France Trip

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe (I have never been there) that Riders Rest can provide their guests with a bunch of suggested rides to take, centred on the guesthouse.

One thing confuses me in the picture in post #12. The picture says that the journey between Quarré-les-Tombes and Treignac is 382 miles. This seems a long way. I guess you set it up as Quarré-les-Tombes to Périgueux, then from Périgueux back to Treignac? I would estimate the journey from Quarré-les-Tombes to Treignac at much closer to 300 miles than 400.

Yes they can . Rob and Mandy are great hosts and tossers will love the ‘ home cooking ‘ if you don’t like all that foreign shite :)

One thing I can be reasonably sure on is that the menu on offer in Quarré-les-Tombes, will probably be shall we say, pretty ‘regional’. I can bet that snails will be on there somewhere. Give them a try, if you’d not been told what they were, the chances are you’d never guess. They certainly won’t kill you, that’s for sure. I think half of the fun in going ‘foreign’ is to try different things and not to play it safe by heading towards somewhere with the ‘Full English’ each morning, you can have that every day at home. Just like the strange language spoken, it’s all a part of the fun of being away.

PS I am sure that ‘Riders Rest’ is very nice; it is certainly popular.

I believe (I have never been there) that Riders Rest can provide their guests with a bunch of suggested rides to take, centred on the guesthouse.

One thing confuses me in the picture in post #12. The picture says that the journey between Quarré-les-Tombes and Treignac is 382 miles. This seems a long way. I guess you set it up as Quarré-les-Tombes to Périgueux, then from Périgueux back to Treignac? I would estimate the journey from Quarré-les-Tombes to Treignac at much closer to 300 miles than 400.

Thanks, Think it's the way I did it.

One thing I can be reasonably sure on is that the menu on offer in Quarré-les-Tombes, will probably be shall we say, pretty ‘regional’. I can bet that snails will be on there somewhere. Give them a try, if you’d not been told what they were, the chances are you’d never guess. They certainly won’t kill you, that’s for sure. I think half of the fun in going ‘foreign’ is to try different things and not to play it safe by heading towards somewhere with the ‘Full English’ each morning, you can have that every day at home. Just like the strange language spoken, it’s all a part of the fun of being away.

PS I am sure that ‘Riders Rest’ is very nice; it is certainly popular.

Don't mind trying different foods.

Don't mind trying different foods.

Good man.

I had jellyfish in China. I pointed out to my host that it was a brave man (with a lot of experimentation) that ate the first jellyfish. He observed, that it was an equally brave and experimenting man, who ate the first coconut!

Here is my proposed route.Just need to pick a hotel in Etreaupont. And a stopover between Locmariaquer and Rotterdam.

Attachments

• 20200918_134727.jpg
    20200918_134727.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 225
By way of simple example only, the St Jean hotel in Wimereux.

It’s only B&B but as there are lots of restaurants and bars in the town and on the long sea front. Cheap and quite adequate enough for one night.

It’s probably too far up along the coast for you but it will give you an idea.

You only need to type something like ‘Fecamp * hotels’ into Google maps and hundreds of hotels populate the map, enough to cater for all tastes, sizes and wallets. Zoom in and out and pick one you fancy.

bd77ccfebd44cb0a07d6b146b44b6c19.png

* I just picked that as a town at random from the map.

It looks like you are building yourself (with patience and a bit of advice) a good holiday, across some great bits of France. Now, just don’t ask what the weather will be like; not least as you’ll find out exactly on the days you are there.

Stay well and fingers crossed that all the Covid-19 stuff is over, for all of us, by the time you roll onto the ferry in Hull and back off again, at the end of a great jaunt.

It looks like you are building yourself (with patience and a bit of advice) a good holiday, across some great bits of France. Now, just don’t ask what the weather will be like; not least as you’ll find out exactly on the days you are there.

Stay well and fingers crossed that all the Covid-19 stuff is over, for all of us, by the time you roll onto the ferry in Hull and back off again, at the end of a great jaunt.

Thanks. Bit of tweaking for my trip back up to Rotterdam and its looking good. Think I am lucky had two trips on bike this year. Have not done any bike moves this year due to the Covid situation.

Looking at the last leg of your route, the two days from Locmariaquer to Rotterdam, it rather depends on whether you plan on breaking this into two equal length legs or into two unequal portions.

I’d maybe be tempted to devote the second day * to a simple (further but quick) motorway run from somewhere further away from Rotterdam and spend longer to the west. The whole lot gets pretty congested once you start getting onto the axis: Arras, Lille, Gent, Rotterdam, unless you cut closer to the coast: Abbeville, Calais, Brugge. There is not much to recommend riding through Boulogne, I always take the motorway to miss the place out, no matter which way I am going. At some point you will have to cross the river Seine, at I guess roughly Rouen. I’d advise not going through Rouen itself (if you come anywhere near the place, hit the motorway, which sort of peters out into a drag past goods yards and industrial estates) but maybe head towards the Honfleur crossing or cut across at say, Caudebec-en-Caux or Tancarville. When we go to Le Mans from Calais, down the D roads, we most often cross the Seine at Tancarville. For such a large river, there are not so many ways of crossing it. The only other alternative is to go to the east-south-east of Rouen in the gap between that city and Paris.

* What time do you need to arrive at the terminal?

Four pm. Just wondering if to stay at Quarré-les-Tombes for two nights ? And after Riders Rest two nights at Locmariaquer and then maybe three days getting back up to Rotterdam.

Two nights in the Morvan works, as it is a big area to ride around in and you are right at the north of it.

Both of these are longer than they might look at first glance, so maybe edit them to suit yourself. The first takes you down through the Morvan, the second actually away from the Morvan and into Burgundy itself.

8eb546cd51b898e01acdbd9b99684051.plist

6754f38c9d95024fc3ec1060819adcc4.plist

For example, you could miss out the loop Autun, perhaps?

Or you can see how you could mix and match the two together centred around Lormes, which has a decent cafe in it, which I have taken assorted Tossers to on Wapping’s Wanders in the past.

Or just take a Michelin local map and ride around. You can’t go wrong, really. That is what I would do. Do maybe take a bit of care, as a couple of the bends in the hilly hedged part can suck you in and bite. I spent a happy day down there with two friends of mine and one of the ex-motorcycle coppers who used to be with Rapid Training, who is a friend of one of my friends. We had a great time.

df59a653a8ea885d22b55772fb551b80.plist

Thanks. That sounds good and i will print that off.

Vezelay ancient village has a superb restored cathedral at the top of the hill. Park at the bottom and its a gentle stroll up among the bars and bistros to the top - 10 mins max.
And theres a massive statue to Vercingetorix the leader of the Gauls who had his final battle at Alise-Sainte-Reine to the north. Impressive.
BTW it can get wet in the Morvan. Often shrouded in clouds.

It looks like you are building yourself (with patience and a bit of advice) a good holiday,

It's getting planned so much that there won't be much point in actually going.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom