Frankfurt, not the first place you’d think of....

Wapping

Reaction score
....to go.

When it comes to Germany, by and large bods play it safe. The Black Forest, the ‘ring, the Harz and the dams. All of which are fine . When I created the additional sub-section of north and central Germany, I saw it as a good opportunity to post up any alternative destinations that I happened to trip over. One such came up in the latest edition of Tourenfahrer magazine 10/20.

It is based on Frankfurt but you certainly don’t have to stay there, though I am sure there are very much worse places in the UK. I guess the magazine chose it as it’s somewhere just about everyone has heard of or maybe the bod who penned the article just happened to live there? Anyway, here is the route:

c816c063c0425165fbf1234705104336.png

You can download the gps file from the magazine’s website:

https://www.tourenfahrer.de/tour-datenbank/tour/rhein-main-970/detail/

for two euro or just use the excellent map on the webpage to create it yourself. It is that easy. The website also has the pictures used in the magazine article, which will give you a pretty good idea of what it should be like.

Frankfurt is only 375 miles from Calais. Far enough if you a]were in a Lancaster bomber but nothing for an ‘Adventure’ Nike rider. You can even stop off in Luxembourg to ride around the Ardennes on the way.

Just to see where one article could take me, I then tried something else. The Tourenfahrer article (I don’t speak German, beyond ordering a beer, saying hello, thank you, counting to 10 and asking for a bed) told me that Frankfurt is in the Hessen region. I then Googled up ‘Hessen Motorrad Touren’ which is sort of German (I guess) for motorcycle tours in Hessen. Anyway, it was good enough for me to find this in under one minute; a complete tour suggestion based on Frankfurt:

876ab72f7861824dfbb58049fa50bcaf.png

From this site here: https://www.motorradstrassen.de/touren/erlebnisrouten/motorradstrasse-hessen

Which will even give you the tour in biker friendly gps download from the ever popular Kurviger website for free, here:

11430294f27da085774e6b9bb262514e.png

It’s 1,800 km long, so don’t think you’ll knock it off in a morning. It does though show both how large Germany is and, not least, how many alternative ideas it can deliver, if you want to give it a go. You can see that the bottom tip of the route is close to the top of the Black Forest and Baden-Baden. Why not try it as an alternative or maybe use just one of the sides of the circular route to get there or come back?

Along with suggesting ‘biker friendly’ hotels to stay in, if that’s your thing.

The internet, an iPad and a bit of imagination was all I used. I guess it took me under five minutes, including tapping out this post and answering the door to a UPS delivery man.

Back
Top Bottom