XR or RS

Mullabrack

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Considering changing my XR for a new RS before I lose my license! Anyone made that particular change. I know they are chalk and cheese but as my 12 year old son comes everywhere with me nowadays on the bike I reckon there is more chance he will still be on the back of the RS when we get to our destination!!!

Any thoughts apart from don’t do it!!!

As you say, chalk and cheese.

I regularly tour with my best friend who rides an XR and he’s never yet hit any higher speeds than me on my RS, although he does enjoy accelerating hard, while I just think that’s often a waste of time (he often just ends up braking hard too!).

You can easily collect those pesky points on either, I’d have thought that having your son as pillion on either bike would be enough cause for restraint.

Don’t get me wrong, I ride accordingly with my son on pillion but sometimes im glad there is a top box there as added security and if he’s not happy about something he lets me know via the intercom! I’m assuming with the torque of the new RS shift-cam engine overtakes would be as swift as the XR..

The revvy urgency of the XR compared to the torque and lower revs of the RS... I wouldn’t recommend changing without a test ride.

Considering changing my XR for a new RS before I lose my license! Anyone made that particular change. I know they are chalk and cheese but as my 12 year old son comes everywhere with me nowadays on the bike I reckon there is more chance he will still be on the back of the RS when we get to our destination!!!

Any thoughts apart from don’t do it!!!

I have literally just got rid of my XR for that very reason and have gone to a R1250GSA (i've got an old TwinCam too). On the ride to the dealer is was difficult to ride the bike at the speed limit as it just wants to go. On the ride home today on the GSA, was a lot more relaxed, no slower really, maintaining the speed limits easily without feeling the need to constantly press on.

Can I throw a Ducati in to the mix as an option

In my mind it blends all the lunacy or the XR together with some of the lazy torque of the boxer engine but with more poise and panache

Oh and the AA trucks like them more

My son has ruled out the GS as in his own words “it’s a sad day if you don’t see a GS” as he thinks they are everywhere! I have a test ride on the RS tomorrow so going to that with an open mind. Love the XR but tend to end up in Dynamic Pro when solo and you end up being a bit silly. Great fun when your in the mood but sometimes you just want to kick back. Maybe I have hit that age and haven’t realised.
The Ducati I have looked at but it’s very similar to the XR so maybe something different would be best and besides, how many times were you honestly over 100mph on your last ride out. I’ll wager not too many if you value your license!
Decisions decisions!!

My son has ruled out the GS as in his own words “it’s a sad day if you don’t see a GS” as he thinks they are everywhere! I have a test ride on the RS tomorrow so going to that with an open mind. Love the XR but tend to end up in Dynamic Pro when solo and you end up being a bit silly. Great fun when your in the mood but sometimes you just want to kick back. Maybe I have hit that age and haven’t realised.
The Ducati I have looked at but it’s very similar to the XR so maybe something different would be best and besides, how many times were you honestly over 100mph on your last ride out. I’ll wager not too many if you value your license!
Decisions decisions!!
In so many ways it is similar to the XR but then it is so different

Lazy lovely L twin rumbles along at a good sensible pace without drama but then get the DVT opened up and it becomes a different beastie but as said just lovely to ride and should not be dismissed at the sort of money you are looking at any way

I have a 2016 XR and a 2016 RS. I have been asked a number of times which one I would keep if forced to choose. I do not know the answer. I had the 2020 XR on loan whilst my XR had the big 18k service and I am not minded to think about changing. Perhaps you need to budget for a good used R1200RS rather than trading in the XR for a new one?

FWIW, from my own experience, if you ride the XR like a twat you will still ride the RS like a twat. It's your irresponsible attitude that threatens your licence not the XR!

The Ducati will be next up for a test ride and I do like the whole Ducati thing (currently 7 of the things here!!) but will see what tomorrow brings. I tried to do a deal on a Ducati last week in London but they wanted close to 8k to change from 2018 to 2019 with slightly more miles and slightly less spec!!! Obviously that went nowhere pretty fast..Salesman seemed surprised I thought like that!

Wise words Wessie and your right to an extent but I have a Bonneville here as well and never feel the need to ride past the speed limit on that so whilst I can be over indulgent on the XR I certainly don’t feel that urge on something more relaxed.

Everything in moderation I suppose..

Just back from my RS test ride which was very useful. The RS was a very pleasant unthreatening bike with masses of torque and enough acceleration to keep most sane folk happy.
Handling was nice and composed and after 3 laps of the UGP circuit I would be quite happy “making progress“ under real world conditions. Seat was comfy and the ride for me was def more comfortable than my XR.
Down sides, well def more wind blast even with the screen in the up position, sat Nav not in riders eye view and the quick shifter was a big step down from my XR but I was expecting that. Apart from that I was impressed although why they don’t do them in more interesting colours I don’t know. Front end looks def a big improvement.
Will I change? Not sure but the numbers are ok at the moment but panniers and rear rack are adding another grand! Ouch..
Another sleepless night on the cards....

The screen is crap, for me an MRA screen fixed the blast and noise, looks good as well, I re positioned the sat nav above the clocks(tft) with a new bracket £60, an as new rack from a 1200rs from ebay £45, and panniers from BMW Bohling online £650. If you have panniers and top box for your XR, they are the same items as the rs.

Thanks for all the useful info. Interesting about the nav bracket. I wasn’t aware it could be repositioned. I have full luggage on the XR but it would be part of the trade in and I have priced colour coded ones for the RS.
Will google the MRA screen.

Regards

That looks good on the bike and as you say not like a barn door.. Where did you get the bracket for the sat nav?

Back
Top Bottom