New R18?

As good as it gets over here...Gulasch & Spaetzle and a Hefeweizen...You could have done worse...:beerjug:
Glad you liked it ! The Gemischte Salad is the best...:thumb The Trout or Wilschweinbraten is very good too...Especially knowing the cooks are mexican...;) Only people who still do honest work here ! Besides myself...:D Got a mug-shot of yourself so I will recognize you next time ?

The bike has not been designed for function, BMW have already got that base covered with the GS plus other bikes from the Beema stable.

This bike is about other things, art, passion, design and stuff like that.

I see it as a lovely piece of engineering, it’s a nice looking thing, but it is mechanical art, however it’s also a very rideable piece of art to boot.

Apparently the idea was to build a modern bike to emulate the beautiful 1935 R5 which I think it does very well, to stick a big fat tank on it might make it ride a bit further but that is not what this bike is about.

1935 R5

That is a work of art...

New R18 Classic First Edition.

Yuk

f7f40c44739be4018a3ccf884ea0ea84.jpg

The tourer (RT?) looks far worse, but I think it actually has a fuel gauge at last. Someone on the K16 forum says there is already a configurator for the US market, aimed at gathering pre-orders.

I think the mothership has lost the plot with this one - each to their own I guess.

This is so embarrassing...a Harley but with a boxer and shaft-drive...:barf
I rode the bike and must say there was a single thing I liked about it...:thumb
See I'm not a BMW-fanboi...:D
That R18 needs to be turned into something special...like a german DIAVEL...Supercharger,Telelever,more ground clearance...As it is I see a few guys buying it and in 2 years they will collect dust at dealerships because Harley guys will only look at Harleys as p.o.s. as they are because they want an american icon with certain sound and looks even if most parts come from taiwan...;)
And BMW guys want something more practical with real performance and not boot-anchors that are Berlin Build...:p
Of course I might be wrong but I don't think so and would be very surprised if so...:)

New R18 Classic First Edition.

Yuk

f7f40c44739be4018a3ccf884ea0ea84.jpg

Not for me, but I don't see it as any worse than most Harleys to look at. I can see the designers on Photoshop superimposing a Harley on top of an R18

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have to say I prefer the smaller fat front wheel.

Looks like it might have slightly better ground clearance in case you wanted to actually take a corner?

pictured in canons bmw a R51 and and R18 see the family history!

Attachments

• R51 and R18.jpg
    R51 and R18.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 423
I wonder how long the radiator will last, bit of speed on a gravelly road and curtains.

Being accused of being a BMW fanboi - There was not a single thing I liked about the R 18...:D
Except for the paint and controls...:p
Berlin build - As fake and un-authentic as the rest of the bike and the clowns on the promo-videos..."Hergestellt in Deutschland / In der alten Reichshauptstadt Berlin" Approved by the Fuehrer :thumby:

Being accused of being a BMW fanboi - There was not a single thing I liked about the R 18...:D
Except for the paint and controls...:p
Berlin build - As fake and un-authentic as the rest of the bike and the clowns on the promo-videos..."Hergestellt in Deutschland / In der alten Reichshauptstadt Berlin" Approved by the Fuehrer :thumby:

Yep, the promo's for it were contrived and embarrassing.

Yes these videos were a joke with the BMW headhonchos speaking bad english and trying to be cool doing what they do best...Kissing jankee-azz as they are still occupied since 1945...:( The Fuehrer would definitely not approve of the R 18 that is as fake as a 3 dollar bill with Joe Biden on it...:D
Imagine how cool it will be and how much fun you have if you pick a nail up on the way home from your favorite hipster bar at night back to the 'burbs and you find out that tubed-tires and no centerstand don't mix...;)

I’d have that lovely big smooth grunty flat twin any day in preference to a Harley power plant.

Attached photo shows it design heritage, and how it should be ridden :D

Attachments

• FA2933EA-0701-4C5A-8D12-424CC4873711.jpg
    FA2933EA-0701-4C5A-8D12-424CC4873711.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 150
Yes these videos were a joke with the BMW headhonchos speaking bad english and trying to be cool doing what they do best...Kissing jankee-azz as they are still occupied since 1945...:( The Fuehrer would definitely not approve of the R 18 that is as fake as a 3 dollar bill with Joe Biden on it...:D
Imagine how cool it will be and how much fun you have if you pick a nail up on the way home from your favorite hipster bar at night back to the 'burbs and you find out that tubed-tires and no centerstand don't mix...;)

Funny how a lot of the magazines like the bike. But guess they are paid and don't know as much as you.

Well I have ridden it and I did like it. It was better than I expected it would be, but the ride was just a bit too firm for me, otherwise it was very good at being the type of bike it’s made to be, and apart from the ride quality, it was definitely fit for purpose.

My brother joined me on my test ride, he was on his Velocette Thruxton and we road up to Caistor square and parked both bikes side by side on the street outside the cafe. Both bikes on their side stands, both shiny black with pin stripes and they looked pretty bloody cool and they both attracted lots of lookers, but most were interested in the Beema.

That is what this bike is about, it’s cafe culture etc. however on the road it was nice and very easy to ride through the traffic, and the motor is a stonker, 900cc per pot with excellent fuelling tuned for torque, producing enough grunt to pull out tree stumps, what’s not to like.
Compared to my 1250 Rallye it’s as far away as the moon, but I give credit to BMW for having the balls to make such a bike for those riders who want this kind of tool.
Incidentally the guy who test rode this bike before me placed an order on the spot, he was a Harley man, but he liked the R18 for its differences.

Back
Top Bottom