Got myself a thumper

MarkShelley

Very similar to Paolo Maldini
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Not the most glamorous steed, but yesterday I picked up a 1994 Suzuki GN250 to fiddle with. It has done less than 9K miles and I am the 5th owner. It was covered in some sort of protective coating so I am now removing that to see exactly what I have got then I will probably give it a coating of ACF50. I think it has been looked after as it has zero advisories on the MOT history and the recently replace battery is a Motobatt. Most people would chuck a cheapo battery on such a bike. It has some patina to show for its 26 years but I don’t mind that. I will post up some pics when I get it spick and span. Most reviews seem to be be complimentary about them but they are clearly a town or B road bike. Anybody owned one?

Not the most glamorous steed, but yesterday I picked up a 1994 Suzuki GN250 to fiddle with. It has done less than 9K miles and I am the 5th owner. It was covered in some sort of protective coating so I am now removing that to see exactly what I have got then I will probably give it a coating of ACF50. I think it has been looked after as it has zero advisories on the MOT history and the recently replace battery is a Motobatt. Most people would chuck a cheapo battery on such a bike. It has some patina to show for its 26 years but I don’t mind that. I will post up some pics when I get it spick and span. Most reviews seem to be be complimentary about them but they are clearly a town or B road bike. Anybody owned one?

My Dad had one in the 1980’s

Dull, springs to mind as I remember

Pictures. We want pictures.

My Dad had one in the 1980’s

Dull, springs to mind as I remember

More of a tapper than a thumper but like he says probably good fun for back roads and town.
Pretty bike if that's your thing :)

Mark what is it with you and immaculate Suzuki’s ? The Van Van you sold me was like new and the V Stroms I seen of yours are mint.

Got it back together and polished up. Tanks is mint inside and out and side panels are likewise. Just waiting on new air filter plus oil filter and filter O-ring. Spark plug and rear shoes look new. The bars are lower than standard but I am not too keen on them so I will be changing them sometime soon.

That looks in fantastic condition.

Enjoy your new ride

Looks very nice, what oil are you using? :D

Looks very nice, but you might want to change that front brake master cylinder/reservoir assembly from one intended for high rise pullback handlebars to one more suited for the flatter bars currently fitted (unless the handlebar change you're considering is going to be to higher pullbacks, of course :D).

It's remarkably reminiscent of my GN400.

Looks very nice, but you might want to change that front brake master cylinder/reservoir assembly from one intended for high rise pullback handlebars to one more suited for the flatter bars currently fitted (unless the handlebar change you're considering is going to be to higher pullbacks, of course :D).

It's remarkably reminiscent of my GN400.

Got a set of these supposed to be arriving today.
https://www.wemoto.com/parts/picture/pw-152-359

Got a set of these supposed to be arriving today.
https://www.wemoto.com/parts/picture/pw-152-359

:thumb

I think the master cylinder assembly will still be at the wrong angle with those bars though.

I've had the same issue with a few of my former "US Special" imports when I've binned the original pull back bars....had to get "flat" reservoirs rather than the original "angled" ones.

:thumb

I think the master cylinder assembly will still be at the wrong angle with those bars though.

I've had the same issue with a few of my former "US Special" imports when I've binned the original pull back bars....had to get "flat" reservoirs rather than the original "angled" ones.

I don’t think it will be a problem as the outlet is at the low point. Had it been the other way round I guess it could be a problem.

New SR500 replica bars fitted. A massive improvement over the weird angled ones that were fitted.

Maybe it's your camera angles, but the ones that were on it looked ok for height, and only seemed to need rotating forwards a tad.
Although they did appear slightly too narrow.
The new ones look too wide....but it could just be camera angle, and it's a very personal choice anyway.

I don’t think it will be a problem as the outlet is at the low point. Had it been the other way round I guess it could be a problem.

I was more thinking about leakage from the reservoir lid joint, and don't forget that although the banjo is at the low point, the fluid orifices in the master cylinder are a fair bit higher. :thumb

I picked this up a few weeks ago, would say it’s more B road than A, lovely old thing to potter about on though.
Spares seem to be plentiful and cheap, most parts available on AliExpress :thumb

Attachments

• B3001073-8C57-4B57-99AE-16B3EAC06109.jpg
    B3001073-8C57-4B57-99AE-16B3EAC06109.jpg
    257.2 KB · Views: 176

Back
Top Bottom