm told today that the bigger battery has a dedicated cable to ensure it gets a proper charge and so there's no imbalance between the internal battery and the bigger battery.

You can probably see why I know I'm being fed utter bollox.

I'm beginning to think they know the internal batteries are no good, but they have no idea which batches have them. It's that or is old stock, or both!!!

Their batteries could be affected by voltage variances or it may not be the battery itself but the circuit board attached to them.

Useful to hear this. Not sure which guy you're speaking to...

I also have an additional bigger battery, which came with a dedicated cable. I have now begun - or rather began until the unit packed up completely - to charge the cameras with no battery attached, in order to confirm the internal battery was getting charged.

I'm told today that the bigger battery has a dedicated cable to ensure it gets a proper charge and so there's no imbalance between the internal battery and the bigger battery.

You can probably see why I know I'm being fed utter bollox.

I'm beginning to think they know the internal batteries are no good, but they have no idea which batches have them. It's that or is old stock, or both!!!

I had one of the larger batteries replaced, they told me to charge it on the camera all the time :) But I have found with my testing charging separately works better. I have only ever experienced one support bloke at Drift UK, his name was Ollie. I've had to contact them a few times over the last year with various problems, and it is always him that responds. I've always found him good. When I started getting battery issues, he offered me a code to get a discount on a new unit.

I had one of the larger batteries replaced, they told me to charge it on the camera all the time :) But I have found with my testing charging separately works better. I have only ever experienced one support bloke at Drift UK, his name was Ollie. I've had to contact them a few times over the last year with various problems, and it is always him that responds. I've always found him good. When I started getting battery issues, he offered me a code to get a discount on a new unit.
Hmmmm....yes, apparently it's Ollie I'm speaking to, but God knows who we're really speaking to.

But what you have confirmed is that what I've been told today by 'Ollie' is a load of old shite. I already knew, but after feedback here, I'm going back with my concrete wellies on!

I can't flippin spend £120 twice a year because their product is duff. I love the form factor! It's the only sensible version out there. And I have for Drift cameras, I've been a good customer, but now I'm running s little low on enthusiasm for them :-/

ask them to replace within 14 days as faulty.

Claim in small claims court, they will never challenge it. Get the bailiffs round. Get your money, buy something else.

I have had 6 successful claims this way.

Their batteries could be affected by voltage variances or it may not be the battery itself but the circuit board attached to them.
I think the main issue, for me, is the attempt to blamed me for using perfectly situated charger - most of the time as I've used other USB chargers, some fast chargers.

You're thinking a bit like me. I'm guessing it's cheap PCBs or duff batteries or both our something else. But it's not too do with Howe I've been charging it... And I'm guessing they know what the issue is but are stuck with their stock bla bla bla. Ah old retail story

IMHO they got worse rather than better when the released the new 4K over the Ghost S. I heard so many bad reviews that I resisted buying the new version. I still run with my Ghost S. Best option to change batteries and the plug for USB and MIC are located on the back away from getting caught up.

I've got a Ghost XL - I've spent more time trying to charge it, renew the firmware and re-setting it than I have using the thing. Ollie from Drift was completely unsympathetic and pretty useless. I got more help from the developer in China, at least he was able to help me reset the camera. That was just after Christmas when the camera was new. I eventually got it going - once up and runnning it performed well and did what is was designed for.

Fast forward to last week and a repeat of the whole charging, renewing firmware and resetting saga and this time I can't get it to accept a charge. I too like the shape, size and functions - just wish I could get it out the box, charge it and use it when I want to. I think a waranty claim for a replacement camera is due.

Probably a faulty battery or charging circuit in the unit, none of which is user replaceable unfortunately

I've got a Ghost XL - I've spent more time trying to charge it, renew the firmware and re-setting it than I have using the thing. Ollie from Drift was completely unsympathetic and pretty useless. I got more help from the developer in China, at least he was able to help me reset the camera. That was just after Christmas when the camera was new. I eventually got it going - once up and runnning it performed well and did what is was designed for.

Fast forward to last week and a repeat of the whole charging, renewing firmware and resetting saga and this time I can't get it to accept a charge. I too like the shape, size and functions - just wish I could get it out the box, charge it and use it when I want to. I think a waranty claim for a replacement camera is due.
Interesting. This kind of matches my experience, though my issues have only been with power supply.

I think I'm with Andi Archer on this one. Poor software and cheap components.

Probably a faulty battery or charging circuit in the unit, none of which is user replaceable unfortunately
I'm inclined to agree. But it's emerging to be a common and consistent problem. If go a little further and say it's cheap components and poor software. They may have gotten themselves a good lens and CCD but they've 'saved' money on the other components!!

I'm inclined to agree. But it's emerging to be a common and consistent problem. If go a little further and say it's cheap components and poor software. They may have gotten themselves a good lens and CCD but they've 'saved' money on the other components!!

I'm back to charging the camera and battery separately. I Charge them together, then take the battery off and finish off the charge, I am back to 8 hours of use doing it that way, whereas if I charge them together I am around 4 and that is with the larger battery. Pity because when it's working it does a really good job, have had mine nearly 1.5 years now and been pleased with the video results. I only use mine for safety on loop (car dvr mode). But I've had a few times lately where it won't switch on, so have to hard reset

I'm back to charging the camera and battery separately. I Charge them together, then take the battery off and finish off the charge, I am back to 8 hours of use doing it that way, whereas if I charge them together I am around 4 and that is with the larger battery. Pity because when it's working it does a really good job, have had mine nearly 1.5 years now and been pleased with the video results. I only use mine for safety on loop (car dvr mode). But I've had a few times lately where it won't switch on, so have to hard reset
Well according to Ollie at DI, you should charge them together so you get "an even and balanced charge" .

I'm doing much the same as you - charge together, then removing battery module and charging again to make sure the internal battery is really getting charged.

My latest update on this story was that in the moments before posting the camera back to DI, i instinctively tried to switch it on, one last time. It came to life!!! So I immediately got it plugged into my Samsung fast charger - cos according to Ollie 1amp charging is not good. It appeared to be fully charged and I've been using it since.

So I'm curious that you too have have suffered the 'not switching on' issue.

I wish they'd rework the guts of these cameras with better hardware and software then charge for it. The form factor is one of the best.

Well according to Ollie at DI, you should charge them together so you get "an even and balanced charge" .

I'm doing much the same as you - charge together, then removing battery module and charging again to make sure the internal battery is really getting charged.

My latest update on this story was that in the moments before posting the camera back to DI, i instinctively tried to switch it on, one last time. It came to life!!! So I immediately got it plugged into my Samsung fast charger - cos according to Ollie 1amp charging is not good. It appeared to be fully charged and I've been using it since.

So I'm curious that you too have have suffered the 'not switching on' issue.

I wish they'd rework the guts of these cameras with better hardware and software then charge for it. The form factor is one of the best.

Ive experienced the not switching on 3 times now, I have to to a hard reset

using the button by the memory card (you stick a paperclip in it). That seems to kick it back into life, but you then need to log onto the thing to make sure it hasn't reset your options.

Well stone the crows, blow me down with a feather and all that stuff! After a really stubborn week where I couldn't get the blimmin' camera to do anything it has decided to come back to life and looks like it's fully charged!

So far I've reset it using the pin hole reset button, re-flashed the unit using the instructions on the Drift website and tried re-charging it using three different chargers. I kind of gave up and just left it plugged in to the USB port on the PC - a trickle charge over four days or more seems to have done the trick.

Shame I couldn't get it going in time for my trip to the Brecons last weekend!

Any thoughts or advice on the best charger to use?

Back
Top Bottom