V-Strom 650

Jazbee

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm seriously considering a DL650, all the reviews I've been reading seem to be very positive on this bike, seems to be the leader in its class. Have a mate with a 2014 one and he loves it, its a nice size for touring and not overly heavy or bulky but still has presence.

Some good deals around on new bikes but considering maybe low miles 2 or 3 yr old but perhaps new

What's the impressions of the owners on here? Doesn't seem to have many areas of concern or faults, lots made and sold so issues ironed out?

Cheers

Jazbee

V Strom 650's don't have reliability issues, ride and forget in that respect. Need to keep on top of cleaning etc or they do corrode. Plenty of advice on the V StromUK forum. don't pay too much as there are plenty about. Riding position can be tuned with higher or lower seats as can pegs etc. Plenty of screen options. Not that light though. They can't match the new bikes like the F750GS for tech or safety features.

Hello Jazbee, I owned a DL650 a few years back, stonking value for money motorcycles. Well proven and pretty much bullet proof, the only criticism I have was it lacked a little oomph when you wanted to overtake.
Have you considered its' bigger brother? I have just bought a new 1050 (not the XT, the council edition) from Cupar Motorcycles, 3 years warranty and cost me less than what I paid for a brand new Honda Firestorm in 1998 :eek:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-pre-...177926?hash=item289c3171c6:g:~L8AAOSwyrBfT8~B

Plenty out there, good luck in your search.
Rob.

i've had one for almost 3yrs now. greatly underestimated bike. i came from a 09 gs so did miss the outright grunt for a start. it has enough power, just have to rev it harder. it is a fair bit lighter than my gs was and that was my reason for changing. it was the only decent legroom bike i could find in that power/weight range and i still needed a cymark peg lowering kit(knees). it handles and sticks to the road ok. 60+mpg. the only thing you will miss will be the brakes as the strom brakes are just adequate but soon get used to them. i got a decent deal from shirlaws( john gilbert)

Just like Jags I have a 3 year old DL650 from new.
8000 miles in. I rode it down to Bordeaux last summer, very comfortable & all the power you need for a solo rider. I would imagine it carries a passenger no probs.
I've changed the oil & filter three times, changed the brake fluid once & adjusted the chain twice. Nothing else, not even a bulb.
Still on the original tyres, outstanding fuel economy.
Fantastic machines,

Bought my 2014 model at 18 months old with 2.5K on it and paid just £4K. The dealer messed up a bit with his price tag! It replaced my 1100GS as I wanted something lighter but still big enough to tour 2 up. It has taken my wife and I on three Spanish tours and has been 100% reliable. Check that any recalls have been done. Mine had two recalls. If you pootle about you can get 70mpg, in fact we averaged 67mpg on a 2500 mile tour two up in mountains. If you gun it you can get down to mid 40s, but it isn’t really that sort of bike. I have added lowered pegs, Givi Airflow screen, up and back risers. Just remembered I had one issue which was a sticking throttle. It was cured by a few drops of oil on the throttle body return springs. Basically they are good value bikes when new and ridiculously good value if you buy a good used one.

Now on my second. The first carried me and her and full luggage through France to Spain with a week in the Pyrenees without trouble. Never went wrong.
Fun can be had by those who know how to change gears.

Hello Jazbee, I owned a DL650 a few years back, stonking value for money motorcycles. Well proven and pretty much bullet proof, the only criticism I have was it lacked a little oomph when you wanted to overtake.
Have you considered its' bigger brother? I have just bought a new 1050 (not the XT, the council edition) from Cupar Motorcycles, 3 years warranty and cost me less than what I paid for a brand new Honda Firestorm in 1998 :eek:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-pre-...177926?hash=item289c3171c6:g:~L8AAOSwyrBfT8~B

Rob.

That 1050 is tempting!

am out of biking right now, but want a tour next year with a mate.... I reckon one of these could do the job. Cheap to buy, sounds a good enough ride and after the tour i can either sell it on or keep it for little money - could be a winner!

am out of biking right now, but want a tour next year with a mate.... I reckon one of these could do the job. Cheap to buy, sounds a good enough ride and after the tour i can either sell it on or keep it for little money - could be a winner!

i think if you sell it you will lose a fair bit of cash, a good bike but seem to depreciate heavily.

wasnt intending on buying new, so was hoping i could just pass it on to a new owner with a minimal hit (less than renting a bike for example)

Dont dismiss this bike for touring. Its all day comfortable for racking up the miles. Ive had 3 incarnations of the bike although in 1000cc guise, KLV1000 included.

If you need a little bit more oomph, get a smaller front sprocket or a larger one fitted to the rear and a Speedo Healer (total cost about £100). It looses a bit top end and a few mpg but using the gears, solo, it will keep up with a GS twin cam up to the ton. After that it can run out of steam. As they are a tall thin bike, high speeds can induce a weave that's a tad annoying at times but not too unnerving.

My mate has a V-Strom 650 2009 he replaced his CBF600 for this bike and says its much better.

As for the lack of power, im not sure... he seems to fly along following me no problem, it surely must match anything else 600ish wise?
and to be fair, you dont buy one of these and expect to be chasing superbikes lol

However for touring/camping its just the job.
My mate used to carry most of the kit for both of us when i had my CBR, which is why i bought the GS. so he no longer had too.

Like most bikes that have been around a bit, the manufacturer have ironed all the niggles out and got them running good.
as long as you buy one thats been looked after, you should have no problems.

We are talking about a bike that you can buy a great used example of for less than a couple of years depreciation on a new GS.

I test rode 2012 V-Strom. The shop was happy for me to ride for about an hour. 10 minutes later I returned and bought it. I have now done a few thousand miles on it and it's done everything I've asked of it. Try one. :thumb

I had a 2011 model for a short while.

Easily the worst bike I have ever owned. Gutless engine, poor “tail weighted” handling and the worst build quality imaginable.

On the plus side it took me on my first alps trip and was very economical and comfortable. It was sold very soon on its Return though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rob.
Hi Big Rob, I was down in Fife last week and nipped in to Cupar Motorcycles to have a look, they have stock of new 650 and 1050 XT and one or two low mileage used bikes, had a good chat with one of the sales guys so will see whats what.... pity its moving into winter or I would probably moved on this (but could be some sweeter deals in the colder months )..... 650 XT is prob still my favoured choice for a few different reasons. I have always found the Cupar guys very good to deal with over the years, better than Shirlaws which is closer to me

i was tempted to try cupar when i bought my vstrom but a salesman is a salesman and you just have to stand out for the best deal. i was happy with the deal i got from shirlaws and i get on ok with murdo in the workshop. you almost cease to exist to the salesmen after the deal is done although john gilbert at shirlaws suzuki is ok.

Back
Top Bottom