New R18?

So I made it down to Alton. No sign of a smoking exhaust but I found this:
1e2e091a416580b5fd9827e7164b3b80.jpg

It’s actually not too out of scale with the original:
ab8d418e7c1467375390ea52befc5926.jpg

And you can see where the tank inspiration came from too:
bf7b17ac50193de6ecbff5f6bc712f1c.jpg

7f5d18de7a2d84f63af7c64bdf1218b5.jpg

I was only offered an hour and a quarter test ride, which I was originally miffed at.

But once I had got out on the bike I realised a quarter of an hour would be too long, let alone 1.25! My spine started to get hammered and at 6’ I felt the pegs were too close.

So I gratefully returned the r18 to base, hoping my body would recover for the off-road outing tomorrow on the KTM .

Of course the r18 had arm-wrenching power and different riding modes like Rock, and Roll (no I don’t know either)...but lacked the character of the Road King or the smooth creaminess of the Goldwing Bagger.

So that’s £18k I’ve saved already this week...and it’s only Monday!

One final photo:
eb6af4882a6a0aa3e6bc9d212fa01fbc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wonder if they will do a rotapax in black to fit for the intrepid traveller ?

I watched the review of the R18 by Revzilla last night. The reviewer ground the pegs at least 5 times , once on the slip road to a freeway which is hardly in the twisty realm. Every review I've read or seen has criticized the cramped ergonomics, especially if you are taller than 5'10 or 11". That alone would dissuade me from buying, I like my boards and forward controls/highway pegs. :thumb

Each to their own though....it certainly looks nice (apart from those God awful pipes.:mad:)

Great and fair review Simon, excellent photos to give some context re history, very nice looking bike, although subjective, definitely a big credit to bmw for a brave move, but the suspension is too firm, fine for a teenager, but they won’t buy one.
If someone like Maxton could be brought in to improve the suspension, re comfort, this bike could be really nice, you didn’t mention the motor characteristics, which I found it excellent for this type of bike?

Like you the firm suspension was a deal breaker for me...

Apparently, there are quite a few options available including different exhaust pipes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Great and fair review Simon, excellent photos to give some context re history, very nice looking bike, although subjective, definitely a big credit to bmw for a brave move, but the suspension is too firm, fine for a teenager, but they won’t buy one.
If someone like Maxton could be brought in to improve the suspension, re comfort, this bike could be really nice, you didn’t mention the motor characteristics, which I found it excellent for this type of bike?

Apparently, there are quite a few options available including different exhaust pipes!

[/QUOTE]

Batman: you are right that I didn’t do the bike full justice. The engine is pretty impressive and doesn’t really need a 6 speed box, pulls like a train. And handling wasn’t bad once you get going, the torque judder at start off soon disappears along with the weight.

But doing a u-turn in a gravelly country lane near Bahnstormer was a chastening experience (and ended up being a 9 point turn).

It will be interesting to see how it sells. For now, my eyes remain on the Goldwing bagger!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Batman: you are right that I didn’t do the bike full justice. The engine is pretty impressive and doesn’t really need a 6 speed box, pulls like a train. And handling wasn’t bad once you get going, the torque judder at start off soon disappears along with the weight.

But doing a u-turn in a gravelly country lane near Bahnstormer was a chastening experience (and ended up being a 9 point turn).

It will be interesting to see how it sells. For now, my eyes remain on the Goldwing bagger!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

I believe the bike is fitted with an electric reverse gear locate near the left side panel, using this might have made your u-turn a wee bit easier.....maybe to just a 6 or 8 points :D :D

Can the suspension not be adjusted then? Or do they have it set softer?

Perhaps, I never though to check it, maybe the preload can be reduced.:nenau

However, It didn’t appear to bother the fella who tested the bike before me as he placed his order there and then!

If it is an issue I’m sure the the mothership will soon address it.

It will be intersting to see how this R18 project turns out.

At first it may appear as a totally useless bike, with no touring qualities, no weather protection, limited turning abilities and too expensive.

But the same thought struck me when I saw the 9T for the first time, and the 9T series have turned out to be BMWs next best selling bike.

The R18 does not seem to make much sense. But I looks like BMW have launched lots of optional equipment that enables the owner to customized the looks and styling of the bike.

And this may appeal to lots of riders. People that can afford more than one bike, money is not an issue and they buy it just for the hell of it as the bike appeals to them.

These predictions remain to be seen, but we have seen it again and again. Common sense is not always an issue when buying a bike :aidan

I think your right Knutk, 95% of us we don’t buy our bikes for need or for practical reasons apart from a 17 year old buying cheap transport to get to work on time.

We buy them for fun, whether its fun hooning around on a sports bike or a simple ride out to a cafe, or touring Europe or the globe on a big (or small) adventure bike etc. Or even just to own and admire a nice bike in our garage like someone else might enjoy a nice painting or a nice watch.

It’s about want, my mates and me have this conversation regularly down the pub, perhaps it’s my age group 65 - 70yrs. We have now accumulated most of the things that we actually need so now it’s about the things that we want to enjoy while we still can.

The R18 will find its place in the market, and apart from the firm rear suspension, on a smooth road I found it quite a nice bike to ride with a lovely motor that created a great sound!

Like you the firm suspension was a deal breaker for me...

Same happened in 1998 with the R1200c

Rear suspension was too harsh too

Rainbow BMW had a demo and test riders complained bitterly

They commissioned Maxton to build a proper rear shock

Problem solved

Every customer who tried the revised bike, bought one and had a Maxton shock fitted at pdi

A great dealer, who recognised how to transform the bike to make it saleable

Pity individuality is lacking from the dealer network now

JB, that’s really interesting for me as I acquired an almost unused 1999 1200C in January this year, I like to ride it but not very far as it’s too firm for my cronky old back.

I’ll get in touch with Maxtons to see if they can sort something out for me.

Perhaps they will end up making a bespoke unit for the new R18 which will be good.

Incidentally, my bro has got some bespoke Maxton shocks on his Velo and it rides and handles like a dream and it’s also very comfortable. Mick Grant got two pairs made up by Maxtons to his own spec, one set for his Velo and the other set for my bro’s bike. They are set surprisingly soft but work great.:thumb

Thanks for that!

It sounds awesome from the driving seat!

Maybe it depends on whether your a ‘looker’ or a ‘listener’ ?

JB, I talked to Richard at Maxtons today and you previously posted he still has the settings and he can fix me up with a proper rear shocker for my R1200C

He just needs my weight when I’m wearing all my biker kit!

Cheers buddy :thumb

PS. I’ve no doubt that Maxtons will be the guys to make the new R18 a really great bike to ride

Sat on one today.
The riding position seems very weird and the cylinder heads are definitely blocking a natural peg position.
Very under-whelmed with the overall build quality and finish.
It just didn’t look special to me and not a £20k bike.

Back
Top Bottom