Brecon and mid wales campsite???

Headtester

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm thinking of heading off to mid Wales for a couple of days, found this campsite at Llangorse near Brecon;- https://www.activityuk.com/
I've got a loose plan to ride there, stay over night at Llangorse, spend a day riding in mid Wales, camp overnight again and then head home.

Any other thoughts or suggestions please? Any better places to camp?

Cheers

there's a very good chippy just down the road in Talgarth at the Castle Hotel.

It's a nice village but can get very busy. That campsite is some distance from the village so if you want to be able to walk to a pub or shop, I would choose somewhere else like this one in Talybont http://www.talybontfarmcamping.co.uk/ - the road from there, past the reservoirs to Merthyr Tydfil is a cracker and then you are slap bang in the middle of the Brecon Beacons National Park.

Thanks Wessie - that sounds like better plan. Have you stayed there?

Reading the website I don't suppose they want me bothering them by calling on a Sunday so I'll give them a ring Monday.

Thanks
Headtester

No, I lived downstream on the River Usk near Abergavenny so it is a familiar area. I go back from Cheltenham a few times each year on daytrips. I can get to the Welsh coast at Aberaeron and back in a day, 250 miles. More likely to go as far as the Brecon Beacons for lunch and turn back home via a different route.

This is where I stay in that part of the world...............

http://www.heritagecoastcampsite.com/

Careful where you go...............

Some areas are in lockdown with no traffic in or out.....

Caerphilly County Borough:
Sadly as of 8th September Caerphilly District went into lockdown this includes no travel in or out of the Borough at this time.
We will be contacting forthcoming visitors from Caerphilly District to remind them of the restrictions which include travel to other locations including The Val of Glamorgan.
We are grateful to Welsh Government for their support and regular updates during this pandemic.
Keep safe!!!

https://www.facebook.com/valetents/photos/a.1456470251256098/2854966271406482/?type=3&theater

This is where I stay in that part of the world...............

http://www.heritagecoastcampsite.com/

Careful where you go...............

Some areas are in lockdown with no traffic in or out.....

Caerphilly County Borough:
Sadly as of 8th September Caerphilly District went into lockdown this includes no travel in or out of the Borough at this time.
We will be contacting forthcoming visitors from Caerphilly District to remind them of the restrictions which include travel to other locations including The Val of Glamorgan.
We are grateful to Welsh Government for their support and regular updates during this pandemic.
Keep safe!!!

https://www.facebook.com/valetents/photos/a.1456470251256098/2854966271406482/?type=3&theater

The campsite is some distance from the Brecon Beacons and close to the major population areas where there is one lockdown and probably more to come. Whilst the Vale of Glamorgan is lovely, somewhere to avoid right now. I recommend the OP stays north of the A465 Heads of the Valleys road in the countryside.

I agree, I wasn't suggesting he used that site, it just happens to be one of my favourites in Wales. Although I do visit Brecon whenever I stay there, it gives me a nice ride through the Brecon Breacons and an enjoyable stop at the pie & beer shop (The Brecon Tap) in the town!

I was just pointing out what might be a difficult area to travel through.

I agree, I wasn't suggesting he used that site, it just happens to be one of my favourites in Wales. Although I do visit Brecon whenever I stay there, it gives me a nice ride through the Brecon Breacons and an enjoyable stop at the pie & beer shop (The Brecon Tap) in the town!

I was just pointing out what might be a difficult area to travel through.

It's only the M4 corridor, which includes the S.Wales valleys that is problematic. Once you go north of the A465 the population density is pretty low. If you look across the country, the major problems are in the motorway corridors. M9 in Scotland, M4 in Wales & Wiltshire, M62 in Manchester & Yorkshire, M5/M6/M69/M42 in the Midlands. All have major population centres along them.

No, I lived downstream on the River Usk near Abergavenny so it is a familiar area. I go back from Cheltenham a few times each year on daytrips. I can get to the Welsh coast at Aberaeron and back in a day, 250 miles. More likely to go as far as the Brecon Beacons for lunch and turn back home via a different route.

Talybont-on-Usk is in a beautiful location. The 2 pubs, The White Hart and the Star are excellent.
At £19 to pitch a tent , may as well grab a bunk in the White Hart for 25 quid. Beautiful canal there and as Wessie says, the ride up Pontsticil reservoir behind the Beacons is lovely.

Thanks all, have rung Talybont, am waiting to hear back from them - need to check if they have opened their "facilities". If not I may go with my original option - if their loos are open.

Thanks for the Heritage coast suggestion, it's a bit further south than I was aiming for (and a bit close to the lockdown area)

I know I could do the B&B / stay in a pub thing but I fancied camping. I'll be on my own so I don't want to be too remote in case I break something (me, the bike, the tent).

Cheers

Back to plan A - staying at Llangorse. Talybont looked like a good location but they weren't fully open. Llangorse were open for business and sounded both efficient and welcoming.

An update: Stayed a couple of nights at Llangorse; it was very quiet, clean and tidy. Car park right next to the camping field, clean loos. Camping field slopes down hill a bit but it was easy enough to find a flat bit.

No idea how busy it would be in term time or when there were lots of activities being run (it's a small activity centre) but out of school holiday times it was spot on for me. Spent a really good couple of days riding around the Brecon Beacons and across to Aberaeron with the return leg via the Devil's Staircase.

Thanks to all for the suggestions, the ride along the resevoirs was indeed very picturesque.

Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom