Germany & Austria trip

Last day before the ferry dash, we set off from Kempten (hotel was fine and had a very nice steak restaurant just around the corner) towards Saarbrucken where we'd booked at the B&B hotel for that night. We decided to hit the autobahn for a couple of hours to get to Black Forest area, first stop was at Mummelsee after I'd stocked up on Scho-ka-kola. Mummelsee was very busy, had a swish around the shops there and carried on into Le France, via the Rue de Bitche and out the other side into Saarbrucken. Walked into town in the evening to grab some food and relax a bit.

tvwC4Ox.jpg

LNAd6U2.jpg

lyYHdiZ.jpg

ygoFMfW.jpg

dhu3x8Y.jpg

JnKMgwl.jpg

o5MXQeJ.jpg

he7NsUc.jpg

1BlfJOQ.jpg

Setting off on my own on Sunday, I rode through Luxembourg and out the other side towards Bastogne. My plan, despite having around 500km to cover was to take in a few WW2 sites of interest on my way back. Arrived in the town of Bastogne, stopped at some lights and noticed the battle damaged Sherman to my left. Spent 15 minutes having a look around it and was pleased to see that it had been unmolested and treated with respect, which may not have been the case had this been in the UK.

qxZ91oU.jpg

hWguYLc.jpg

YaL3Gse.jpg

63LfZN4.jpg

CYAmpss.jpg

it0VYXk.jpg

yyhinhL.jpg

jzsP786.jpg

As I mooched through Bastogne on my way to Foy to visit the 101st Airborne foxholes I saw signs to the memorial just outside town and decided I had to visit. An amazing place situated atop a hill and with great views whos history was clearly explained via the maps on each pointer.

Cydd9wl.jpg

ZO19ifJ.jpg

C9DJNs2.jpg

ZwErTb0.jpg

O2xqVvM.jpg

iXQMFPg.jpg

aiZJ8FC.jpg

Last visit before I made tracks was to visit Foy. I am relative newbie to Bastogne's history but I understand this was where the 101st were pinned down attempting to retake the town of Foy in the distance, while being shelled for days on end by Germany troops and Panzer divisions in the village itself. The foxholes that some men called home for days or weeks perhaps, 75 years ago, are still very much there. Quite a haunting and sad place but I am so glad I visited.

BCqHG07.jpg

KPisKoq.jpg

IEX4bFD.jpg

Y7v11Tk.jpg

GoMOH1J.jpg

DXsGpLM.jpg

hgGuQDC.jpg

a3tJgzI.jpg

Decided i had enough time in hand to visit the King Tiger at La Gleize, so on I went through some fantastic Bastogne countryside. Not sure if it was because it was a Sunday, or if the Belgians are just that cycling mad, but there were droves of them. Had to be careful going uphill because if there was a bend leading into it from the top inevitably a group of mad cyclists would come barrelling round it all over the road (including my side!) Very nice part of the country though and a great last stop before I hit the autoroutes back to Rotterdam.

jxR2wjO.jpg

dnryHIT.jpg

06drUnQ.jpg

oKiRBE6.jpg

f0PAfpu.jpg

Bike vs wind turbine for scale, these things are immense!

1NvtKOB.jpg

iKMfSQd.jpg

With the miles done and no queue for the ferry I was straight on and in. Really really empty just like on the way out. Had some nice clear views on the way out of Rotterdam later on when we set sail, and a good crossing. A million thanks to Fluffmeister and Von Stolberg, and a million regrets that Fluff was not able to make it but I know he will be 100% there next year.

5Fx7HQB.jpg

qYdaYF7.jpg

hlT3sRP.jpg

1ZYnZMN.jpg

Aha, Only just noticed this :D
Crackin' good trip despite regretable absence of Fluffmeister ;)

Quality pics Roomie ;)

See ya soon :thumb

best way to tell a great trip story is with pics.....excellent story this one

Aha, Only just noticed this :D
Crackin' good trip despite regretable absence of Fluffmeister ;)

Quality pics Roomie ;)

See ya soon :thumb

Glad our plans all panned out, despite me not being able to go due to the passenger in the prostate

VLS

Just seen this thread ... what a great trip you had ! Thanks for taking the time to post it all .. looks brilliant !:)

I’ve just come across your report. Excellent. Thanks for posting, particularly the maps/routes. Useful for a bit of research.

Excellent trip info and pics. Thanks for posting and visiting my namesake village (Foy) planning a similar trip next year.

No worries chaps. This has reminded me I really should post some bits up from our trip to France last month, which I am pleased to say Fluffmeister was able to return on. Sadly Von Stolberg couldn’t make it, but he did a solo trip just a few weeks ago. Given we all have different limitations on time off and personal circumstances, this was probably the best we could have managed given the varied travel restrictions this year.

cf4ac659830cd5734c11138e8f380784.jpg

Back
Top Bottom