XR or RS

Probably a very sensible idea but strange to think my 12 year old can be so influential. You gotta love parenting ...

Probably a very sensible idea but strange to think my 12 year old can be so influential. You gotta love parenting ...

plus a child might love it now but have no interest in a year's time or might grow to 6'4" or 20 stone (mine did both) and no longer fit.

Buy the bike you want. If other family members want to join in then let them. If they don't they can find another hobby.

As a final update took the RS out for a second test ride today two up with my son and I have to conclude it’s not for me on this occasion. If my riding was mostly solo it would be fine be two up is not for us. Wind noise and road noise was quite an issue and our intercom was struggling. Nice bike but also missed the height and urgency of the XR. (Oh, and a proper quick shifter!) On returning we took a GS1250 out and I have to admit it ticked a lot of the boxes. It just does everything right. The XR (when in the mood) would still walk away from it if that’s your thing but 90% of the time it would get there just as quick.
Whilst I enjoyed the RS on this occasion I will have to pass.
Thanks to all for your input..

I've just swapped my gen2 XR for a 1250rs. The RS has much more useable real world power, far more relaxed to ride, effortless overtakes instead of dropping 3 or 4 cogs to get the xr screaming enoughto access the power. I find the seat ,more to my liking but the XR riding position was better for longer rides as there is no weight on the wrists.

We have both, the girl has a new XR and I have a nearly new 1250RS. Both are nice bikes to ride, but the RS is a better touring bike. The XR screen was changed to a shorter one to get rid of the wind roar around the helmet, but it uses 20% more fuel than the RS. There is no performance difference as we always ride together within bike to bike coms distance.

Back
Top Bottom