New R18?

I must say for me the R 18 is an embarassment for BMW ! It is heavy , has no ground clearance and no power ! Like a Harley but with a smoother and quieter running Boxer...No center-stand,no Telelever,tubed wheels...:eek: but very smooth thanks to the center bearing...I kind of hoped BMW would have saved the money/resources for better things than waste it to join the old/dying boring-cruiser market...Bad timing to join this party as even Harley doesn't find enough clowns & posers for their heavy/underperforming & over-priced boat-anchors...I kind of wished that BMW would had brought a more unique bike like Ducati has done with the Diavel than making a german Harley...Lighter with more ground clearance and leg-room , Tele-Lever and a supercharged Boxer I might have been more excited but the current product while nicely made is for me too me too and to boring...I actually like the R1200C better...;)
Oh well different strokes for different folks...:D
In 2-3 years the R18 will be gone...For me BMW is Bau-Haus All Go and not All show no go.
Form follows function...A tool for riding on roads and tracks and practicality and comfort.
Bikes like the 1250GS as also S1000RR and XR represent what BMW stands for...The R 18 doesn't !

I must say for me the R 18 is an embarassment for BMW ! It is heavy , has no ground clearance and no power ! Like a Harley but with a smoother and quieter running Boxer...No center-stand,no Telelever,tubed wheels...:eek: but very smooth thanks to the center bearing...I kind of hoped BMW would have saved the money/resources for better things than waste it to join the old/dying boring-cruiser market...Bad timing to join this party as even Harley doesn't find enough clowns & posers for their heavy/underperforming & over-priced boat-anchors...I kind of wished that BMW would had brought a more unique bike like Ducati has done with the Diavel than making a german Harley...Lighter with more ground clearance and leg-room , Tele-Lever and a supercharged Boxer I might have been more excited but the current product while nicely made is for me too me too and to boring...I actually like the R1200C better...;)
Oh well different strokes for different folks...:D
In 2-3 years the R18 will be gone...For me BMW is Bau-Haus All Go and not All show no go.
Form follows function...A tool for riding on roads and tracks and practicality and comfort.
Bikes like the 1250GS as also S1000RR and XR represent what BMW stands for...The R 18 doesn't !

You heard it here - only clowns and posers buy Harleys :)

Like Arsey, I was underwhelmed when I looked over one on Monday.

Finish seemed pretty ordinary, cheap in places & the 2 huge pots looked ...... well fekkin HUGE, almost ridiculous.

It may suit the US market, but I can't see the attraction personally. Each to their own I guess.

Why would you buy a Harley (or a R 18) if you are not a poser ( 1% wannabee) or clown pretending something you are not (a 1%)? These bikes are heavy,expensive,underperforming in a straight line & in turns and not even comfortable with all the weight upright on your azz...:confused:
Embarrassing for BMW to join that club with junk like that for really non-riders / life-style clowns and call the R 18 "Heritage"...The R5 from 1937 that is supposedly the inspiration for the R18 was a state of the art sport-touring bike in it's time ! The 2020 R18 by comparison is everything but that...And tubed tires with no centerstand are just plain ridiculous in 2020...Who signs off on crap like this...:confused:
The R Nine T was much better but still was missing some BMW Heritage like T-L , hardbags from the factory as also centerstand , easy access to battery/airfilter and had tubed spokes...:( But at least it was rideable at a decent pace,,,:D

Why would you buy a Harley (or a R 18) if you are not a poser ( 1% wannabee) or clown pretending something you are not (a 1%)?

To kick back, enjoy the view at 14 mph , not 143 mph.

f8d6b99b054b94044adc3d175532be87.jpg

b64120efa7e60289cf6bb6e5acef3254.jpg

You will never understand

Looks like a nice road in France I have been on 27 years ago on a then new Fireblade 900RR...:thumb2
I was young & dumb & full of you know what back then but still too young for a Harley or R18 today...I can ride the GS today faster than the CBR900RR back then...:D

Looks like a nice road in France I have been on 27 years ago on a then new Fireblade 900RR...:thumb2
I was young & dumb & full of you know what back then but still too young for a Harley or R18 today...I can ride the GS today faster than the CBR900RR back then...:D

And now you’re old and dumb and full of you know what :)

Arsey you are a funny guy but I'm not quiet there yet...Is this the Gorge de Verdun or however this place in France is called ?

Arsey you are a funny guy but I'm not quiet there yet...Is this the Gorge de Verdun or however this place in France is called ?

No.

Different roads, both in the Vercors.
The first one is the Combe Laval.

Changing the subject , have those fires subsided yet ? I’m nipping to San Francisco for the weekend and was going to rent a bike and go for a gentle potter but the fires near Calistoga and Santa Rosa may mean a change of plan .

The Northstate is on fire...Air-quality is bad but at least Socal is getting better fire and air-quality wise...Let the mo-fu burn...;) I'll bet with all the high un-employment most of the fires are man-made to ensure a few well paid government seasonal jobs ! Still better than the usual welfare/taxcuts for poor millionaires...oh well. Go to the Suppenkuche is S-F and have some good german food & beer if they are open during the scam-demic...:beerjug:

The Northstate is on fire...Air-quality is bad but at least Socal is getting better fire and air-quality wise...Let the mo-fu burn...;) I'll bet with all the high un-employment most of the fires are man-made to ensure a few well paid government seasonal jobs ! Still better than the usual welfare/taxcuts for poor millionaires...oh well. Go to the Suppenkuche is S-F and have some good german food & beer if they are open during the scam-demic...:beerjug:

They won’t be unless they have alfresco dining

Arsey I checked for you...The Suppenkuche is open...:beerjug: Worth the drive ! Good food & great beer...German Hefeweizen from tab...:beer:

Got to ride the R18 today...All I can say it was not for me...;)

I just went and had a look at these.....Not very attractive are they and why such a small tank? 177 mile range is just awful for a bike that could easily accommodate a properly sized tank.
Disappointed before I have even seen one.

Huh?

1. Looks are subjective but I doubt even BMW haters will agree with your opinion.
2. 177 miles is plenty. These bikes will get parked up after 50 to allow the public to admire it. 100 miles on a bike like this and a coffee stop will be the norm.

My issue with cruisers is that they need (IMO) to ride like a Bentley. And they don't. Had 1700 Triumph - lovely bike but harsh ride and wife hated it.

No expert on why they can 't fix this but low bikes with forks that reach forwards like that look great, but I can't see how they could ever be smooth & responsive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ll look it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom