A potter around Asturias/Picos etc

Thanks for the writeup.

The map detail is really quite interesting and does give food for thought for future trip planning.

I have saved a few screen shots to refer to later.

Here

a652e1d9cfb3d25adc753ee900d7b8bd.jpg

A great informative writeup marred only by this fekkin photo.:barf

Enjoyed it....the photos AND the route maps. Ta for making the effort. :thumb2

What's wrong with a nice steak, chips and a roasted pepper?

Looks delicious to me.

What's wrong with a nice steak, chips and a roasted pepper?

Looks delicious to me.

It was , veal steak , not that I had much room after sharing this huge Fabada starter

d18caea2224884088a6cf60f6c2c07c5.jpg

c424476631d2de2590a01d384df71787.jpg

Homemade cheesecake was amazing too .

Hotel Del Oso, one of my favourite places anywhere . You can keep your nondescript 4/5 star concrete boxes .

The icing on the cake was being greeted by 8 week old Maia

3cacc2fc26047c7d0f93532e0fb1f22c.jpg

Oops I did a wee

cc5040d92b9d0d8c22f887820be5243b.jpg

The owners have lost both their old St Bernards in last 2 years or so but now have a 2 year old plus new edition Maia who is adorable.

Currently sat in the bar at the stern of Cap Finistere having a beer heading home.
Second time on this old girl and much prefer the layout to the larger Pont Aven

8783fc864ad2ed3108df05de33927b93.jpg

29f245ce5ae309871d3f7df83ee4bb08.jpg

Just a shame that the usual table service restaurant is currently operating as self service with a more limited menu due to the covid bollox..

Met Mark aka Easyrider5258 at check in .
Top bloke and hoping he’ll see my message and swing by for a beer .

Found him .
Two old duffers

845070995871bc0e9fc6162c983c65ee.jpg

Pleased you have had another great trip. Looking great!

Perhaps next year, I could join you for what seem to be annual pilgrimage to Asturias. However I might have to starve for week or so.

Pleased you have had another great trip. Looking great!

Perhaps next year, I could join you for what seem to be annual pilgrimage to Asturias. However I might have to starve for week or so.

We’ve been doing it for 5 years.
It’s probably my year off again next year as I don’t go when cûnt-features goes .
A week in his company was enough two years back so now we alternate .
Enginerelight is obviously more tolerant than me .
Some on here will know who I’m on about .

It’s probably my year off again next year as I don’t go when cûnt features goes . Some on here will know him :)

Colle de la bonnette it is then.

Good one Martin .... enjoyed :thumb

Crabby can go fuck himself :D

:beerjug:

Arsey tours sounds good.

I’m conflicted! It’s an area I’ve never visited and would love to go but I don’t want to come back 2 stone heavier with all that gorgeous looking food!

I’m conflicted! It’s an area I’ve never visited and would love to go but I don’t want to come back 2 stone heavier with all that gorgeous looking food!

I love Asturias/Picos.
Stunning scenery , perfect roads with zero potholes .
Find a road which runs same route as a motorway and it’ll be deserted .
Western Asturias is literally empty with some of the best roads I’ve ever ridden .
We’ve done more corners this week than you’d do all summer in UK !

The food is even better in Galicia but there’s more traffic .

In the village we base ourselves in (only 3 nights of the 8 this year), a beer is €1 and a litre of house red is €6 !! And it’s delicious. Poured out of a barrel behind the bar and served chilled.

The area is heavily meat and fish based . You don’t see much veg.
I recall Nutty got so upset by this that he refuses to go back . But he is a bit of a drama queen .
And a crap flouncer :)

I could spend a week at the Hotel Del Oso, sat on the terrace with a large g and t watching the rain .....

Oh yes, did I mention that this part of Spain doesn’t have drinks measures. The gins we had were probably quadruples!! The biggest being in a fantastic back street bar in Vigo where they also had gorgeous IPA on draft and a lovely waitress serving us .

Here ya go

https://youtu.be/cMiHHXHmLBI

Or perhaps the Hotel Del Oso won !:)

https://youtu.be/Fvq74e6rIxY

fababda :drool

no caldo?

mmm cheesecake

hotel del oso is on the list now you bad man :D

thanks

Good write-up, enjoyed that - made me think of taking a trip there. Thanks for posting all the pics and routes.

This years trip is go !!
I’m not going to do a running commentary , so Wessie will be pleased , but I’ll post the odd bit which might be of interest .

This is my route this year . I’ll be leaving the others at H next week and riding back to Brittany.

24ab6860303e47db45e2af3825fdf9cb.jpg

Evskij got the boat to St Malo and met me in Brittany then we road down to stop in Rochefort followed by Argeles-Gazost via the Col du Tourmalet.

ef737413c9d0444c23e6f615a1c71179.jpg

122c32155f8e37389c5153ba0d0fe88a.jpg

4c0a00c413e165b6dc49f81f003f88a8.jpg

Today we road over the Col du Soulor, and Col de la Pierre St Martin . Both stunning

584e2f1dffd66a0eddc910e8ae90f4a2.jpg

02c469b46ca9fa3fa6300b7bf435ad0a.jpg

bd033281024fba784d682fac06afe5fe.jpg

Cracking ride between Burgui and Lumbier but the ride past the dam on the LR-113 was shite as so bloody bumpy with bad surface

We’re now in Santo Domingo du Silos and the other seven have arrived , five off the Santander ferry , one from Cascais and one from Valencia .
We now have nine of us for the next week .

I’m on my 701LR and it’s been fabulous .
All day comfy and getting 300 miles to reserve .
So light and flick able yet happy to sit at 80+ on straights , with the Nomad tower providing good wind protection .

Happy to pm anyone with more detail .

Back
Top Bottom